Flying to FLL, car rental, sail out of POM

eiloo

I'm considering flying into FLL instead of MIA for my cruise in early July due to costs. There are four of us.

We will fly in the night before and I was considering renting a car at FLL and then return to the location in Miami closest to the port and take their shuttle to POM.

As I'm trying to think this through, I'm finding that it may not be a great idea since renting a one way car from FLL to Miami would run me close to $180.

Are there companies that do not have a drop fee? I'm not particular to a specific car rental agency. I was hoping this would be sub $80 after taxes and fees.

If you are just looking for transportation, most of the local hotels have a shuttle to their property from FLL and the next day the easiest and likely most cost effective method to get to the POM IMO would be with Uber. And for your return from the POM to FLL, if that is where your return flight would be, you can reserve Uber in advance for a pick up at POM to FLL.

Thanks.

I forgot to mention I do have a 5 year old that still needs a car seat. I'm not sure an Uber would want to take us considering that. Do you happen to know how much an Uber vs a shuttle will cost?

When we stayed in Miami last year, the shuttle had no problems taking my then 4 and 6 year olds without car seats. Trying to slim down on the luggage carrying if you know what I mean.

We used Jiffy Jeff and he was $15/person for POM to FLL airport. You would need to check his website for which hotels he will pick up from in Fort Lauderdale. We had a ride to the ship with family but not a return so we only used him one direction but he does both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks.

I forgot to mention I do have a 5 year old that still needs a car seat. I'm not sure an Uber would want to take us considering that. Do you happen to know how much an Uber vs a shuttle will cost?

When we stayed in Miami last year, the shuttle had no problems taking my then 4 and 6 year olds without car seats. Trying to slim down on the luggage carrying if you know what I mean.

Try this link:

https://www.uber.com/fare-estimate/

You can also contact them or check their website regarding the car seat.

https://www.uber.com

Are there companies that do not have a drop fee? I'm not particular to a specific car rental agency. I was hoping this would be sub $80 after taxes and fees.

Budget is my company of choice. Often has no drop fees within Florida.

A Ford Edge for mid-July, one day rental with dropoff in Miami after pickup at FLL comes in at $63.00. Less if you pay ahead. Car seat may be additional.

Why not stay in the FLL area and then use a shared shuttle service - SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport, etc. - for about $15 per person to get to POM the next morning? http://www.sunny.org has lot of FLL area hotel info.

UberXL will be a squeeze for your group plus bags, but could work if you bring your own car seat - the airline will check it for free if you choose not to use the car seat on the flight. Mini-van taxi will be about the same fare from FLL to Miami/POM ($70) as UberXL

You might consider staying at Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale using http://www.valuetrips.com for some great rates.

Hyatt Place offers a shuttle from FLL to their hotel ($2.00 per room fee) great location right next to the Harbor shopping area...restaurants and Publix market. The hotel offers a comp breakfast buffet.

Then from hotel to POM try using http://www.southfloridashuttles.com We used them when we needed a carseat provided. Would highly recommend this company as it worked great for us..book them as a round trip to get back to FLL for your return flight.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

We are doing this next month. I have done tests on uber and have not had an option to book with car seat at any time. We booked a car with Thrifty for $40 tax included and did not have to pay upfront. We will drop off at the Miami Cruise location and they do have a shuttle that runs to POM. I also bought a folding luggage cart from Walmart for the car seat. Can you 5 year old use a travel booster for the trip? It would really lighten the load!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums