hotel in Secaucuc new jersey

Orleanscruiser

Hello everyone

I need some information regarding a hotel in meadowland (Secaucus New Jersey )

We are looking at the Candlewood suites in Secaucus N J , they have a package"Cruising with ease" ( you can leave your car at the hotel during your cruise . 2 night (Oct 25 to Oct 27 less than $300.00 tax in and parking included for the duration of the cruise , they offer a shuttle service to the train station in Secaucus)

My question is Secaucus a safe area to stay for 2 night and leave the car for the duration of the cruise 11 days ? 2- Is there a car service or taxi service available from New Jersey to go to Manhatten pier 88 on the Monday

Any other suggestion

Edited by Orleanscruiser

That sounds like a good deal. I'm not familiar with that particular hotel, but in general we do recommend Secaucus as an area to stay in for cruising from Manhattan. Not many hotels offer any kind of reasonably priced cruise package, so it's very interesting that you have found this offer at Candlewood Suites.

According to one of our regular posters Secaucus Taxi is the car service to use in this area for both local transportation and car service into NYC. Secaucus Junction train station is an excellent transportation hub with train service to NY Penn Station. Unfortunately, you will be there on a weekend, so the train option to Hoboken and PATH to World Trade Center will not be available due to the weekend work on the WTC tunnel.

If you decide to do this, could you post back with your experiences? The park/sleep options for Manhattan cruisers are very limited and this could be a great option for them. This could also work well for Cape Liberty cruisers who also want to do NYC - I've heard that the Secaucus Taxi fare from Secaucus to Cape Liberty is competitive with the Newark-Cape Liberty fare.

That sounds like a good deal. I'm not familiar with that particular hotel, but in general we do recommend Secaucus as an area to stay in for cruising from Manhattan. Not many hotels offer any kind of reasonably priced cruise package, so it's very interesting that you have found this offer at Candlewood Suites.

According to one of our regular posters Secaucus Taxi is the car service to use in this area for both local transportation and car service into NYC. Secaucus Junction train station is an excellent transportation hub with train service to NY Penn Station. Unfortunately, you will be there on a weekend, so the train option to Hoboken and PATH to World Trade Center will not be available due to the weekend work on the WTC tunnel.

If you decide to do this, could you post back with your experiences? The park/sleep options for Manhattan cruisers are very limited and this could be a great option for them. This could also work well for Cape Liberty cruisers who also want to do NYC - I've heard that the Secaucus Taxi fare from Secaucus to Cape Liberty is competitive with the Newark-Cape Liberty fare.

Actually we leaving Oct 27 on a Monday and returning Nov 7 on a Friday so the train could be an option , we have booked the hotel today , Secausus Taxi will be sending some information .

The NJ Transit trains will run to both New York Penn Station and Hoboken Station on the weekends, but there is no Sat and Sun PATH service from Hoboken to the World Trade Center for the rest of 2014. http://www.panynj.gov/path/ You can take the train to Hoboken and PATH uptown to Christopher St, 8th St, 14th St, 23rd St and 33rd St, but that is a good strategy only if your destination is the Greenwich Village area.

I just stayed for three nights in the Newport area of Jersey City at the Courtyard and really liked it. For our family it solved a lot of non-cruise logistical issues. IMO staying in Jersey City can be an excellent option for cruisers who don't have to worry about parking a car while they cruise.

Edited by 138east

I stayed in Secaucus a few years ago (per advice from Cruise Critic friends) and it really was a nice area....kind of like being in the suburbs. There were plenty of restaurants and shopping in the area. I stayed at the Sheraton, so I'm not sure about Candlewood Suites. I didn't see any "bad" areas. :)

Both Jersey City and Secaucus have nice areas as well as some not so nice areas. Secaucus has more of a suburban feel and can work well if you have a car that also needs accommodations. The hotel area in the Newport Section of Jersey City offers a newer upscale urban feel and is located right by the Hudson River with waterfront walkways and views of downtown Manhattan. This can work well for for folks without a car who want quick access to midtown and downtown Manhattan for sightseeing but don't want to pay Manhattan hotel prices. Hotel parking was about the same as the port.

Both Jersey City and Secaucus have nice areas as well as some not so nice areas. Secaucus has more of a suburban feel and can work well if you have a car that also needs accommodations. The hotel area in the Newport Section of Jersey City offers a newer upscale urban feel and is located right by the Hudson River with waterfront walkways and views of downtown Manhattan. This can work well for for folks without a car who want quick access to midtown and downtown Manhattan for sightseeing but don't want to pay Manhattan hotel prices. Hotel parking was about the same as the port.

