Bringing wine on board

moom

Also, remember that if you buy a bottle of wine anywhere on the ship and don't finish it, just give them your cabin number and they can hold the bottle for you, retrieving it wherever you are the next time you are ready to drink that wine.

OR ... feel free to take it with you where ever you are going next, including back to the cabin and then you can have some of it of course and also bring it back to the DR, or where ever you are dining the next evening.

It's more efficient if you keep the bottle yourself as you don't have to wait for the assistant waiter to run and fetch it.

We had 1 bottle per person and were charged $15 per bottle corkage when taken to the dining room. I guess if you bring your own opener and consume it in your cabin, there's no corkage fee.

Okay if you have checked luggage - otherwise, it's a problem.

Anyway, my point in posting is that you can request an opener and you can also buy one at Vines.

The alcohol table is also just beyond security when you board the ship at a port. They will return the bottles that you bring on board on the last evening. Once on Holland America I stayed over a B2B and they lost the bottle.

Relax, you're on vacation. Just enjoy the drinks aboard, and on most ships, bottles are available. Considering the corkage fee, it's a better deal aboard in some cases. But I've found it's not worth the aggravation to buy alcohol ashore, other than to bring home.

Not really. To many, it may not be worth it to obtain and bring wine on board, considering you need to buy it at embarkation port if flying in (unless risk packing in checked luggage, if you have that).

See my attached spreadsheet - there are only a couple of bottles that are likely going to be cheaper to buy on board (don't forget there is 15% service charge). To each their own, but the facts are that you can do MUCH better value-wise and improve quality for same price point if you can bring your own wine on board.

(On our last cruise, for various reasons, it just wasn't possible/convenient to obtain wine prior to sailing. I used my spreadsheet to make selections with a decent value/quality proposition so I did not grossly overpay. Still, I wish I had my own selections as Princess has dumbed down the list overall in recent years).

Princess Wine List - 2015-Fall.xls

Edited by steelers36

Not really. To many, it may not be worth it to obtain and bring wine on board, considering you need to buy it at embarkation port if flying in (unless risk packing in checked luggage, if you have that).

See my attached spreadsheet - there are only a couple of bottles that are likely going to be cheaper to buy on board (don't forget there is 15% service charge). To each their own, but the facts are that you can do MUCH better value-wise and improve quality for same price point if you can bring your own wine on board.

(On our last cruise, for various reasons, it just wasn't possible/convenient to obtain wine prior to sailing. I used my spreadsheet to make selections with a decent value/quality proposition so I did not grossly overpay. Still, I wish I had my own selections as Princess has dumbed down the list overall in recent years).

There are probably some changes coming, at least a few price increases. The current wine list almost a year and a half old. Have you checked out the wine list at SHARE? There appear to be some new wines on the list at the new restaurant.

There are probably some changes coming, at least a few price increases. The current wine list almost a year and a half old. Have you checked out the wine list at SHARE? There appear to be some new wines on the list at the new restaurant.

Our last cruise was REGAL in early November and the spreadsheet is 100% accurate in wines and prices on board. I don't disagree that Princess could make changes soon.

We didn't have SHARE at that time, so it's entirely possible they could have some different wines there. Didn't they have some different ones when the location used to be Sabatini's (some additional Italian labels)?

PS - I realize SHARE is not on Regal quite yet. Other ships came first.

Edited by steelers36

Our experience on the Royal from Port Everglades last month was this.

My husband and I each had two bottles in our carry-ons and we were prepared to pay the $15 for our "extras". After passing through security we were directed to a table (directed is a polite term, the young lady who told us shadowed us to the table. Wouldn't even let us stop at the table to complete our noro form first.)

At the table a crew member asked my husband how many bottles of wine he had, and my husband replied "two". The crew member made a mark on a sheet beside each of our names, said thank you and sent us on our way. Didn't even ask me at all, just assumed that my husband spoke for both of us.

Not sure if this is common, or if this is what you'll experience, but wanted to share ours.

