Butler Deprivation?

Observer

We have been on several Seabourn cruises as well as a number of Windstar cruises. On both lines, we found that our room attendants were more than adequate to meet our needs. The Windstar stewards were all hardworking, pleasant and very personable. They "make" Windstar. On Seabourn, which usually is considered in the same category as Silversea, while some stewardesses were more personable than others, all kept our room clean and made sure the right brand of alcohol was provided. We never felt slighted or in need.

Our first Silversea cruise was on the Silver Wind last summer and it gave us the experience of a butler. My opinion is that the butler/stewardness combination is overkill but I also found that I fully enjoyed the enhancement. Probably, my opinion is shaped by the outstanding personalty of our butler (Putu) who was always smiling and, for us, became the "face" of the ship. Being new to Silversea, we had no relationship with any of the staff but we had Putu. To be candid, based on only one Silversea cruise, I like Silversea but prefer Seabourn. (For one thing, I don't like the fuss regarding dinner reservations on Silversea.) However, we liked Silversea enough that we are taking another cruise this September and we look forward to it for various reasons, a major one being the pleasure of having a butler. It is so easy to be spoiled.

I think that the butler concept was an attempt by Silversea to differentiate themselves.

With that said I found the butlers on Silversea to be more like what we had with the Queens Grill on Cunard and not at the same level that we have in suites on Crystal or for that matter used to have with Suites at Celebrity.

I found them to be a cross between a butler and a room steward. Sort of hybrid.

I also found them to be overworked and more stretched on Silversea then on Celebrity and Crystal.

On a personal basis I do like having a butler when we cruise but not one in name but one that actually attends to those added details that we enjoy.

Keith

I think that the butler concept was an attempt by Silversea to differentiate themselves.

I agree, and I think it does differentiate SS in a successful way.

On a personal basis I do like having a butler when we cruise but not one in name but one that actually attends to those added details that we enjoy.

That's exactly what our butlers did for us on all 3 of our SS cruises (Cloud, Spirit & Spirit). Sounds like you are taking a shot at SS or did not have a good butler on your SS cruises. On my prior 2 Crystal, one Regent, one Paul Gauguin and one Windstar cruises, it was no where near as easy to request drinks for our suite, or make other special requests. On our room service deliveries on those cruises it always felt like the person delivering the food was in such a rush to get out and was rarely friendly. Room service on our SS cruises was always enjoyable because of the butler.

I agree, and I think it does differentiate SS in a successful way.

That's exactly what our butlers did for us on all 3 of our SS cruises (Cloud, Spirit & Spirit). Sounds like you are taking a shot at SS or did not have a good butler on your SS cruises. On my prior 2 Crystal, one Regent, one Paul Gauguin and one Windstar cruises, it was no where near as easy to request drinks for our suite, or make other special requests. On our room service deliveries on those cruises it always felt like the person delivering the food was in such a rush to get out and was rarely friendly. Room service on our SS cruises was always enjoyable because of the butler.

I make it a point not to take a "shot" at any cruise line although I certainly don't find all cruise lines to be equal for us.

We enjoyed our Silversea cruise.

Our butler was a very nice person. He did several things right but I did feel that he was not at the same level as those we have had with Crystal or Celebrity.

I did feel that he was overworked and stretched too far and that might be because of the ratio between rooms and butlers and also their responsibilities. I also didn't feel that he nor the one we had in Queens Grill on Cunard was as polished as ones we have had with Crystal or Cunard.

We had a standing order for breakfast in the room; same food (simple) and same time. From time to time the meal arrived quite a bit later. On lines such as Crystal or even Celebrity that has not happened and I suspect because of the rooms assigned to each butler and possibly how they work together as a team. I also am not sure on Silversea what support they have from other personnel.

Anyway that is my experience.

As I often say the opinion that matters the most is our own. :)

Keith

I make it a point not to take a "shot" at any cruise line although I certainly don't find all cruise lines to be equal for us.

I recognize that and appreciate your positivity and kindness on these forums. I guess I got a little defensive due to my love of my prior SS cruises.

I am not a SS regular, but I really felt like the butler was giving us special attention and I know of no reason why other than they are just that good....maybe we just lucked out on all 3 cruises. I have heard they are stretched thin and could believe it, but it never seemed to affect our service.

I recognize that and appreciate your positivity and kindness on these forums. I guess I got a little defensive due to my love of my prior SS cruises.

I am not a SS regular, but I really felt like the butler was giving us special attention and I know of no reason why other than they are just that good....maybe we just lucked out on all 3 cruises. I have heard they are stretched thin and could believe it, but it never seemed to affect our service.

All good and I very much appreciate your followup post.

Thank you.

Keith

And we do too!

