Inlaws supposed to get on ship today...

but they aren't. Booked cruise many months ago and used Royal gift certificates, that we (and DH's sisters) gave them, to book cruise. They did buy Royal's travel insurance plan. MIL is having dental problem and has surgery scheduled for 2 weeks from now (for after cruise). But she's taking antibiotics for this and having trouble still so she is not going on the cruise. She says she talked to the travel insurance folks and they will allow her to reschedule the cruise but must wait for the ship to return from this cruise (that she's supposed to be on). I have never cruised Royal nor have I ever needed to invoke travel insurance, so I don't know how it works. But I thought it had to be some big medical emergency that would be documented (like hospitalization), no? Or many folks would just say 'not feeling well, can't go'...right? I don't want the $700 we (DH and I...SIL's gave even more) gave her in gift certs to be wasted.

Edited by laumicmah

I´m by no means an insurance expert, but from the Sound of it, it seems like they bought the insurance from Royal and it might be the "cancel for any reason" one. Also as I read it, they are not getting their monney back, but are rescheduling the cruise. So maybe not much of paperwork needed there.

I´m sure others will correct me quickly when I´m wrong here.:)

Gosh, sounds like it will be all good. I hope!!! Not sure if MIL will have any documentation, though, as the dentist gave her the antibiotic to get her through the cruise and booked the surgery for after it. I am thinking she decided on her own to not go because she is worried about it getting worse (and being stuck on the cruise with a big issue) as the meds aren't helping but instead are causing other issues (GI). They paid the $89pp for Royal's protection plan and I am not clear if that has the 'cancel for any reason' included. I hope so...or I hope her dentist will be able to say she was unfit for travel (maybe she already has that...not sure). If they lose that $$$ (specifically the $700 we gave :rolleyes:)....it won't be good.

Edited by laumicmah

Gosh, sounds like it will be all good. I hope!!! Not sure if MIL will have any documentation, though, as the dentist gave her the antibiotic to get her through the cruise and booked the surgery for after it. I am thinking she decided on her own to not go because she is worried about it getting worse (and being stuck on the cruise with a big issue) as the meds aren't helping but instead are causing other issues (GI). They paid the $89pp for Royal's protection plan and I am not clear if that has the 'cancel for any reason' included. I hope so...or I hope her dentist will be able to say she was unfit for travel (maybe she already has that...not sure). If they lose that $$$ (specifically the $700 we gave :rolleyes:)....it won't be good.

At the worst case (if MIL cancels and cannot get doctor's ceritification that she was unable to travel) then RCI's Policy will reimburse her a 75% future cruise CREDIT (this is the RCI Policy's "Cancel for Any Reason" Coverage, whih the Policy DOES include).

If MIL cancels and can provide Doctor's certification that she can't travel, then RCI"s Policy will give her a full cash refund (this is under the normal cancellation coverage) - altho there might or might not be a "pre-existing condition" issue here..

Altho not normally at the day of embarkation, the cruiseline will generally let you re-schedule to a later date if you have an adequately compelling story - I'm wondering if this was actually the case?

I'd strongly recommend that you confirm what's going on here - I'm concerned that to cash-in on the first two cases I'm sure that you have to actually Cancel the cruise before it actually departs (you can't submit a claim until you've actually missed the cruise, but I think you have to Cancel before departure) - waiting could cause a problem and maybe denial of claim. You might have to help MIL contact both cruiseline and Insurance to verify your options?

Added: For Cancel for Any Reason, the policy indicates "To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Royal Caribbean International prior to the ship’s departure."

ken

Edited by Ken076

In the first two cases above, where a claim will have been made against the Trip Insurance, I'd expect that MIL will have to re-purchase Trip Insurance for her next cruise.

In the third case the cruiseline will often roll the Trip Insurance over to the re-scheduled trip. MIL will probably still have to pay any difference in the cruisefare itself for the re-scheduled cruise.

ken

Edited by Ken076

At the worst case (if MIL cancels and cannot get doctor's ceritification that she was unable to travel) then RCI's Policy will reimburse her a 75% future cruise CREDIT (this is the RCI Policy's "Cancel for Any Reason" Coverage, whih the Policy DOES include).

If MIL cancels and can provide Doctor's certification that she can't travel, then RCI"s Policy will give her a full cash refund (this is under the normal cancellation coverage) - altho there might or might not be a "pre-existing condition" issue here..

Altho not normally at the day of embarkation, the cruiseline will generally let you re-schedule to a later date if you have an adequately compelling story - I'm wondering if this was actually the case?

I'd strongly recommend that you confirm what's going on here - I'm concerned that to cash-in on the first two cases I'm sure that you have to actually Cancel the cruise before it actually departs (you can't submit a claim until you've actually missed the cruise, but I think you have to Cancel before departure) - waiting could cause a problem and maybe denial of claim. You might have to help MIL contact both cruiseline and Insurance to verify your options?

