Onboard Entertainment?

markannab

Hi everyone

I wonder if you could help me out. My wife and I are about to take on the role of being guest speakers - 50's rock 'n' roll dance teaching - onboard a number of cruise lines via an agent. (The agent manages a number of cruise lines and we pick which individual cruises we'd like to be guest speakers on.

We are familiar with age groups on R.C. and P&O and that such classes work well in view of the age groups present. But we have never been on a Princess cruise. We have been told the age group tends to be older. Of course, I know the average age varies depending on the cruise length, etc. But I wonder, in your opinion, if we would find two things on board:

1. A good number of cruisers who would jump at the chance to participate in, specifically, rock 'n' roll dance classes; and

2. One or more multi-piece bands who play, among other things, some 50's rock 'n' roll.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.

I don't know how many people would want to participate in the dance classes. However, many of the Princess cruisers are of the age who grew up with 50s rock and roll, so you're teaching the right kind of music.

The Princess bands are very versatile. They are certainly capable of playing 50s rock and roll, as well as many other kinds of music.

I have seen a lot of participants on dancing lesson and dance events at the Piazza when there is a band. On some ships with Explorer Lounge like we had recently on the CB, there are always themed dance nights with a band, including 60s, 70s & 80s music and always well attended.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would say yes to 1 and no to 2.

I have worked as an independent (no agent) guest enrichment lecturer with Princess for nine years. In fact, I will be on the Pacific from mid December to mid January.

Email me: patmccormack at infoenterprises dot com.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Our members would love to have you on Princess ships. I have not seen a 50ies Rock & Roll dance class being offered & this would be a great addition to their schedule.

Please post back your schedule for all of us to see, hopefully on Princess.

Tom😁

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago when P&O Aust had lecturers, a couple from the Gold Coast taught rock 'n roll. I am pretty sure they had to have their own pre-recorded music and you might find you will need to also. I am doubtful that the cruise line will schedule its musicians to play for your lessons. I think you will have to be self-sufficient. I remember that the Gold Coast couple (well, the female half anyway) had great rock 'n roll costumes. I know that they were telling us about their excess luggage charges on the airline.

Thanks for your reply. Something I didn't mention at the start of this thread is that we already do rock 'n' roll classes with P&O. Initially, it was purely for fun with no financial benefits. But the cruise director was was so impressed with the feedback that they asked us to join their guest speaker program and receive free cruises. We've now done that and are awaiting for the 2018 cruise listing.

You are right: We supply our own MP3 player. We arrived with wireless equipment but they wanted us to use theirs. My mention of bands isn't because I want them to play for our lessons. I want to know if suitable music is being played onboard at other times – both for our own fun and for class participants to try out a few moves if they wish.

While we tone down how much we dress up for the classes, we do take typical rock 'n' roll-style clothes for the evenings when we are dancing ourselves. It's easy for the man: One pair of shoes, one pair of pants, and two or three shirts. My wife takes along four or five circle dresses, a couple of multi-layered petticoats, etc. But her entire wardrobe of clothes - for dance and the rest of the cruise - fits in one larger suitcase.