Carol....I have followed your posts for sometime and thank you for all the great advice you have given fellow cruisers. Now it's my turn to ask questions.

We are on Quantum for the Nov 23 cruise and will be coming in a couple of days pre-cruise so we can visit NYC. You mention the Newport Section of Jersey City. Can you recommend a hotel in that area that would be close to public transport for NYC access? What would you suggest for transportation from the airport to this area and conversely back to the cruise port.

We appreciate any suggestions to make the most of our time visiting the major site of NYC. Thanks.....:)

Marriott Courtyard Jersey City

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2100825

The Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City is right next door to the PATH Station. It could not be closer. The main problem is that there is currently no Sat and Sun PATH train service to the World Trade Center, so you should make any sightseeing plans for downtown Manhattan for Friday. This did not affect us because all our plans for our group of five including an infant involved driving and paying to park in Manhattan. The hotel is currently showing at about $227 tax included for Nov. 20-23.

You would pay about $50-60 for a cab from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to Cape Liberty. If you can roll you luggage two blocks, the light rail to Bayonne and cab to the port would be $15-20 total. If cutting your costs on that end is of interest, that is a decision you don't really have to make until you arrive and see what is involved in walking to the light rail from the hotel.

I thought the hotel would be great for folks who wanted to find a balance between paying NYC hotel prices and limo costs precruise versus the cheaper but definitely less convenient hotels at Newark Airport.

I met some folks from Michigan in the hotel who were "doing" New York. Basically they had done downtown on Friday. On Sat they went to midtown during the day, back to the hotel for a rest, and then back to the theater in the evening.

Another less expensive option that would work for you is the Newark Penn Station Hilton which is showing an advance purchase rate of about $185 tax included for your dates. This hotel has an airport shuttle and is across the street from Newark Penn Station and is connected by a skywalk.

Two other options in Jersey City that are less expensive than the Courtyard for your dates are the Doubletree and Candlewood Suites. It's a several block walk to PATH with Doubletree being closer than Candlewood Suites to the Newport/Pavonia station. I'm seeing these rates on aa.com.

Marriott Courtyard Jersey City

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2100825

The Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City is right next door to the PATH Station. It could not be closer. The main problem is that there is currently no Sat and Sun PATH train service to the World Trade Center, so you should make any sightseeing plans for downtown Manhattan for Friday. This did not affect us because all our plans for our group of five including an infant involved driving and paying to park in Manhattan. The hotel is currently showing at about $227 tax included for Nov. 20-23.

You would pay about $50-60 for a cab from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to Cape Liberty. If you can roll you luggage two blocks, the light rail to Bayonne and cab to the port would be $15-20 total. If cutting your costs on that end is of interest, that is a decision you don't really have to make until you arrive and see what is involved in walking to the light rail from the hotel.

I thought the hotel would be great for folks who wanted to find a balance between paying NYC hotel prices and limo costs precruise versus the cheaper but definitely less convenient hotels at Newark Airport.

I met some folks from Michigan in the hotel who were "doing" New York. Basically they had done downtown on Friday. On Sat they went to midtown during the day, back to the hotel for a rest, and then back to the theater in the evening.

Another less expensive option that would work for you is the Newark Penn Station Hilton which is showing an advance purchase rate of about $185 tax included for your dates. This hotel has an airport shuttle and is across the street from Newark Penn Station and is connected by a skywalk.

Two other options in Jersey City that are less expensive than the Courtyard for your dates are the Doubletree and Candlewood Suites. It's a several block walk to PATH with Doubletree being closer than Candlewood Suites to the Newport/Pavonia station. I'm seeing these rates on aa.com.

Thanks for all the info. :)

Ok so now I am 2nd guessing myself!!

We are currently booked in to the Holiday Inn Secaucus Meadowlands for 2 nts post cruise. I chose an IHG property as we are using Priority club points.I figured its close to shopping and the port Authority bus into NYC, however some of the recent reviews on Trip advisor are not so good so now I am looking at the Candlewood suites Jersey City.

I have enough points for one night and the 2nd night will cost $179 plus tax.I must say the waterfront area of Jersey City does look appealing.

