Sharing drinks packages

However if they did that it would effectively open the door to sharing as anyone could just say " I didn't like it so I gave it to my friend"

At the end of the day there is a whole lot more food wasted than there are drinks.

When I was on the Freedom last April, we watched a lady get her package canceled for sharing. Her excuse was just that "I didn't like it so I gave it to my sister." Royal didn't really care why she gave it to her sister, it was still breaking the agreement and she lost her package.

another funny scenario would be the next cruise I go on would do a photo review of me just getting drinks with my drink package and dumping them straight into the toilet. "here's what it looks like pouring a beer down the toilet", "here's what it looks like pouring a margarita down the toilet" and then do this like 20 times. Then at the end I'll show a pic of unhappy wife saying "but it's okay, because I didn't share!!!!"

I think we all need to worry about ourselves 30xebs5.gif

ROLL ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING! I'm nearly crying! Any chance you can book the Allure for May 14th we can use that kind of humor on board!! I'm sure some of the drink package police on the board are not amused. I'll try to button it up.

I was just thinking the same thing. People who think the cost of alcohol goes up because people share the package are way off. There is 1 reason and 1 reason only the cost goes up, and its because people are willing to pay for it. RCL will keep raising the prices until it gets to a point where the revenues stop growing. If people give their spouse a few drinks during the cruise off of a package, yes you can say its stealing, but it does not effect revenue. What would the difference be if someone just drinks a hell of a lot to the bottom line there is no difference. The reason the package exists is because RCL is making tons of money off of it.

It is still wrong, even if you do try to justify it.:p

• 5 weeks later...
So if I want to buy a drink for my wife and I bought the package shouldn't a drink that I want to buy for my wife be the cost of a drink to me and hence charged to my package? Or do I have to insist they charge it separately? Silly.

Simple solution, use your wife's SeaPass card to buy her drink.

So if I want to buy a drink for my wife and I bought the package shouldn't a drink that I want to buy for my wife be the cost of a drink to me and hence charged to my package? Or do I have to insist they charge it separately? Silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No it shouldn't be charged to your package- it's not a drink for you. You sign /click a box stating you have read the terms of the package which is "no sharing". "Buying" a drink under your package for someone else is sharing. They can- and we've seen them do it- revoke your package and not refund you for the remaining days

Well... next time post a video of the whole reprimand and revocation in front of so many witnesses. Seems it happens so often and it would be very interesting to see. But I'd like to have the video of our fellow poster pouring drinks in the toilet while his wife watches posted right after. If we can get a crew member standing next to the wife while shaking their head saying well..."that's ok" or "nothing we can do about that" that would add to the hilarity. Silly really.

Simple solution, use your wife's SeaPass card to buy her drink.

So what you are saying is I really wouldn't be buying her a drink at all then. But I see where you were coming from my wife and I do share bank accounts so that would work for us I guess. But let's say two friends are sitting at the bar and one friend on the deluxe package says "hey let me buy you a drink" the other friend says "sure!" Then the friend who made the offer says "hey give me your sea pass card so I can pay for your drink" the other friend replies "why don't you go ahead and pay for tomorrow's excursion while you are at it"

So what you are saying is I really wouldn't be buying her a drink at all then. But I see where you were coming from my wife and I do share bank accounts so that would work for us I guess. But let's say two friends are sitting at the bar and one friend on the deluxe package says "hey let me buy you a drink" the other friend says "sure!" Then the friend who made the offer says "hey give me your sea pass card so I can pay for your drink" the other friend replies "why don't you go ahead and pay for tomorrow's excursion while you are at it"

I don't see this issue as a big deal. You give the bartender your card and say you need to pay for your friend's drink. It's not rocket science.

I am purchasing the non-alcohol beverage package - my husband is not. If he is kind enough to go and get me a smoothie to bring to the cabin will they serve it to him or do I physically have to get it myself?

Some bar staff will not let him. If he also had a package and was getting a drink for both of you, then it would not be an issue. If he is just getting your drink and his face is not the one attached to the card they swipe, then he may not be served. They would have no way of knowing the drink he says he is buying for the card holder is actually for the card holder. I think it depends on the staff

if you want to buy a drink for someone, you tell the bartender that you want 2 drinks, one on your package and one to be charged. what happens at that point is the bar tender's responsibility , not yours. you may be given a slip to sign that has both drinks, or 2 slips that has each drink on it, or just one slip for the charged drink.

This is simply a question of ethics and honesty. If someone chooses to steal, so be it. Problem is, and why we get irate, it effects all of us. This is EXACTLY why other cruiselines require all people in a cabin 21 or over to purchase the package. RCCL doesn't That'll change because of these people. They can justify it as they wish, but it's still totally unethical and a form of theft. Amazing how people feel it's ok to do this. Speaks highly to character.

