Anyone have news about Eclipse ?

EydieG

My parents are on the Eclipse right now and they sent an e-mail saying that yesterday after being two hours late leaving St. Thomas the Captain made an announcement that two passengers had been in a para-sailing accident and one was fatally injured, the other in critical condition. They asked me to look on the Cruise Critic boards to see if anyone was talking about it but I haven't seen it mentioned at all. Also saw no news on Google.

My husband just reminded me that they may not be releasing any information until the families have been notified.

If a tragic event happened, this is most likely the case.

Praying for the possible victims and their family...

We heard of a similar accident while in Aruba last year but the guests were on another ship than ours... It happened first thing in the morning right after the ship docked in port next to our RCI ship... Very sad...

Also on today's cruise ship related news:

11/16/2011 9:15:00 AM Three cruise ship passengers taken to hospital in Bermuda

By Simon Jones

WEDNESDAY, NOV. 16: Three cruise passengers were taken to hospital this morning after the Grand Princess arrived in Dockyard.

A woman broke her ankle, while another male passenger was struck down by a heart condition on the journey from the Azores.

A third male passenger lost consciousness in a swimming pool but has since made a steady recovery.

All three passengers were expected to be taken via ambulance to hospital when the ship arrived in the East End at 6:30am this morning.

The ship and her 2,500 passengers will only be in Bermuda for a matter of hours until she leaves for Fort Lauderdale at 4pm.

It is the Grand Princess’s only trip to Bermuda of 2011.

Updated: November 16, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.

The Government of the United States Virgin Islands is deeply saddened by the tragic accident that occurred yesterday afternoon involving two visitors to St. Thomas that has resulted in one fatality.

At approximately 4:40 p.m. on Tuesday, two visitors – both passengers on the Celebrity Eclipse, were involved in an accident while participating in a parasail shore excursion off St. Thomas. One of the visitors was seriously injured and remains hospitalized, while the other has passed away as a result of her injuries.

Governor de Jongh expresses his deepest condolences to those affected by this tragic accident and has directed the Department of Tourism to work closely with the victims’ family to provide support and assistance in this time of need.

The circumstances surrounding this incident are being actively investigated and additional details will be shared as soon as they are available.

Upon notification of the incident, several Government agencies were convened to investigate the matter, including Virgin Islands Police Department, Department of Planning and Natural Resources and Attorney General’s Office. These agencies have also been working in collaboration with the U.S. Coast Guard at the Federal level.

In addition, the Department of Tourism remains in close contact with Celebrity Cruises to ensure that there is constant communication regarding the incident and to ensure that any concerns of cruise guests are addressed.

We remain committed to working closely with all our partners to ensure a safe visitor experience. As a prudent measure in response to the incident, the Government of the Virgin Islands has worked closely with the parasail company who has voluntarily suspended operations until the completion of the full-compliance inspection.

As additional information becomes available, updates will be posted to http://www.usviupdate.com

My parents are on the Eclipse right now and they sent an e-mail saying that yesterday after being two hours late leaving St. Thomas the Captain made an announcement that two passengers had been in a para-sailing accident and one was fatally injured, the other in critical condition. They asked me to look on the Cruise Critic boards to see if anyone was talking about it but I haven't seen it mentioned at all. Also saw no news on Google.

So sad! :( The parasailing excursion used to be on my bucket list until I heard about numerous, similar accidents and a hairy experience from my brother in-law. I took it of the list and have never looked back.

Information from a site elsewhere

Sadly the lady who died was celebrating her 60th birthday on this cruise and it is her daughter who is very seriously injured.

The family have been through a lot already this year, it is tragic our hearts to go out to them

So sad! :( The parasailing excursion used to be on my bucket list until I heard about numerous, similar accidents and a hairy experience from my brother in-law. I took it of the list and have never looked back.

I did this in Acapulco many years ago, was fascinated with it as it was like nothing I'd ever seen or even heard of back then. It was actually uncomfortable (and I'm fairly thin), as you "hang" in a body harness consisting of straps that seem to dig in to you as time goes on up there. It was fun for a few minutes, then I was happy to come down. We were taken up REALLY HIGH, and near the shoreline as well. The view was awesome.

BUT, the week after we left, on the same beach, an older woman was killed when the wind whipped up and snapped the line and thru her though a 16th floor hotel window near the Holiday Inn where we were staying. They stopped it for a long time after that. You can bet I had some BIG THANK YOUS for God for a very LOOONG time after that.

Your not missing much, really, put down hill skiing on your bucket list instead. much better rush!! :)

Your not missing much, really, put down hill skiing on your bucket list instead. much better rush!! :)

That was checked off when I was a teenager.

I'll have to check out the Carnival site, but in the meantime,

Found the following:

What next?

I am glad my wife is a women of great faith but I don't know how much more she can take.

In Aug. her oldest sister was found to have breast cancer and is not doing well. In Sept. her father passed away. It was expected but still a loss. In Oct. her younger sister was in a bad car accident and still in the hospital (way more to this story). Last night we got a call from her BIL that her sister Bernice, the sister she was closest to, was killed in a para-sailing accident and her daughter is in critcal condition. They went to St. Thomas Island to celebrate her 60th birthday.

BTW today I have a CT scan, my doctor thinks I may have cancer again.

Pray for us please.

Larry

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers. An update on our niece, she was flown to a hospital in Trenton NJ. She is in a coma with severe head trama.

Larry

Link: http://discussions.agweb.com/showthread.php?14075-What-next

That was checked off when I was a teenager.

I'll have to check out the Carnival site, but in the meantime,

Found the following:

Link: http://discussions.agweb.com/showthread.php?14075-What-next

This family has suffered so much and now this. Did you find this information on the link you posted or did the BIL post here on CC?

Archived