My question is, it looks like we can get from Cape Liberty cruise port using the light rail from Bayonne 34th street to Harborside which looks to a very short walk to the Candlewood suites. Is that doable with luggage?

It will be weekdays when we stay in November so the PATH to the WTC will be running, plus we can shop at the Newport Mall so do you think we would be better to go for the Candlewood Jersey City over the Holiday Inn in Secaucus?

Also we need to be at Newark airport Wednesday evening the rates with Carmel limo are $43 from either hotel.

Which do you think would be the better option? We plan to spend a day and a half in New York and another day shopping. :confused:

Ok so now I am 2nd guessing myself!!

We are currently booked in to the Holiday Inn Secaucus Meadowlands for 2 nts post cruise. I chose an IHG property as we are using Priority club points.I figured its close to shopping and the port Authority bus into NYC, however some of the recent reviews on Trip advisor are not so good so now I am looking at the Candlewood suites Jersey City.

I have enough points for one night and the 2nd night will cost $179 plus tax.I must say the waterfront area of Jersey City does look appealing.

My question is, it looks like we can get from Cape Liberty cruise port using the light rail from Bayonne 34th street to Harborside which looks to a very short walk to the Candlewood suites. Is that doable with luggage?

It will be weekdays when we stay in November so the PATH to the WTC will be running, plus we can shop at the Newport Mall so do you think we would be better to go for the Candlewood Jersey City over the Holiday Inn in Secaucus?

Also we need to be at Newark airport Wednesday evening the rates with Carmel limo are $43 from either hotel.

Which do you think would be the better option? We plan to spend a day and a half in New York and another day shopping. :confused:

For our family weekend in Jersey City I originally had eight of us us booked into three rooms at Candlewood Suites, but changed to the Courtyard when we became five people because we could get one room for 4 adults with two queen beds and a sofabed to accommodate our two adult children of different sexes and an infant.

I think you would be very happy in Jersey City if you don't mind walking a few blocks to PATH. I think it would be very easy to go from 34th St in Bayonne to the Harborside light rail stop, which was very close to Candlewood Suites. I rode this section of the light rail in Sep and I could easily see the Candlewood from the light rail station. You would save a car service fee from Bayonne to Secaucus. You will also save yourselves a bunch of travel time, particularly to downtown Manhattan. The Newport Mall is very nice and I think it has only a 3.5% sales tax on non clothing items! which are tax free. You won't get that in NYC. The mall is open late, so you can have dinner and go shopping at night and save your daylight hours for more sightseeing.

The Newport Mall is very nice and I think it has only a 3.5% sales tax on non clothing items!

Correct Newport Centre is a part of an Urban Enterprise Zone no tax on clothing and 3.75% on all other goods and services. Newport Mall Food Court is on the top most level also located there is an AMC Multiplex if that is you thing.

Edited by Brighton Line

I am looking at the Candlewood suites Jersey City.

Yes indeed. As Carol (138east) says, the Harborside light rail stop is very, very close to the Candlewood Suites--just a two- or three-minutes' walk.

The first minute of this video shows the hotel, as seen from the Harborside station platform:

You will have to get a taxi from the cruise terminal itself to the Bayonne 34th St station, as there is no pedestrian access to/from the terminal area.

Personally, I would choose the Candlewood (or any of the other Jersey City hotels near the Hudson River waterfront, such as the Westin, Doubletree, Hyatt Regency, or Courtyard). On a weekday, this will give you quick & easy access to Manhattan, and you are just a few minutes from the Newport Mall.

Thank you so much Carol, your advice is much appreciated. I'm guessing its a safe area to walk in at night?

I felt comfortable there at night. It's still an urban area, so you should take normal precautions, but it seemed to me that there were a lot of people out and about. My husband and I lived in the area between Exchange Place and Grove St many many years ago before all the redevelopment. We never had any issues with personal safety - just car vandalism - and the whole area now feels much better than it did years ago.

Thanks for the video Post Captain. It really shows how close the hotel is to the station, we would easily be able to roll our luggage from there! I think staying at the Candlewood suites will suit our needs just fine although I had better request a room away from the train tracks!!:)

Thanks for the video Post Captain. It really shows how close the hotel is to the station, we would easily be able to roll our luggage from there! I think staying at the Candlewood suites will suit our needs just fine although I had better request a room away from the train tracks!!:)

You're welcome!

Yes, if the Harborside light rail stop was any closer to the hotel, it would be right outside the front door. In Jersey City, all the stops are pretty close together; you can also walk between the Candlewood Suites and the next stop (going toward Hoboken), Harsimus Cove.

