Skywalk in Geiranger

Hi,

Has anyone visited the Skywalk in Geiranger? Is it near the Fjord Center? What is the best way to get there?

Any info and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The skywalk is up the mountain side so you will need to take a tour of some form to reach it. Mostly there are bus tours but you can do it

OYO using small 2 person electric vehicles. Look for the Twizzy tour.

Please note that the road leading to the Skywalk is seasonal and opens between May 15-June 1st each year (after the snow is cleared and there is a big avalanche). If you travel early in the season, you may not be able to a access the skywalk. The tours will take you to various other pretty spots in Geiranger instead. Please note that since the skywalk is so high up, on cloudy days you might not be able to see much.

Thank you all for your replies . We have somewhat limited time in Geiranger (docking with Norwegian Jude 11am-5pm), so we are trying to decide the best and most optimal way to use our time there; the cruise unfortunately does not offer any excursions to the Skywalk, and we are a bit nervous to book an excursions with a third party - we want to make sure we get back to our ship before it sails. Have any of you had an experience with a tour companiey? Do you know of any that are reliable? In general, in your opinion, which spots in Geiranger are the most interesting and memorable to visit?

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas, they are very helpful.

Thank you all for your replies . We have somewhat limited time in Geiranger (docking with Norwegian Jude 11am-5pm), so we are trying to decide the best and most optimal way to use our time there; the cruise unfortunately does not offer any excursions to the Skywalk, and we are a bit nervous to book an excursions with a third party - we want to make sure we get back to our ship before it sails. Have any of you had an experience with a tour companiey? Do you know of any that are reliable? In general, in your opinion, which spots in Geiranger are the most interesting and memorable to visit?

I have not been as yet, we dock on June 27, also for 6 hrs. Basically there are 3 view sites that most tours offer in a 3 to 3 1/2 hr window. Two on one side of the fjord with the Dalsnibba skywalk being the more distant and then the Eagles bend on the other side. Everyone offers this in that time frame so I don’t think you need worry about return to the ship on time. Even the little Twizzy cars do all three in 3 hours. The biggest question is the weather and whether you will be able to see anything if the clouds roll in. I would be surprised if Norwegian did not offer this tour in some fashion. There are also shorter versions which hit only two of the three.

We visited the Norway Fjords last May on the Jade.

Although we were scheduled to arrive at 10.30am, our first stop that day at Hellesylt was cancelled. This was because the mountain roads were still blocked with snow, and the stop at Hellesylt was to offload passengers taking a cross country excursion to meet the ship in Gerainger. So we had a longer day in Gerainger, and sadly didn't get the daytime sail down the fjord I was hoping for. ( had to get up early to watch the scenery before we docked )

We didn't take any excursions, just walked up the waterfall stairway in town and enjoyed the views from there. One group were booked on a tour up the mountain. Because the roads were still blocked, they were taken to a picturesque mountain lake instead, and came back with amazing pictures of the gigantic snowdrifts at the sides of the roads.

Any reputable tour company guarantees (more of less) that they will get you back to the ship on time. Their reputation is at risk and most cruisers and tourists that do use them find out about them through Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor and other venues. The tourist will report back at the sites with any negative reviews and it will harm the tour company tremendously.

Does this mean there is no gamble at all? No. But as stated above they will do all they can to get you back with time to spare, sometimes they may need to skip one item on the agenda - they will work to get you optimum time in their port = possibility of a glowing review. Just make sure you are near the port about a half hour before all aboard (one hour if you're really nervous about it).

Any reputable tour company guarantees (more of less) that they will get you back to the ship on time. Their reputation is at risk and most cruisers and tourists that do use them find out about them through Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor and other venues. The tourist will report back at the sites with any negative reviews and it will harm the tour company tremendously.

Does this mean there is no gamble at all? No. But as stated above they will do all they can to get you back with time to spare, sometimes they may need to skip one item on the agenda - they will work to get you optimum time in their port = possibility of a glowing review. Just make sure you are near the port about a half hour before all aboard (one hour if you're really nervous about it).