Added: For Cancel for Any Reason, the policy indicates "To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Royal Caribbean International prior to the ship’s departure."

ken

The OP should have her inlaws call the insurance emergency number today if they want to use their insurance. Prompt notification is important to their claim.

As far as your statement about moving to a future date, is this something you have experienced? We just cancelled a cruise, yesterday which is after final payment and with insurance, and were not allowed to move any funds or our next cruise credit to a future cruise. I would think a broken ankle and possible surgery would qualify as a "compelling story".

The OP should have her inlaws call the insurance emergency number today if they want to use their insurance. Prompt notification is important to their claim. YES!!!!!!!

As far as your statement about moving to a future date, is this something you have experienced? We just cancelled a cruise, yesterday which is after final payment and with insurance, and were not allowed to move any funds or our next cruise credit to a future cruise. I would think a broken ankle and possible surgery would qualify as a "compelling story".

As recall sets in - this WAS Carnival, probably two years ago. The key was that we were not "cancelling" and that the cruiseline was "re-scheduling". We did this within 60 days of departure (but not NEAR departure) and after some discussion and such the rep agreed to "re-schedule" and we of course had to pay the difference in cruisefare. I was told this is handled on a case-by-case basis.

So with Royal, all I can suggest is to try to go higher in the guest resolution chain and hope for some cooperation - I'' do some searching an see if I can find any favorable Royal Caribbean posts.

For what it's worth - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2010030&highlight=re-schedule in post #15 molly361 looks to have had a similar situation, albeit several years ago and no details. I'm surprised that they would not work with you on this.

ken

Edited by Ken076

As recall sets in - this WAS Carnival, probably two years ago. The key was that we were not "cancelling" and that the cruiseline was "re-scheduling. Yes, we did this within 60 days of departure (but not NEAR departure) and after some discussion and such the rep agreed to "re-schedule" and we of course had to pay the difference in cruisefare. I was told this is handled on a case-by-case basis. So with Royal, all I can suggest is to try to go higher in the guest resolution chain and hope for some cooperation - I'' do some searching an see if I can find any favorable Royal Caribbean posts.

ken

We wanted to reschedule too, wasn't going to happen. Spoke to many different departments including resolutions. We have started our claim and will deal with Berkley.

As far as the OP, I hope they make all the notifications that they need to make. I was told if we were cancelling, it needed to be BEFORE the ship sailed. To get full reimbursement, a doctor will have to sign the forms saying that you are unable to travel. If the doctor won't say that, then it is a cancel for any reason claim and a 75% future cruise credit. Even with my DH and his broken ankle, he can't just say he doesnt want to travel and get full reimbursement, the doctor needs to sign off that he is physically unfit to travel.

We wanted to reschedule too, wasn't going to happen. Spoke to many different departments including resolutions. Surprised/Sorry to hear that!!! We have started our claim and will deal with Berkley. So your Doctor provided the required note and you're getting the "Cash" refund?

As far as the OP, I hope they make all the notifications that they need to make. YES!!!!! I was told if we were cancelling, it needed to be BEFORE the ship sailed. The Policy specifically requires notification to RCI prior to ship's departure for the "Cancel for Any Reason"; for some reason the Policy is differently and slightly less specifically worded for the normal Trip Cancellation coverage. Some hurried, pre-departure phone calls are definitely in order!

To get full reimbursement, a doctor will have to sign the forms saying that you are unable to travel. If the doctor won't say that, then it is a cancel for any reason claim and a 75% future cruise credit. Even with my DH and his broken ankle, he can't just say he doesnt want to travel and get full reimbursement, the doctor needs to sign off that he is physically unfit to travel. EXACTLY. .

Ken

Okay...so I think MIL called Royal and cancelled. I think it will be all good and they can use credit for future cruise. Not sure if MIL will have medical documentation or not...but I think everyone will be happy with the 75% if they don't. Shoot, though, I'd have been on that ship today come he-- or high water...really could use a cruise right now (been looking at RCI for a 1st cruise after 7 CCL cruises...just not sure which one and when).

Okay...so I think MIL called Royal and cancelled. I think it will be all good and they can use credit for future cruise. Not sure if MIL will have medical documentation or not...but I think everyone will be happy with the 75% if they don't. Shoot, though, I'd have been on that ship today come he-- or high water...really could use a cruise right now (been looking at RCI for a 1st cruise after 7 CCL cruises...just not sure which one and when).

The 75% future cruise credit is the worst that they should get, as long as they cancel with RCI prior to ship's departure (otherwise they could conceivably be denied the 75%).

Have you looked at the (7-day) Grandeur Bermuda Cruise out of Baltimore? Otherwise Allure or Oasis out of FLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken

Edited by Ken076

Ken

Claim was just started yesterday so we are awaiting forms to have signed but I would expect a full refund of all refundable charges. I had called Berkley earlier in the week and specifically asked what would be the likely refund if we didn't sail because my DH decided he just didn't want to sail on crutches. Rep said that would likely fall under the "cancel for any reason clause". Doctor verification of unfit to travel would be needed for a full reimbursement. I also asked about notification since the documentation states that prompt notification is required for reimbursement but the latest for an injury prior to sailing is before the ship sails. I just wanted the OP to make sure all the calls were made today prior to sailing.

