MDR Questions (K-dam/Nieuw Statendam, European Itinerary)

stickey_mouse

Hello! I will be part of a large group (between 30 and 40 people) sailing on the Nieuw Statendam next year. I have a few questions, as far as dining in the MDR:

For a European itinerary and port-intensive cruise, is it best to sign up for the main (late) dining time?

Does the late dining time make it nearly impossible to catch the shows in the main showroom?

Assuming all of our reservations are properly linked, how does HAL usually handle such large groups in the dining room? I know we will be split up among several tables, but are the tables usually located in the same area?

For the Koningsdam/Nieuw Statendam, do you prefer the upper or lower level in the MDR, and why?

We will have at least one vegan in our group. Does HAL offer good vegan options in the MDR?

Thanks so much.

Hello! I will be part of a large group (between 30 and 40 people) sailing on the Nieuw Statendam next year. I have a few questions, as far as dining in the MDR:

For a European itinerary and port-intensive cruise, is it best to sign up for the main (late) dining time?

Does the late dining time make it nearly impossible to catch the shows in the main showroom?

Assuming all of our reservations are properly linked, how does HAL usually handle such large groups in the dining room? I know we will be split up among several tables, but are the tables usually located in the same area?

For the Koningsdam/Nieuw Statendam, do you prefer the upper or lower level in the MDR, and why?

We will have at least one vegan in our group. Does HAL offer good vegan options in the MDR?

Thanks so much.

We always go for anytime dining for the flexibility it gives us to dine at different times. But if you want to dine as a large group, maybe a set time would be best.

When we were on the Koningsdam there were three shows most nights so you should have no problem seeing the show no matter what time you choose for dinner.

I know there were always vegetarian choices on the dining menu, but not sure if it would be vegan. I'm sure a vegan can speak to the MDR staff and get meals that would be appropriate - may require planning today for a meal tomorrow.

We have no preference for lower or upper MDR.

Your assignment to a particular floor for the dinner room may be determined by which type of seating you chose. Usually fixed seating is on the upper floor, anytime on the lower. This varies sometimes by demand for one type of dinning over another. For example, if there is a very high demand for fixed seating, some seating on the lower floor dinning room will be allocated.

Your assignment to a particular floor for the dinner room may be determined by which type of seating you chose. Usually fixed seating is on the upper floor, anytime on the lower. This varies sometimes by demand for one type of dinning over another. For example, if there is a very high demand for fixed seating, some seating on the lower floor dinning room will be allocated.
If I remember correctly, there was an option for both upper and lower fixed seating.

Second seating on European itineraries tends to be late - at least 8 pm if not later. I'm sure someone else on CC can confirm the time. Is everyone in your party ok with that? I can't imagine that you're going to get everyone in such a large group to agree to all eat at the same time. Unless they are traveling on someone else's dime.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Second seating on European itineraries tends to be late - at least 8 pm if not later. I'm sure someone else on CC can confirm the time. Is everyone in your party ok with that? I can't imagine that you're going to get everyone in such a large group to agree to all eat at the same time. Unless they are traveling on someone else's dime.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sure what you say is true, but I'm concerned that the bigger mistake would be to sign up for early dining and have to rush back to the ship each day. Just a thought.

If I remember correctly, there was an option for both upper and lower fixed seating.

On K'dam they do mix fixed and open. I don't know why, when they don't on other ships.

For a large group like OP's, I would call HAL and see if reservations could be made for the large tables in the center on the lower deck. We were upstairs by the railing on K'dam, and could see large tables there. I recall seeing at least one very large oval (for 10-12 people) and some rounds nearby. Nieuw Statendam is likely to have a similar arrangement.

Check the halfacts site to see a dining room layout diagram.