Thank you. Have you had any experience with an independent tour company? If you have would you recommend one. Thank you.

We're using this tour in June https://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-tour-to-mt-dalsnibba . We're also on the Jade in Gerainger 11am - 5pm. Our tour leaves at 12:00 (meeting time 11:50), other days may be different. We are not the only ship in port, so I don't know if we'll use the SeaWalk or tender, just something else to bear in mind if you book a tour.

I'll be in Geiranger in June on the Sapphire Princess. I plan to take one of the bus tours on the city site. I'd also like to see the fjord center, but I can't do the uphill walk. Is it possible to get a taxi from the pier to the center?

Thank you. Have you had any experience with an independent tour company? If you have would you recommend one. Thank you.

Andy, no experience as yet, however, we are booked with

https://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-turer-i-geiranger-2

for: Panorama Exclusive Bus through them when we dock in Geiranger in June. I have no doubt we will be back to the ship in enough time to tour the town itself before needing to get on board.

Just know that as these tours are very popular they do fill quickly.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We are in Geiranger on 1st August (Norwegian Jade 8am to 2:30pm). I am looking at booking a bus tour. Some of them are sold out. Any advice would be much appreciated. Please can you advise which would be the better option:

https://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-turer-i-geiranger-2

MOUNTAIN HIGHLIGHT DALSNIBBA/SKYWALK BUS - 2 hrs 15 mins, 2 photo stops included (395NOK) - 9AM - Geiranger – Flydalsjuvet (15 mins) – driving past Knuten, evidence of early road building skills – driving past lake Djupvatnet – Dalsnibba/Skywalk (15 mins) – Geiranger

PANORAMA BUS GEIRANGER - 1,5 hrs, 2 photo stops included - Geiranger – Flydalsjuvet (10 mins) – Eagle Bend (10 mins) – Geiranger 250NOK

https://www.fjordnorway.com/geiranger/things-to-do/panorama-bus-geiranger-p1833703

Panoramic Bus

You will discover the Panoramic Highlights of the Geiranger Fjord on a bus trip to Flydalsjuvet and Ørnesvingen, the most famous viewing points. You have a 10min break on each stop to enjoy the scenery and take pictures.

Duration: 1,5h

Price: 220nok adults/50nok children

Scenic Bus Tour to Mount Dalsnibba

Join us on our bus trip to Dalsnibba, a 1500m Mountain with a spectacular view over the Geiranger Fjord. Driving up the beautiful and winding road you will discover the unspoiled backcountry and be part of one of the most beautiful and exciting bus tours in Norway. The tour includes an extra stop at the famous Flydalsjuvet viewing point. Departure: Daily from 7 May two Sept. 11 for updateinformation and booking see www.geirangerfjord.no

Duration: 2h 15Min

Price: 320nok adult / 200nok children

I skipped ahead so I may have missed posts that say what I'm about to say! For that I apologize.

Both times we've been in Geiranger was with Oceania. The first visit was in 2010 when we booked a local boat trip up the fjord with a local company. You can do this online. We were going to cancel because we'd seen the fjord coming in that morning, but our friends who hadn't booked yet convinced us to stick with them and I'm glad we did. It's a very different view from a small boat as compared to even a small ship like INSIGNIA (684 passengers). I'm recollecting that the boat trip was about 2 hours but it might have been less. Unfortunately I lost my entire file concerning this cruise so I'm going by memory.

We were there again, also on Oceania, in July 2016 and this time did a ship's tour by bus up to Mt. Dalsnibba. This was a lovely trip. We don't usually do ship's tours but we aren't averse to them either. The OP couldn't get to the Skywalk this way but it's a lovely way to spend the time. I got some spectacular photos both up top and on the way back down.

Both times we had time to investigate shops in Geiranger. There isn't much there!

Mura