We live in the country and the dress of the day is mud shoes and jeans with a fleece or sweatshirt and a Barbour on top. Sooo, we actually like the chance to dress up. Over the years we've accumulated quite a wardrobe of dressy/formal wear. Unless we go on Cunard or SS, we never get to use any of it. I have some beautiful jewelry that I never get to wear unless it's on a cruise!

So I will enjoy my somewhat limited play on Downton Abby! (giggle!)

This post takes me back to the days of dress up and posts about showing off the “Jools” when I used to joust with Lord of the Seas (LOTS) online; as I recall he was an SS enthusiast; is he still around?

I would hate the intrusion. I think I would. No one has ever polished my shoes or rearranged my clothes. Typically, I get off a cruise and immediately miss the crumb scraper. I may add semi-intrusive butler to my bucket list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would not like not having a butler. Ours have been everything from fantastic to very good. Our butlers have responded quite well to our limited requirements and have never been intrusive. We’ve never ever gotten the feeling any of our butlers having been fishing or looking for a tip or gratuity.

When Silversea first added butlers, I had a fit. Now, with a lot of Butler staffed cruises behind me, I have learned to both accept and appreciate the butlers. At the beginning of “Butler World”, my husband would make it very clear that we wanted no attention unless we specifically asked for it. By now, I don’t have to say a word. Evidently SS keeps notes on frequent guests. Either that or the Butlers are much better trained...or I have been extraordinarily fortunate.

ps; I love the dress code!

I began cruising, and with SS at that, in 2009, and have always appreciated butler service. They work their best when they have clear direction from passengers. We tell them what we like or don't like; how we like things to be done; when their service is most appreciated, etc. We have found that they are most comfortable when they know our preferences, and this makes for a very successful relationship. In all cases, I have wished I could have taken them home! My advice is... manage your resources efficiently and kindly and you will not be disappointed.

Total hogwash. If tips are expected it is because people like you have established the precedent, not the company or crew.

It's been 28 months since last SS cruise. In large part because the butler took it upon himself to put his polish on a pair of shoes an idiot should have known not to touch. His supervisor told me to shove it. It's their job to polish shoes, even if in an out of sight drawer. Will be on Wind next month and first order of business is to make clear no butler service.

Hmmmmm. There is a black tote in the closet that reads "shoeshine bag". I have never had shoes polished unless I put them in the bag and set the bag on the bed. Seems strange the butler would go through drawers looking for shoes to polish. But... stranger things have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmmmm. There is a black tote in the closet that reads "shoeshine bag". I have never had shoes polished unless I put them in the bag and set the bag on the bed. Seems strange the butler would go through drawers looking for shoes to polish. But... stranger things have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never had to have butlers polish my dress shoes.

On our last Silversea Cruise our butler did pro-actively remove them on his own and polish them so it does happen. I had no issues with this. Personally (and please no one flame me) I did get the feeling it was part of hoping for a tip for the cruise. I could be wrong but just got the sense.

I really want to mention that our butler was very kind and tried very hard. My gut feeling as I mentioned earlier is that they are stretched and from time to time a little disorganized. I may be all wrong but am just sharing my last experience. Overall though we were pleased to have a butler. We do prefer ships that have butler service but it is certainly not a requirement of ours.

Keith

After reading what people use their butler for I understand more why it didn't work for us. We don't do morning or afternoon tea, prefer to get our morning coffee ourselves on the way to the Gym. Don't drink alcoholic drinks in our room as we prefer to go to a bar. I prefer to get an answer directly re any queries so happily went to reception or the shore excursion staff.

No wonder our butler was so confused re our lack of requests.:D

Julie

Same here. We went on one SS cruise (and liked it a lot), but I never knew what to ask the butler. Which leads me to lauching a little survey: What do you ask your butler for? We are going on another SS cruise later this year, and I'm genuinely interested!

Same here. We went on one SS cruise (and liked it a lot), but I never knew what to ask the butler. Which leads me to lauching a little survey: What do you ask your butler for? We are going on another SS cruise later this year, and I'm genuinely interested!

First day: get appropriate liquor, remove the ice bucket (leaves room in the fridge for more wine and beer) and get appropriate glasses for my brandy (although sometimes I just steal one from the bar).

Arrange for morning tea delivery depending upon cruise itinerary and excursions. We seldom eat in our room, but butlers are invaluable if one of the passengers become ill. My husband caught a cold towards the end of our TA (virus provided by another passenger who came on with a cold and “shared”) and we used our butler more than we would have otherwise.

Throughout the cruise: reservations if required for dinner, and ANY issues. (On our Alaska cruise I mentioned to the butler in passing that we had substandard service in the MDR for breakfast. When we walked into La Terrezza that day for lunch, we were converged upon by the HD, MD, etc. who apologized profusely for the poor service in the MDR.)