My husband and I each had two bottles in our carry-ons and we were prepared to pay the $15 for our "extras". After passing through security we were directed to a table (directed is a polite term, the young lady who told us shadowed us to the table. Wouldn't even let us stop at the table to complete our noro form first.)

At the table a crew member asked my husband how many bottles of wine he had, and my husband replied "two". The crew member made a mark on a sheet beside each of our names, said thank you and sent us on our way. Didn't even ask me at all, just assumed that my husband spoke for both of us.

Not sure if this is common, or if this is what you'll experience, but wanted to share ours.

Although it does not appear to have been your intent when you boarded, why are you telling people how to scam the system? The bottom line is that at embarkation passengers are allowed to bring one bottle of wine corkage free on board per adult of drinking age and you should expect to pay a $15 corkage fee on additional bottles brought on board at embarkation. Anything else is outside what everyone agrees to do when they accept the Passage Contract. The Princess corkage fee is reasonable and we should just state the policy and tell people to expect to pay the corkage. Consider any other experience your good fortune but don't broadcast it here. I don't want Princess to tighten their wine policy even further and they do read these boards.

Although it does not appear to have been your intent when you boarded, why are you telling people how to scam the system? The bottom line is that at embarkation passengers are allowed to bring one bottle of wine corkage free on board per adult of drinking age and you should expect to pay a $15 corkage fee on additional bottles brought on board at embarkation. Anything else is outside what everyone agrees to do when they accept the Passage Contract. The Princess corkage fee is reasonable and we should just state the policy and tell people to expect to pay the corkage. Consider any other experience your good fortune but don't broadcast it here. I don't want Princess to tighten their wine policy even further and they do read these boards.

I do agree that $15 is a reasonable corkage fee charge. Sure, something less would be nice, but let's be reasonable.

I think you might have taken a leap in assuming the post was to tell people how to "scam the system". What if the person at the desk asked the wife how many she had? Would she have said none? NO, clearly not.

And there may have been no scam at all. It is very highly likely the case that most of that wine was destined for the dinner table, so they will be assessed the $15 corkage at dinner. Would the poster, AVCRUZ, please reply if they indeed paid corkage in the DR, or were all four bottles consumed in the cabin?

BTW, I will acknowledge that the person on the desk at the pier could well have been inquiring of one spouse, expecting that person to answer for both. Not only that, it may have been somewhat obvious that was the intent. But the man did answer the question. I can totally understand how they were expecting the employee to ask the other person the same question. If that was not forthcoming, do you volunteer info, or carry on?

My thinking is, it's pay me now or pay me later because they are going to collect in the DR anyway.

Edited by steelers36

Although it does not appear to have been your intent when you boarded, why are you telling people how to scam the system?.

Wow, who are you - the latest Evil Knievel? Because you just made a leap greater than his over the Grand Canyon.

As I stated in my post, I was simply sharing my experience at embarkation. I did this as another example of the inconsistencies with Princess, similar to those mentioned by other posters.

I was not telling others how to scam the system as I don't consider what happened to be "scamming". If we wanted to scam, we wouldn't also purchase the gold wine package for the dining room, or the other beverages that we purchase onboard throughout the day.

I do agree that $15 is a reasonable corkage fee charge. Would the poster, AVCRUZ, please reply if they indeed paid corkage in the DR, or were all four bottles consumed in the cabin?.

All four bottles were consumed in our stateroom/on our balcony.

We buy the gold wine package for the dining room.

All four bottles were consumed in our stateroom/on our balcony.

We buy the gold wine package for the dining room.

Gotcha ... we don't consume quite that much so 4 bottles would cover me for dinner time for the week. Or close to it, depending. ;)

You are a guy after my own heart. I keep on telling people on CC who complain about the corkage fee that when you consider the cruise company markup, you are almost always better off buying off ship and paying the corkage. You have proven it.

Your spreadsheet should be required reading for all cruisers. Thanks for all the work.

DON

You are a guy after my own heart. I keep on telling people on CC who complain about the corkage fee that when you consider the cruise company markup, you are almost always better off buying off ship and paying the corkage. You have proven it.

Your spreadsheet should be required reading for all cruisers. Thanks for all the work.

