"Florence on Your Own" Excursion

hoffdahl

When we took the "excursion" (it's really just a ride there and back) a couple of years back, we were dropped off and picked up at the same place, which was at the edge of the historical city centre.

Can't tell you the exact location, but it was a small-to-medium sized square with shops surrounding it and artists and others selling their wares. When I say just off the city centre, I mean it was about a 10 minute walk to the square where the statue of David was.

When we took the "excursion" (it's really just a ride there and back) a couple of years back, we were dropped off and picked up at the same place, which was at the edge of the historical city centre.

Can't tell you the exact location, but it was a small-to-medium sized square with shops surrounding it and artists and others selling their wares. When I say just off the city centre, I mean it was about a 10 minute walk to the square where the statue of David was.

The replica is in the square, the real one is in the museum. No biggie, just wouldn't want to confuse anyone.

We have taken "Florence On Your Own" twice in the last 3 years. Both times a guide walked us from the drop off point to the square in front of the Church of Santa Croce. You can expect to be taken to a leather shop with restroom facilities. The guide will advise you of the time to meet back at the same church. Everything is so compact in Florence. If you can walk 2 miles in 45 minutes you can easily walk to any of the major sites in the city center.

We saved the Santa Croce for last. It is not to be missed. If you have any interest in history at all, you will be fascinated by all of the tombs and artwork inside. We would recommend getting the headphones and allowing about an hour.

Good luck and have a marvelous time! -Kathy

I have been to Florence several times...a word of caution.

There are a lot of Gypse kids that roam the areea outside the central square. I am very heads-up and several times was assaulted by bands of kids , waving papers and closing for the kill.

If you do Florence on your own... be very careful of getting even a tad off the beaten track. Knowing what I know now, I would not stray from the central attractions. There is a strong element out there waiting for you...... :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

The above poster is correct in warning you of the Gypsies. We have spent a considerable amount of time in Europe and have seen very little crime, expect for "pick pockets". It seems like the worst country is Italy and the worst cities are Rome and Florence for the likely hood of having problems.

My wife lived in Florence and we have also stayed in Florence many times and half of those stays we experienced the Gypsies. They are easy to spot and usually travel in groups of adults or kids. The best way to not have problems is to follow basic personal security. If you have a problem the best policy is to cover your valuables and scream police.

Mike

2 yrs ago the drop off for "Florence on Your Own" was the plaza in front of the Santa Croce. A tour guide told me it was a very popular meeting place for both cruise and land tours since it was on all the maps and locals could direct you if you got lost. (There were rumors of strikes so we didn't want to take the train & the O tour worked beautifully.)

2 yrs ago the drop off for "Florence on Your Own" was the plaza in front of the Santa Croce. A tour guide told me it was a very popular meeting place for both cruise and land tours since it was on all the maps and locals could direct you if you got lost. (There were rumors of strikes so we didn't want to take the train & the O tour worked beautifully.)

Can you give me a quote for the price of this "drop off" and yes I realize increases thru the years

Archived