In your opinion which cruise line/ship has the best pizza?

Snorkel Dawg

I have cruised Carnival, Norwegian Royal Caribbean and Holland American and of them Carnivals is the best though I liked the old Carnival pizza they had a few years ago more than today's pizza.

However, in a few days I am boarding MSC Divina and I have heard that they have the best pizza. I will find out and let you know. Look at the photo of their pizza oven.

pizza-service-detail_12200_704_580_Images.jpg.25bb76a59b102cfe6d1e16b66877ccbc.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best pizza we ever had was on the Fairwind Sitmar cruise line they had a pizzeria that opened at night they made pizzas on request in wood fired ovens! This was back in 1974. Best now is Princess at the. Outdoor grill, the room service pizza which they charge $3 for is just ok

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival!!

The 24 hour pizza at the pirate pizza on the Carnival Breeze, was nicer than the pizza we had in a Restaurant in Venice!!

The food in Venice is super expensive and for the most part bad. And they don't care, they do so much business, if you don't like it to bad the food at some of the hotels is better but super expensive for what you get. We were super disappointed with the resturants in town Olive Garden is 3 times better! And 1/3 the price!

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently on RCI Empress of the Seas. No separate pizzeria, pizza only available, sliced, on steam tables at lunch and snack time. Cheese or pepperoni only. It is terrible...supermarket frozen would be better. [emoji40]

Just back (yesterday) from the Regal Princess...which again reinforced our long standing opinion (based on over a thousand days of cruising on 14 lines) that Princess Pizza is the best. And they have taken it to a new level with their newer ships where they have a cafe called Alfredo's (no additional cost) which has several gourmet individual pizzas on their menu. This is totally separate from the regular Princess Pizza...which continues to be the best at sea.

Hank

I like the pizza on Carnival but I don't have anything to compare it to. I prefer a thicker crust. I have seen people eat NY style pizza who claim they like thin crust but then fold the pizza before they eat it. Isn't that like having a thicker crust pizza?

Noooooo. You fold it to keep the delicious ooey, goooey, cheese and sauce from dripping all over.:)

• 6 months later...
I've have had pizza on the brain lately & was thinking what others opinions might be? So far in my crusing experience I would have give the nod for best pizza on a cruise ship to the incredible thin crust Pizza aboard the Ruby Princess. Hoping we will find that same quailty of pizza onboard other cruise lines and ships on future sailings...

Even Dawgs love pizza! ;)

I agree! The Ruby Princess has some fantastic pizza! In fact it was some of the best pizza I've had. We would have a large cheese pizza with basil delivered to our room almost daily for lunch. It was great sitting out on our balcony & enjoying it!! That was 17months ago & I still miss it! (Including Curtis Stones mac & cheese. Found the recipe online & it's a household favorite!) lol Can't wait to sail on her again next year!;) :D

• 1 month later...

The pizza in Alfredo's on Princess ships is really good. I've cruised Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America. Alfredo's has been my favorite. And, on the Regal they have other dishes as well. The veal ravioli is amazing, especially paired with a nice glass of wine.

The food in Venice is super expensive and for the most part bad. And they don't care, they do so much business, if you don't like it to bad the food at some of the hotels is better but super expensive for what you get. We were super disappointed with the resturants in town Olive Garden is 3 times better! And 1/3 the price!

While Venice is not known for its Pizza I wouldn't say it was a bad place for food. You probably didn't find the best kept secret restaurants where the locals eat. If you eat in the smaller places that are not near the tourist spots there are streets and streets of delicious local cusine including fresh fish and cheese/meats from the region at a better price. Real italian food is different from what many Americans (and other westerners) think it should be and while its fine to have different tastes I think saying Olive garden (tastes like microwaved ready meals) is nowhere near real italian food freshly cooked.

Of the lines I have tried so far Carnival is the best but I have heard Princess' is a good offering too. We adored food on X but they had the worst pizza by far.

Have to agree with Velvetwater's post. It is possible to get pretty decent food in Venice, at a reasonable price, but you have to get away from the St Marks Square, Rialto areas and find some of the restaurants frequented by locals. In most cases it does not mean walking a long distance, but rather knowing where to go. If you are staying in Venice, try befriending some of the staff at your hotel and ask them for restaurant advice. Otherwise, one can do some online research. We find it interesting that one of our favorite restaurant areas in Venice is actually only about a 5 min walk from the Piazale Roma....but just not in the direction taken by most visitors.

Hank

One would think MSC and Costa would or should have among the best but I hven't sailed on either.

As for Princess, perhaps in the past. Sailed on the Island P in 2012 and it was superb. My wife and I got talking to the pizza maker who was an older Italian man, a pizza maker by trade and training who was personally recruited by the hotel manager (IIRC both from the port city of Bari). He really took pride in his craft.

Fast forward to 2016. Sailed on the Star P and looked forward to pizza. It was merely o.k. Not as much finesse, actually not by a far stretch, as good as the pizza on the Island P 4 year earlier. The pizza makers were Filipino and just weren't trained enough or well. We ate pizza at least 2x daily on the Island P. Just had it once on the Star P and never again.

Best pizza by far is at Alfredo's Pizzeria in the atrium in about 5 of Princess ships. This is pizza made to order which is why it is so good. Every ship except the Pacific Princess has the Prego Pizzeria in the Lido deck. It is very good, just not as good as Alfredo's because it is already made, sitting on the warmer like the other cruiselines. Also, Princess modified their lido deck pizzerias 5 years ago where, to me, it was not as good as before, but still better than the other lines though very close to the quality of Carnival which has a thicker crust which I would put in 2nd place. Now, Costa may have a more authentic pizza, but you have to pay for it. Yes, you have to pay for pizza on this Italian cruiseline. Oceania probably has the best food on the high seas with the exception of their pizza as the pizza oven in that ship is the same oven they install for Renaissance Cruise Line when the ship was built back in 2001 - this may imply that the pizza on the Pacific Princess may be of similiar quality. Worst pizza is RCCL, equivalent to lousy frozen pizza, but I haven't sailed with them for over 6 years so they could improve in the intervening years.