DON

Thanks for the kind words.

A better (corrected what had to be mistakes in the "specials" which are variable by removing those wines) version of it is now in its own thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2295996

Edited by steelers36

Great idea. Thanks for posting. :)

My thinking is, it's pay me now or pay me later because they are going to collect in the DR anyway.

Not if you just carry a full glass to the dining room each meal. ;)

It's sufficient for myself & the wife.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are planning on bringing one bottle each with us . I understand that there is no corkage fee for us because we're bringing 2 total. However, do we need bring the bottles with us to "register" them or can we pack them in our checked luggage?

Thank you

My husband and I are planning on bringing one bottle each with us . I understand that there is no corkage fee for us because we're bringing 2 total. However, do we need bring the bottles with us to "register" them or can we pack them in our checked luggage?

Thank you

The notes in the cruise personalizer and on your printed luggage tags instruct you to put them in your carry-on.

We had a similar experience in Fort Lauderdale, two bottles each. The guy at the alcohol table asked how many bottles and I said 'Four'. He said, 'Four!' with a smile and surprised voice - I was about to say, 'Well two and two' pointing to my wife. I only got as far as 'Well two' and he said Ok and checked us in - no fee.

• 3 weeks later...

Steeler36 - just now opened your wine price spreadsheet! wow! great job!

probably one of the best bits of info. I've seen since i've been trolling around here, prior to our cruise in April! There's a Total Wines store near our embarkation hotel in Ft. Lauderdale - guess where my first stop will be!!!:D

Wow, who are you - the latest Evil Knievel? Because you just made a leap greater than his over the Grand Canyon.

As I stated in my post, I was simply sharing my experience at embarkation. I did this as another example of the inconsistencies with Princess, similar to those mentioned by other posters.

I was not telling others how to scam the system as I don't consider what happened to be "scamming". If we wanted to scam, we wouldn't also purchase the gold wine package for the dining room, or the other beverages that we purchase onboard throughout the day.

Totally agree. Somebody needs to get a grip. The corkage fee is nothing more than a nuisance; it's not like Princess makes any real money from it. It's the hard booze at the bars where they make all their $$.

probably one of the best bits of info. I've seen since i've been trolling around here, prior to our cruise in April! There's a Total Wines store near our embarkation hotel in Ft. Lauderdale - guess where my first stop will be!!!:D

Wine price spreadsheet is great !! we usually bring on several bottles of the wines we actually like - the $15 charge is very reasonable and we are drinking what we want.

I did it for me and for you all. My pleasure to share. I put it in its own thread topic, but that must be long buried if no one posts to it.

I may not be cruising for a while - at least not until the next wine list comes out with any changes in bottles and pricing. If another vinophile would like to take and update that Excel file and re-post to pay it forward, that would be great.

Next time I cruise, I will do it all again. Or if anyone posts photos of a new wine list, I will do the work.

Total Wine in FLL, very near PE, is famous among cruisers. I got as many prices as possible from their website for my comparisons. They may not all be 100% as sometimes I had to guess at vintage, but it's all pretty close.

After passing through security we were directed to a table (directed is a polite term, the young lady who told us shadowed us to the table.

Many people have posted here that they were asked to stop at

the table, but they simply walked by to avoid paying.

Cause. Effect.

The two bottles allowed DO have to be consumed in the room or.. many carry a glass to an outside deck to enjoy. Some will take a glass into the dining room without any trouble.

We have found "Strict" carry on procedure is pretty much dependent on the port and does vary. We just assume we will have to pay corkage. If not, that's nice. But we don't fight it as it IS policy. And actually a more favorable policy than other lines.

We'll buy wine in the dining room. But we do like to bring along our "favorites" (not on the ship's wine list) to enjoy on our balcony.

We have found that, of the cruise carriers we have used, Princess has been the most considerate in allowing us to purchase a local wine in port without applying a corkage fee. Like you, we know what the rules are and adhere to them. It becomes important to us that we try a regional wine when visiting a wine producing area whether there is corkage or not. The policy and it's rationale are reasonable.