Compensation - Millennium Alaska - Interrupted and Canceled Cruises

sandyss

The cruise fare is generally listed as a separate line item from the taxes and fees on US bookings. Non-US bookings may not be set up the same way. Our invoices show one line for the cruise fare, one line for the taxes and port fees.

I think that what we received on board for missed port charges is all that we will get from that category. The cruise fare is what I think we should expect to receive back as credit for the missed cruise and that should be the same amount we will see as FCC. Others may have been told differently, and it is a very confusing situation all around.

Sandy.

We already received the refund for our cruise. The credit was in two parts. 100% of the cabin cost and 100% of the port fees. A small amount of taxes was refunded to us while on the ship.

We enjoyed meeting both of you.

Did you end up being flown to Anchorage or Vancouver? We ended up in Vancouver.:mad:

Sandy.

We already received the refund for our cruise. The credit was in two parts. 100% of the cabin cost and 100% of the port fees. A small amount of taxes was refunded to us while on the ship.

We enjoyed meeting both of you.

Did you end up being flown to Anchorage or Vancouver? We ended up in Vancouver.:mad:

Enjoyed meeting you as well. Too bad our trip was cut short.

Did you go through a travel agent or did the credits just show up? Maybe those with travel agents are doing better? Will the 100% including taxes and port fees be the future cruise certificate that we receive?

The person I spoke to at Celebrity was quite firm that I was receiving nothing further.

We wound up in Anchorage after a lot of difficulty.

Just spoke to Celebrity and we already got back the taxes/port charges on board - about 33 dollars so all that we will be getting back is what we paid for the cruise fare.

That's not what I understood at all but I guess "full refund of the cruise fare paid" means just that. Since Vancouver is an expensive port we are getting so little back and they do not have a break down on what each port charges.

Not too happy about this. It means I'm only getting back 88.45% of what I paid. I think it's unfair. Anyone else think so and have you gotten any different results?

Thanks.

I don't have a dog in this hunt....but I don't believe there are any taxes paid on port charges, so you should get back 100% of the tax paid on the cruise fare. As far as port charges, that's really a slippery slope for Celebrity....it might make sense to their green eyeshade folks, but it wouldn't make very good publicity on some of the consumer web sites or TV channel consumer advocates. Very few of us focus on the cruise fare not being 100% of what you are paying.

For the record, when they refunded 100% of the cruise price on the Century problem, it was 100% of what you paid....none of this port charge/tax stuff.

Hopefully, it's just being sorted out by celebrity hq and you will, ultimately get back 100%, perhaps on different days, etc. In the scheme of things, the port charges are a miniscule part of the cost of this problem to Celebrity...I just can't imagine they are nickle and diming here.

We were supposed to sail this Friday, and I'm starting to get a little impatient.:rolleyes: So far, I have been reimbursed for two shore excursions I had purchased for my mother on a separate booking, but nothing yet on mine. I know the cruise has now been officially cancelled in the system, and I'm hoping for my refund before my credit card statement closes on the 21st since I've had to pay for another cruise and all that goes with it to salvage vacation!

I have also not yet received the reimbursement for my air change fees which I was told would be posted to my credit card by last Friday.

Our party was to be on the Aug 23rd sailing, and as of this date, I have received nothing in the way of credit to my card. I have submitted "air change fees" to be refunded ($200.00 per person as I understand it) by mail as instructed by my TA, and sense that it will take some time to process that.

Originally, I was told by my TA that the refund would come within 3 weeks; we're getting pretty close to that date now.......will keep you advised.

Enjoyed meeting you as well. Too bad our trip was cut short.

Did you go through a travel agent or did the credits just show up? Maybe those with travel agents are doing better? Will the 100% including taxes and port fees be the future cruise certificate that we receive?

The person I spoke to at Celebrity was quite firm that I was receiving nothing further.

We wound up in Anchorage after a lot of difficulty.

Glad to hear that you were able to go to Anchorage. Even though we had been promised Anchorage twice, we ended up in Vancouver - at 4:00am.:(

The credit just showed up on the credit card that we had used. I had called Celebrity and was told that the credit would be applied within a couple of days, and that is what happened. We did not work through our TA.

The amount that we were credited was, in total, equal to the "advertised price" of our cabin, which was cabin plus port charges. Taxes are always a separate add-on. The credit that we received on our statement of ship charges, while on the Millie, looked like a pro-rationed credit of taxes not applied for the last two days.

My guess is that our FCC will be equal to the advertised price - cabin plus port charges. I doubt that we will receive the taxes portion.

We were supposed to sail this Friday, and I'm starting to get a little impatient.:rolleyes: So far, I have been reimbursed for two shore excursions I had purchased for my mother on a separate booking, but nothing yet on mine. I know the cruise has now been officially cancelled in the system, and I'm hoping for my refund before my credit card statement closes on the 21st since I've had to pay for another cruise and all that goes with it to salvage vacation!

I have also not yet received the reimbursement for my air change fees which I was told would be posted to my credit card by last Friday.

We were told that they were working on credits on the order of the sailings...we were supposed to be on the 8/23 sailing and I have seen nothing yet.

I also have big credit card bills for airfare changes (we were already in Alaska on the Cruise Tour), hotels and food bills that were incurred because we could not cruise. I've about given up on getting it before credit card bills close...gonna have a huge credit I suppose next month.

