Restaurants close to Cruise terminal in New York there in April

Rome2016

if you would like to stay near the ship: like someone before me said 9th Avenue between 49-54! fun stuff. empanada mama, blue ribbon chicken, a ton of low key, fun independently owned food spots and some chains in case you need comfort in name recognition. then splurge on the rainbow room (bar 65) for drinks.

Little Italy ain't what it used to be and Chinatown will be overwhelming unless given a set recommendation IMHO. Stay off the dirty water dogs -- if you're going for street food "food trucks" are a better choice (required to have running water). You'll find them on 46th, 49th, 50th and 51st off 6th or depending on when you visit there may be a group of them by times square (broadwaybites or google urbanspace for other options). Try the happy hour at Ruth Chris' steakhouse -- great deal.

No one is looking down their nose at anything. Your response is unnecessarily hostile. My recommendations offer another option for the op. I think it’s places where w friend living in ny would recommend. That’s how many of us prefer to travel

You pay for that view which means you overpay for the food. Take a ride on the Staten Island ferry. Same iconic view and Very New York

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FWIW, the OP used the word "authentic" and not "iconic". Perhaps the OP can clarify, but I tend to think of "authentic" as a place where locals go.

Yes, locals do go to Per Se, Daniel, etc. but those locals tend to do so rarely and for very special occasions or they are very, very wealthy.

Reasonably priced and quite good? Try Becco on West 46th (Lidia Bastianich).

And, though touristy, plenty of local families eat at Carmine's on West 44th.

Like Peruvian? Pio Pio on 10th Avenue

Though further away, one of my favorites is the original Socarrat paella restaurants (in the Chelsea)

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Dirty water hot dog carts are "authentic" as well. :p

When YOU go to a new city, do you search for what is average there, or, for what is "the best" there?

Actually, for one day in NYC, strolling through Central Park and having hot dogs from a cart isn't a bad idea.

It would provide both an authentic AND an iconic experience.

Hi all,

My first time on this Board-I live in Midtown, and there are some places that are my faves. On 51st St. between 8th and 9th is Vice Versa; superb high quality Italian, vibrant New York atmosphere and diverse crowd;book on or after 7:30 to avoid the pre-theater rush. On 44th St., also between 8th and 9th, is “etc. etc.”, a bit more casual but fine food and service, relaxed atmosphere. On 43rd St. also between 8th and 9th is Hakassan. You must book, very high end Cantonese(they have places in Doha, Abhu Dahbi, Bahrain, Los Angeles-well you get the picture). The service and food are superb. Note: It’s a big place but the entrance is discreet to the point of being difficult to find-but it’s there. Once inside it is designed with much care being given to a sense of small area intimacy.

Finally, 46th St. between 8th and 9th is “Restaurant Row”-lot’s of places.

Unless you are going to a “destination restaurant” and less so even there, nice casual dress is OK. ENJOY MY TOWN!:D

Del Friscos double eagle steak house( right across the street from Radio City music hall). This is open for lunch during the week as well. As a side note for a dessert you may want to try Rice to Riches. It is right by little Italy and many flavors to choose from, and sizes to take with you.

ENJOY

Reasonably priced and quite good? Try Becco on West 46th (Lidia Bastianich).

And, though touristy, plenty of local families eat at Carmine's on West 44th.

Like Peruvian? Pio Pio on 10th Avenue

Though further away, one of my favorites is the original Socarrat paella restaurants (in the Chelsea)

Was in NY the other day to go to the MET and ate dinner at Becco since it was in the correct direction for us, we've eaten there before, and we weren't dressed for a fancy restaurant. I concur that the food is good and reasonably priced for NY. It can be noisy and a little crowded especially if people are eating there just before curtain time, it is in the theatre district. It is also "walkable" to the pier.