Formal Night Question

payitforward

Did you see that my post was answering why I didn't have my kids in a tux on Carnival and was choosing Princess for that photo op? I certainly care what my kids opinion of me is - afterall, I am a huge basis of their moral and social compass. I am teaching my kids the same way I was taught - you dress for the occasion. And a tux does not fit the realities of elegant evening on Carnival.

I agree that you dress for the occasion but that doesn't preclude dressing up more especially if it's allowed. For what it's worth there was a family of 4 on Glory, husband and young son were in tuxes, mom and young daughter in formal dresses. They didn't look out of place at all.

We are "old school", so we always dress up up up on formal nights. My husband takes his tux and white dinner jacket and I have a different long dress for each night. We see all levels of dress up and dress down, but we love to dress up whether others do or not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

We enjoy it when folks do that although we don't typically stopping ourselves at sport coat/no tie. But there's one outfit that tops everything. Full military dress uniform. Magnificent.

We enjoy it when folks do that although we don't typically stopping ourselves at sport coat/no tie. But there's one outfit that tops everything. Full military dress uniform. Magnificent.
Yes, that is spectacular. My husband was an Army officer (Vietnam era) and is still a dashing image (for a 75 year old man).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

They are both above the knee.

I thought a proper kilt was to hit at the knee (would likely expose the knee when sitting, but not standing. I love the way my husband looks in a kilt, but all he has are great kilts from the Renaissance Faire (9 yards of fabric, not sewn). It's not worth the hassle to pack and spend the time pleating for one night.

Someone mentioned Princess being more formal. I did not find that to be the case at all. I wore a black dress for one formal night there and then a black pantsuit the next.

It depends on how I feel as to what I wear but I overdress in real life every day. :-)

I bring lots of bling - being it in my shoes, jewelry, or scarfs but it can give added sparkle to a plain black dress or pant suit.

Have fun!

Our Princess cruise was not any more formal than our Carnival cruise (or any other cruise). When I researched that trip there was as much if not more formal debate on those boards than here for pax wanting to dress down.