The light rail trains are electric and fairly quiet--they're basically glorified modern trollies. The drivers do blow their horns sometimes, and you'll sometimes hear a clanging bell. In many places, the tracks run alongside--or actually on--roads, and the trains stop for red lights just as automobiles (usually:D) do.

Carol mentioned the "redevelopment." In fact, virtually the entire waterfront area of Jersey has been extensively redeveloped over the past 15 years or so. What was once a somewhat decrepit area with derelict piers, rail yards, and abandoned factories and warehouses now consists mainly of modern office buildings, upscale condos and townhouses, restaurants, stores, and marinas.

The promenade along the waterfront--the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway--is one of my favorite places to take long walks; the views of the harbor, the Hudson River, and the Manhattan skyline are stunning.

Since the path is closed on weekends (for now) we've booked a hotel in Manhattan for a similar rate to the Jersey City Harbor hotels. I was pleasantly surprised to see a great rate for the Hampton Inn Times Square North.....including breakfast. We'll take the Newark Airport Bus to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and a cab to the hotel before we pick up a rental car and drive to visit family in Cooperstown. Thanks, again, for all your help. :)

• 1 month later...

Good evening 138east

Just came back from our cruise on the gem (Oct 27 to Nov 7)

We arrived at Candlewood suite (279 Secaucus road ) Saturday night the building is fairly new and well kept . On Monday morning we called Secaucus taxi to arrange for a taxi to go to Port Imperial. The driver arrived at 9:30 am as agreed 10 minutes drive to Port Imperial. Purchased return ticket for the ferry, waited 5 minutes and we crossed the Hudson in less than 5 minutes.

We went to 39th St and Lincoln tunnel. It's a 5 minutes walk to the ship. The weather was great so we walked to the ship. We arrived around 10:15 am.

Here's a breakdown of the cost to park the car at the Hotel during our cruise

Hotel for 1 night = $155.00 tax in

parking for 2 weeks (October 27 to Nov 7 ) = $0.00

Taxi from 279 Secaucus rd to port imperial = $30.00

cost of ferry 2 persons @ $9.00 = $18.00

return from cruise Nov 7

Cost of ferry 2 persons @ $9.00 ea - $18.00

taxi service from port Imperial to hotel =$25.00

total = $246.00

Now lets compare with leaving the car at the pier 88

1 night at Hotel (assuming you stay one night before cruise) =155.00

toll road for tunnel =$13.00

parking for 11 days (flat fee ) =$400.00

total $568.00

there is a difference of 322.00

That's a saving of $322.00

here's the website for Candlewood suites

https://www.ihg.com/candlewood/hotels/us/en/secaucus/nycnj/hoteldetail?qRef=sr&qDest=Jersey+City%2C+NJ%2C+United+States&qRpn=1&qChld=0&qSrt=sDD&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qGRM=0&qLng=-74.0781&qRdU=1&qRms=1&srb_u=1&qAdlt=2&qPSt=0&qRtP=6CBARC&qCiMy=102014&qCoD=10&qLat=40.7281&qCiD=09&qCoMy=102014&qRRSrt=rt&qRad=30&qRpp=10&qBrs=ic.cp.in.vn.hi.ex.rs.cv.sb.cw.ul.6c&qWch=0

click on hotel package

CRUISING WITH EASE

CRUISING WITH EASE PACKAGE INCLUDES FREE PARKING FOR 1 VEHICLE FOR UP TO 10 NIGHTS BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR STAY.

The ship was a sellout 2400 passenger I noticed the parking at the pier was half full when we came back from the cruise.

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Thanks for reporting back. It looks like we can add this hotel to the possible choices for cruisers who want to stay overnight prior to their cruise.

Can you recommend any restaurants near the hotel?

the hotel is located in a industrial area near I95 could not hear any noise from industrial park or interstate

there are several restaurant on Tonelle rd and Jf Kennedy less than 5 minutes away

Edited by Orleanscruiser

Thanks for reporting back. It looks like we can add this hotel to the possible choices for cruisers who want to stay overnight prior to their cruise.

Can you recommend any restaurants near the hotel?

La Fusta

1110 Tonnelle Ave

North Bergen, NJ 07047

United States

Open 12:00 pm – 12:00 am

Argentinean steakhouse specializing in pasta dishes & charcoal-grilled meats.