Actually Royal started that way then had to switch because they were sued for forcing alcoholic spouses to buy a drink package.

Actually Royal started that way then had to switch because they were sued for forcing alcoholic spouses to buy a drink package.

I'm thinking that story might be a bit of an urban legend. There are still cruise lines today that insist that everyone in the room buys the package. If someone was actually successful in suing Royal over that then I'm sure that the other lines would have been sued as well.

Two questions? What are the 3 free drink vouchers people are speaking of and do people actually remove the prepaid gratuities? I thought that was a mandatory charge. Not that I want to remove them on my next cruise but I tipped everyone in cash, some people quite a bit, so I'm just wondering if it's something you should do when tipping in cash. Thanks!

Two questions? What are the 3 free drink vouchers people are speaking of and do people actually remove the prepaid gratuities? I thought that was a mandatory charge. Not that I want to remove them on my next cruise but I tipped everyone in cash, some people quite a bit, so I'm just wondering if it's something you should do when tipping in cash. Thanks!

The 3 drink vouchers are for those in Crown & Anchor (Royal's loyalty society) at the Diamond level or higher. Diamond level is 80 cruise points, which is 80 nights at sea in a non-suite, or 40 nights at sea in a suite (or in a non-suite as a solo cruiser), or 27 nights at sea if you are a solo cruiser in a suite.

Yes, people remove gratuities.

Thats cheating and not fair to the people who brought 2 drink packages such as myself who paid 759.00 for 2 drink packages, one for myself and the other for my husband. If your wife wants to drink then she should have her own drink package for pay for her drink.

Character is defined by what we do when others are not watching. We can debate this till the cows come home but nothing will get resolved here. The cruise lines will take the matter in-house and deal with it in a manner that benefits them. We probably wont like it much but that is the way that all businesses deal with shrinkage (aka. theft). I found that the Freestyle machines would only work with the cups provided with the drink package. I tried it with the cup I had at lunch since I left my drink package cup in the room and it wouldn't work.

I know they have the 31 for 15 drinks, purchased, and the soda package for 9( and change), purchased, but I wish they had a coffee plan like the soda. My wife is a diet coke drinker (soda) and I am coffee($31). I never drink soda and she never drinks coffee. I did consider getting a single package for $26 and have her get me coffee, but elected for the $70 plus $31. I am hoping to catch the prices dropping before the cruise. I may also get another card for $31.

I am also sad to see this cruise we will not be able to bring bottle water or other things. We have almost always taken stuff. Diet coke, water bottles, double shots, red bulls. I would also happily purchase a coffee plan for the difference between the soda and the 26. At home I drink mostly coffee as my first cup but then espresso all day. Either as a shot or in lattes and stuff. Oh well we will make it work.

I know they have the 31 for 15 drinks, purchased, and the soda package for 9( and change), purchased, but I wish they had a coffee plan like the soda. My wife is a diet coke drinker (soda) and I am coffee($31). I never drink soda and she never drinks coffee. I did consider getting a single package for $26 and have her get me coffee, but elected for the $70 plus $31. I am hoping to catch the prices dropping before the cruise. I may also get another card for $31.

I am also sad to see this cruise we will not be able to bring bottle water or other things. We have almost always taken stuff. Diet coke, water bottles, double shots, red bulls. I would also happily purchase a coffee plan for the difference between the soda and the 26. At home I drink mostly coffee as my first cup but then espresso all day. Either as a shot or in lattes and stuff. Oh well we will make it work.

Why aren't you allowed to take water or soda on?

While officially not allowed it is rarely enforced and I've never heard of anyone knowing I advance that it would be enforced.

Why aren't you allowed to take water or soda on?

While officially not allowed it is rarely enforced and I've never heard of anyone knowing I advance that it would be enforced.

I try my best to follow the rules. We will have hydro flasks for water and such. Like I said, my wife will be happy she can drink her wait in golden diet coke. Bottles of water are convienent but I always travel with some sort of backpack so a flask will do. I know coffee is free so I can awake with that although espresso would be nice. I will make it work.

I tell my son that if 10 people are doing something wrongs don't you are part of it, odd are with our luck, we will the ones getting caught. I saw a post here where people brought plastic flasks filled with boose. Like a liquor can full. How they don't get caught is beyond me. I few years ago on carnival I brought a small multi tool and although the agent could not show me any literature, and I was able to show him carnivals website that said it was allowed, I almost had to either throw it out or spend 45 minutes walking it back to the car. The blade was 1.1 inches big and .3 inches wide and it said I could carry anything under 4 inches.

My luck I would have to spend $300 buying Royal Caribbean clothes because my luggage was secured on the dock.