I need to cancel our flight reservation we were going to use tomorrow to Vancouver for the Sept 13 sailing. It's a ticket we bought with airline miles. I could swear I've read a number of posts (not necessarily on this thread) that Celebrity is reimbursing up to $150 per person for fees to redeposit miles back in to frequent flier accounts. I just got off with the redeployment desk (888-281-9343) and they're telling me reimbursement up to $100 per person. United will charge me $150 to redeposit. Am I crazy, or have others been reimbursed up to $150 to redeposit miles? Thanks!

Glad to hear that you were able to go to Anchorage. Even though we had been promised Anchorage twice, we ended up in Vancouver - at 4:00am.:(

The credit just showed up on the credit card that we had used. I had called Celebrity and was told that the credit would be applied within a couple of days, and that is what happened. We did not work through our TA.

The amount that we were credited was, in total, equal to the "advertised price" of our cabin, which was cabin plus port charges. Taxes are always a separate add-on. The credit that we received on our statement of ship charges, while on the Millie, looked like a pro-rationed credit of taxes not applied for the last two days.

My guess is that our FCC will be equal to the advertised price - cabin plus port charges. I doubt that we will receive the taxes portion.

Then it's not the full cruise fare paid since we wouldn't be able to go without paying those taxes/fees. The Celebrity rep told me it was port charges but I think it's fees/taxes. It's just irritating that they are being picky about this. Next year if we do the same itinerary we will have to pay those fees again and they are not covering them.

When I got to Anchorage all I could do was sleep I was so exhausted from the tension and all the waiting around. It was supposed to be a relaxing cruise after a few difficult months. We're now waiting for my youngest to have a baby and then we can be free to cruise again.

Then it's not the full cruise fare paid since we wouldn't be able to go without paying those taxes/fees. The Celebrity rep told me it was port charges but I think it's fees/taxes. It's just irritating that they are being picky about this. Next year if we do the same itinerary we will have to pay those fees again and they are not covering them.

When I got to Anchorage all I could do was sleep I was so exhausted from the tension and all the waiting around. It was supposed to be a relaxing cruise after a few difficult months. We're now waiting for my youngest to have a baby and then we can be free to cruise again.

Congratulations on the impending birth of your grandchild. That's a good reason to stay around home.

It makes sense to me that taxes are not included, since those go to government entities, and not to Celebrity. Cruise pricing never includes taxes.

That last day on the ship was hellacious. Lots of stress waiting in lines for hours, only to receive promises that the Go Team was not able to keep.

Today we received two credits totaling $2269 on AMEX (one was easily identifiable as the upgrade amount we'd prepaid from Classic to Premium Beverage package). They still owe us $1804, but I suspect that will hit on a VISA card since we had used two different cards over the "life" of our reservation between deposits, final payments, upgrading to a higher category, then getting money back when the price dropped, etc. No, we can't be simple people who just book a reservation and pay everything at once on a single credit card and never upgrade, downgrade, etc. We have to make it complicated!!!!

on Aug 9 cruise. Received total credit of $2498 for cat 2B . Port charges were credited while we were still on ship. Booked Silhouette in Alaska for next year. Celebrity charged us upgrade to have same type room. Our new cruise is $2194 EACH... SERIOUSLY ....add that to the airfare again, and transfers, and hotel for arriving the day before..... so completely disgusted in that they call compensation... Our CC company is involved now... and I have started to go directly to Celebrity... waited this long because every time I called hold times were horrible...

We just saw the credit on our American Express statement online today for the cruise fare and what appear to be port fees, and perhaps something else. I have to look at our invoice from Celebrity to identify everything. We were on the September 6th Southbound sailing. We got the $300 in airline cancellation fees refunded 6 days ago. I got a phone call a week ago from someone from Celebrity calling to tell me they had received our claims and would be processing them as quickly as possible. I actually anticipated that the cruise cost itself would not be refunded for another week or so. no FCC yet but they told me 6 to 8 weeks, and it will come in the mail to us.

Just checked AmEx and our full refund for the Sept 13 sailing has gone through! YaY! Was not looking forward to a $5,000+ Amex bill with the new plans made to recoup this vacation.

Haven't yet submitted change fees. Will do that when I get home.

BTW- anyone receive an email from Celebrity saying, "Can't wait to see you on board in 2 days!" Seriously made me want to hunt down the responsible party and ***** slap them!

Edited by VanessaM

Grr...I just checked, and my September 13th refund is coming back in little bits and pieces that don't seem to don't seem to correlate with the amounts on my final invoice I'm using for reference.:( As far as I can tell (without a second cup of coffee:o) I have about 1/5 of my total back. The air change reimbursement hasn't been posted yet either.

Today we received two credits totaling $2269 on AMEX (one was easily identifiable as the upgrade amount we'd prepaid from Classic to Premium Beverage package). They still owe us $1804, but I suspect that will hit on a VISA card since we had used two different cards over the "life" of our reservation between deposits, final payments, upgrading to a higher category, then getting money back when the price dropped, etc. No, we can't be simple people who just book a reservation and pay everything at once on a single credit card and never upgrade, downgrade, etc. We have to make it complicated!!!!

Our $1804 balance refund due after yesterday's credits of $2269 hit our VISA account today. So we are now 100% refunded for the Sept 13 sailing. To arrive at a 100% refund, it was divided into 5 different credits over two different credit cards.

Edited by BEAV

Just to be clear for those of you who say you've gotten 100% refund is that 100% of the cost of the cruise before taxes or including taxes? Is it 100% of everything that you originally paid?

In my case (Sept 13 sailing) we've been 100% refunded of cruise fare, port charges, gov't taxes and also the upgrade we prepaid from Classic to Premium Beverage package.