Just to clarify our frustration, we understand we are after final payment and would most likely need to file an insurance claim. We purchase insurance for every cruise because we realise accidents happen. We spoke to the cruiseline and the insurance company multiple times this week prior to making our decision not to sail. The frustration arises from a conversation that was not entered into the notes on our reservation and the cruiselines unwillingness to check to see if that call was indeed recorded. Once the claim is settled, we will then decide what further steps we need to take.

To the OP, sorry I have highjacked this thread a bit, I just want to make sure you have your inlaws make all the necesary calls before it is too late. I hope they are able to take a cruise in the near future after the dental issue is corrected.:)

Edit: Glad she has made the calls and understands the 75% possibility.

Edited by reallyitsmema

The 75% future cruise credit is the worst that they should get, as long as they cancel with RCI prior to ship's departure (otherwise they could conceivably be denied the 75%).

Have you looked at the (7-day) Grandeur Bermuda Cruise out of Baltimore? Otherwise Allure or Oasis out of FLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken

Have looked at a couple Grandeur cruises (8 day one over Thanksgiving maybe) and the Bermuda ones out of NJ (ship?). And, of course, we REALLY want to do the Oasis. DH just saw a show about that and it's all he can talk about. MIL wants to try that ship too.

Claim was just started yesterday so we are awaiting forms to have signed but I would expect a full refund of all refundable charges. I had called Berkley earlier in the week and specifically asked what would be the likely refund if we didn't sail because my DH decided he just didn't want to sail on crutches. Rep said that would likely fall under the "cancel for any reason clause". Doctor verification of unfit to travel would be needed for a full reimbursement. I also asked about notification since the documentation states that prompt notification is required for reimbursement but the latest for an injury prior to sailing is before the ship sails. I just wanted the OP to make sure all the calls were made today prior to sailing.

Just to clarify our frustration, we understand we are after final payment and would most likely need to file an insurance claim. We purchase insurance for every cruise because we realise accidents happen. We spoke to the cruiseline and the insurance company multiple times this week prior to making our decision not to sail. The frustration arises from a conversation that was not entered into the notes on our reservation and the cruiselines unwillingness to check to see if that call was indeed recorded. Once the claim is settled, we will then decide what further steps we need to take.

To the OP, sorry I have highjacked this thread a bit, I just want to make sure you have your inlaws make all the necesary calls before it is too late. I hope they are able to take a cruise in the near future after the dental issue is corrected.:)

Edit: Glad she has made the calls and understands the 75% possibility.

I hope it works out for you guys. How frustrating!

• 3 months later...

I know it's been over 3 months, but I just wanted to update. MIL did get medical documentation for her situation and was told her travel insurance would cover...they also did cancel before the ship left. She filed the paperwork...had to fax it (had to find a fax machine and then fax it) and was told they would get $500-something per person back when cost of the cruise was about $1700pp (I cannot remember exactly how much but total was $3000something). They were told they would only get back what they paid via credit card and that the over $2000 that we gave them in gift certificates would be lost...that RCCL gift certificates are non-refundable and non-transferable EVEN with purchase of travel insurance. Nobody was told that at the time of booking. Needless to say we were all pretty ticked. MIL and FIL made many phone calls and complained to many people up the line and eventually they agreed to give them an RCCL credit for the amount of the gift certificates. Just wanted to give warning for those who think of buying gift certs. Inlaws were told by RCCL that most folks gets small gift certs and apply them to their cruise tab (like OBC).

Edited by laumicmah

I know it's been over 3 months, but I just wanted to update. MIL did get medical documentation for her situation and was told her travel insurance would cover...they also did cancel before the ship left. She filed the paperwork...had to fax it (had to find a fax machine and then fax it) and was told they would get $500-something per person back when cost of the cruise was about $1700pp (I cannot remember exactly how much but total was $3000something). They were told they would only get back what they paid via credit card and that the over $2000 that we gave them in gift certificates would be lost...that RCCL gift certificates are non-refundable and non-transferable EVEN with purchase of travel insurance. Nobody was told that at the time of booking. Needless to say we were all pretty ticked. MIL and FIL made many phone calls and complained to many people up the line and eventually they agreed to give them an RCCL credit for the amount of the gift certificates. Just wanted to give warning for those who think of buying gift certs. Inlaws were told by RCCL that most folks gets small gift certs and apply them to their cruise tab (like OBC).

Wow, I'm glad that they went up the chain with this one and got a satisfactory resolution. And good information to know if anyone is going to give RCCL gift certs in larger denominations. Certainly, being told that they are non-refundable and non-transferable at time of purchase and use is critical information to know.

And this was the insurance that told her this? I wonder what would have happened with third party insurance? The GCs were indeed non refundable costs...wonder if they would have had as much trouble with non cruise line insurance.