I was only pointing out that in my case although we would be "sharing " the package, it's only because the bundle process is not designed for us. I guess it's still double the drinks because 2 people are using it at the same time. If they drop the price let's say to 13-15 for the the non alcoholic package I will drop the 31$ and get it, but not at $26 a day. That's 6 lattes or 12 espresso or so a day, I am not that big of a junky.

I try my best to follow the rules. We will have hydro flasks for water and such. Like I said, my wife will be happy she can drink her wait in golden diet coke. Bottles of water are convienent but I always travel with some sort of backpack so a flask will do. I know coffee is free so I can awake with that although espresso would be nice. I will make it work.

I tell my son that if 10 people are doing something wrongs don't you are part of it, odd are with our luck, we will the ones getting caught. I saw a post here where people brought plastic flasks filled with boose. Like a liquor can full. How they don't get caught is beyond me. I few years ago on carnival I brought a small multi tool and although the agent could not show me any literature, and I was able to show him carnivals website that said it was allowed, I almost had to either throw it out or spend 45 minutes walking it back to the car. The blade was 1.1 inches big and .3 inches wide and it said I could carry anything under 4 inches.

My luck I would have to spend $300 buying Royal Caribbean clothes because my luggage was secured on the dock.

I was only pointing out that in my case although we would be "sharing " the package, it's only because the bundle process is not designed for us. I guess it's still double the drinks because 2 people are using it at the same time. If they drop the price let's say to 13-15 for the the non alcoholic package I will drop the 31$ and get it, but not at $26 a day. That's 6 lattes or 12 espresso or so a day, I am not that big of a junky.

When the cruise line does not enforce a policy and will actually deliver cases of water or soda to your stateroom if you put a luggage tag on it then IMO it ceases to be a rule. It's not like you are trying to sneak it onboard. Knowing how well Royal maintains the accuracy of its website I will put it down to a policy of the past that they have no interest in enforcing.

I also don't understand how you won't break the rules by bringing water on board so that you set a good example for your son yet you will share a drink package that is clearly not meant for sharing.

When the cruise line does not enforce a policy and will actually deliver cases of water or soda to your stateroom if you put a luggage tag on it then IMO it ceases to be a rule. It's not like you are trying to sneak it onboard. Knowing how well Royal maintains the accuracy of its website I will put it down to a policy of the past that they have no interest in enforcing.

I also don't understand how you won't break the rules by bringing water on board so that you set a good example for your son yet you will share a drink package that is clearly not meant for sharing.

the ref to my son was to show that we are usually the ones who get caught even though everyone does it. meaning when he gets in trouble and tries to say well everyone else was doing it.

In my comments I said I thought about it because me and my wife are so lopsided in what we want. I also clarified and stated we purchased the soda and 31$ 15 coffee punch card. I also stated that if, at some point, they lower the cost of the $26 plan to something around 13-15$ I would do that. That means I would drop the $31 and pay $91 or so plus grats in addition to the 70$ for my wife to have soda. I have also stated that although everyone else says to bring soda, water, liquor( not that we would cause we dont drink) or anything else on, because the rules say no we wont and we will fill up where available.

I feel better about myself for looking very hard for the best options within the rules. Not that rcl is reading or caring about anything more then making money, but it would be nice for more drink options like water and coffee, or water, or coffee (again specialty stuff). Just like, i am sure people would like just beer or just wine. I know they have an evian package for $39 but lets be real, thats highway robbery.

• 11 months later...
Never brought any bottled water or soda on board. I also always abide by the suggested dress code and have yet to hog a pool side deck lounger. Believe it or not, there are people who don't see a need to break any rules big or small regardless of personal opinion on a subject. I may not like that the cruise line does not want me to bring soda on board, but I am not going to disregard their request either. Their house, their rules

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you. We didn’t sneak in any outside drinks, alcoholic or otherwise. We didn’t smoke on our balcony. (I’m not a smoker, but my husband smokes cigars.) We didn’t put a towel on a lounge chair at 3 a.m. to save it until we got up later. Ok... that’s hyperbole, but we didn’t save chairs at any time, though I sometimes thought about it when I couldn’t find one available in a prime location! :p We both bought drink packages. We did this for a reason that might not make sense to others. Convenience. I wasn’t sure I would get my money’s worth, but I also didn’t want to think about how much each drink cost. I drank champagne, lattes, and had wine with dinner everyday. I tried multiple mixed drinks as well as a variety of martinis. If I disliked something, I asked for something else without feeling like I was wasting my money. It’s called vacation for a reason. No stress. No worries! I think people just need to follow the rules. I can’t imagine sneaking around for all of that. On the other hand, I don’t pay too much attention to what others do in that case. I know people who have shared a drink package. They were smug in that they believed they were the smart ones for getting all the booze they wanted without buying two drink packages. They won’t go on a cruise if both have to buy the package. I do think it comes down to ethics. However, if you’re a rule breaker and the cruise lines start changing policy, you only have yourself to blame.