Our butler also keeps our eyeglasses clean! When home my husband actually misses this.

We have had both male and female butlers, and enjoy the personalized touch they bring.

I have never had to have butlers polish my dress shoes.

On our last Silversea Cruise our butler did pro-actively remove them on his own and polish them so it does happen. I had no issues with this. Personally (and please no one flame me) I did get the feeling it was part of hoping for a tip for the cruise. I could be wrong but just got the sense.

I really want to mention that our butler was very kind and tried very hard. My gut feeling as I mentioned earlier is that they are stretched and from time to time a little disorganized. I may be all wrong but am just sharing my last experience. Overall though we were pleased to have a butler. We do prefer ships that have butler service but it is certainly not a requirement of ours.

Keith

I think I pretty much share your thoughts (apart from not having my shoes cleaned - I'm happy for that to happen! lol)

I often thought some of the things asked / offered / done were probably to procure a tip, but then you (a) need to realise that's their job and they are aiming to please the guest they are pampering and their bosses happy and (b) I'm probably just being cynical. But which ever it is, it does work and I've always tipped them. Could I do without? Yes. Do I want to? No. Its part of the brand and long may it remain.

Edited by les37b

Okay, I am not trolling but I expect to be flamed.

I think some (all?) other luxury lines offer butlers for higher priced cabins. Silversea provides them for all cabins.

I find Silversea butlers to be intrusive and unnecessary. I am pretty self-sufficient and have found that the suite attendant effectively sees to nearly all of my needs. I do not need my eyeglasses polished and rearranged every day, or my shoes (worn only on the ship) polished several times or my clothes in the closet rearranged (nicely) without any such request. My most recent experience was especially unfortunate with the butler clearly trying to find work (so that I would give him a handsome tip/comment.???). I tried on numerous occasions to suggest that he back off, but he was having none of it.

How would others feel about Silversea offering a group of (presumably sub-prime) suites without butler service and with a somewhat lower price?

Let the flame-throwing begin! :):)

What I read is a 'butler' trying to keep you (his client) happy AND keep his boss happy so he doesn't get fired. A fine line to walk.

What I read is a 'butler' trying to keep you (his client) happy AND keep his boss happy so he doesn't get fired. A fine line to walk.

I read it differently and please remember I was there.

On a related note, I think this is one that it is better for the butler to ask rather then assume that one will want their shoes polished. Just saying. :)

Keith

Does anyone know when the butlers come on duty in the morning? The reason i ask is this: I am an early-riser/non-sleeper and frequently I'm up and wanting coffee at 5am. If I call down to room service and they rousted my butler up early to bring it, I'd feel uncomfortable.

On another note, I've seen previous posts that the Panorama lounge has early riser coffee from 6:30. Does anyone know how this works on the Muse? Would it be the Arts Cafe? At what time?

Does anyone know when the butlers come on duty in the morning? The reason i ask is this: I am an early-riser/non-sleeper and frequently I'm up and wanting coffee at 5am. If I call down to room service and they rousted my butler up early to bring it, I'd feel uncomfortable.

On another note, I've seen previous posts that the Panorama lounge has early riser coffee from 6:30. Does anyone know how this works on the Muse? Would it be the Arts Cafe? At what time?

I think the butlers generally come on duty at 7 AM, maybe as early as 6:30 AM. It’s my understanding that room service only involves the butlers during their duty hours and will take care of any requests outside of those hours with their staff so you should be able to arrange early coffee without the butler. Just ask the butler, they’ll know what and how to arrange it. Haven’t been on the Muse so can’t answer that question. Have gone to the Panorama several mornings on the Wind and Spirit to get my wife and I our first coffee before the butler is up and around.

Firstly - butlers hours are 6.00 am to noon and 16.00-22.00 daily. Butlers are people not machines, so you will always get differences in the way that they interact with passengers.

One or two of the previous posts have referred to the master/servant relationship and what comes across from other posts is that not everybody feels comfortable with politely giving instructions to someone who is there for their benefit.

On embarkation at the first meeting with the butler I set out the requirements for the cruise, as well as what will not be required - such as unpacking. This then means both sides are clear as to expectations.

Tipping is a very personal matter. I too donate to the crew welfare fund, however if either or both of the cabin team have exceeded expectations, a very small financial thank you has been given in recognition. I have only ever had one occasion on SS, in 21 SS cruises, when the butler and suite attendant came looking obviously for a tip on disembarkation morning.

Some of the posts imply that people are happy to turn up to a formal evening with dirty shoes - shoes are normally only cleaned by the butler on "formal" nights. What is the big deal about having your shoes cleaned?

As a typical number, butlers and suite attendants are assigned 15 cabins, and in my experience, both are kept

very busy.

I love the butlers and the ability to dress up on occasions!

Long may both continue!