Ryan Air

Yes they are, but so is just about every other airline operating European routes now, even the flag carriers like British Airways.

Ryanair is the biggest airline in Europe now, but you will see some very polarised views due to their outspoken CEO (caution *very* strong language in the link)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/shortcuts/2013/nov/08/michael-o-leary-33-daftest-quotes

Personally I have used them many times without incident.

Yes they are, but so is just about every other airline operating European routes now, even the flag carriers like British Airways.

Ryanair is the biggest airline in Europe now, but you will see some very polarised views due to their outspoken CEO (caution *very* strong language in the link)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/shortcuts/2013/nov/08/michael-o-leary-33-daftest-quotes

Personally I have used them many times without incident.

Good to know. It will be a short flight between London and Cork.

I am just confused by all the extra fees associated with my flight. I noticed it allows only 20kg for luggage. I am going to call tomorrow to see if the fare includes free carryon. I am looking at the PLUS fares.

Ryanair's CEO, Michael O'Leary, is a goon who believes that any publicity is good publicity. Hence the quotes linked by the magnet.

He's also the king of the European add-on, and has had his knuckles rapped by various regulatory authorities. This video is aimed directly at Ryanair - and altho it's tongue-in-cheek, like all satire it's remarkably true-to-life.

First flight we took with Ryanair, years ago, cost 50 pence. The total was more like £15. So you do need to do a dummy booking to get to the total.

But ............... even with the add-ons they're still cheap.

And punctual (though that's a bit of a fudge - they over-quote the journey time so altho they often depart late they still arrive on-time or early.:rolleyes:)

Good safety record too.

One dodge is they use secondary airports. For instance their flights to "Barcelona" go to Girona - about 60 miles from Barcelona.

Their main UK hub is London Stansted, at 40 miles the most distant of London's airports.

But, as said, they're cheap.

And we've used them quite often, always without problems

JB :)

Good to know. It will be a short flight between London and Cork.

I am just confused by all the extra fees associated with my flight. I noticed it allows only 20kg for luggage. I am going to call tomorrow to see if the fare includes free carryon. I am looking at the PLUS fares.

Yes, it does include a carry-on, but only 10kg and Ryan Air have a slightly smaller size limit than standard. And they are strict on the limits, with an expensive fee to check the bag if it exceeds them.

The Plus fare includes Priority Boarding, which 'guarantees' you will get to carry on your carry-on - they only allow 90 bags in the cabin per flight, but if you are denied for that reason it is free to check the bag.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have flown Ryanair hundreds of times and as long as you stick to their rules, they are fine. Generally, they are usually on time. They are the largest airline in Europe with the most modern fleet.

Some years ago I also went on quite a number of flights costing 50 pence one way. There are still bargains to be had and the earlier you book, the better the deal.

Last year we flew from London to Marseille return for £30 each.

We have flown Ryanair hundreds of times and as long as you stick to their rules, they are fine. Generally, they are usually on time. They are the largest airline in Europe with the most modern fleet.

Some years ago I also went on quite a number of flights costing 50 pence one way. There are still bargains to be had and the earlier you book, the better the deal.

Last year we flew from London to Marseille return for £30 each.

London to Cork is about $60 for PLUS fare. I thought that is pretty darn cheap. I worry about our luggage may be over 20kg. We are on a month long trip through Europe and each person is carrying one large suitcase each. All the other airilnes we will fly on allow 50lbs. That's why I asked about the carry on. I may bring a bag to throw things in the bag and carry it on.

Ryanair's CEO, Michael O'Leary, is a goon who believes that any publicity is good publicity. Hence the quotes linked by the magnet.

He's also the king of the European add-on, and has had his knuckles rapped by various regulatory authorities. This video is aimed directly at Ryanair - and altho it's tongue-in-cheek, like all satire it's remarkably true-to-life.

First flight we took with Ryanair, years ago, cost 50 pence. The total was more like £15. So you do need to do a dummy booking to get to the total.

But ............... even with the add-ons they're still cheap.

And punctual (though that's a bit of a fudge - they over-quote the journey time so altho they often depart late they still arrive on-time or early.:rolleyes:)

Good safety record too.

One dodge is they use secondary airports. For instance their flights to "Barcelona" go to Girona - about 60 miles from Barcelona.

Their main UK hub is London Stansted, at 40 miles the most distant of London's airports.

But, as said, they're cheap.

And we've used them quite often, always without problems

JB :)

Welcome back JB!!! Hope you had a fantastic cruise!

Ryanair baggage charges, like most low cost airlines, are a minefield.

The base fare does not include *any* hold luggage but allows you two cabin bags. If you want hold luggage you have to buy it at the same time as the ticket. Don't buy it at the airport as they will charge you £50 per bag. Do not go over the weight limit as they will charge you.

For the cabin bags they allow two, a larger one measuring (iirc) 50x40x20cm and no more than 10KG, and a smaller one about the size of a handbag. A change of rules recently means if you have not booked Priority Boarding (not the same as the Plus fare but about £6) then the larger of the two bags will be taken from you at the aircraft steps and put in the hold for free and you only get to take the smaller bag into the cabin.

Their flights are cheap, although not as cheap as a few years ago when I managed a day trip to Dublin for nothing.

You have to factor in getting to Stansted but there is a direct train from Liverpool Street which takes about an hour. Booked in advance, it can be as little as £7.00.

http://www.stanstedairport.com/getting-to-and-from/train/stansted-express/

We have accommodations booked next to Windsor Castle. Our trip is in mid June. There are 7 in our group and hope maybe shuttle pricing is reasonable between the two.

London to Cork is about $60 for PLUS fare. I thought that is pretty darn cheap. I worry about our luggage may be over 20kg. We are on a month long trip through Europe and each person is carrying one large suitcase each. All the other airilnes we will fly on allow 50lbs. That's why I asked about the carry on. I may bring a bag to throw things in the bag and carry it on.

If your bags are heavy, I’d suggest getting one of those canvas fold-up bags and paying for one extra checked bag. It will be cheaper than paying the overweight charges. They also used to weigh the carry ons pretty often. I haven’t seen them do that in a while, but I’m still very careful.

It may be worthwhile looking at Aer Lingus or BA to Ireland from LHR which is much nearer to Windsor.

I did and it was about 3 times the price...and there are 7 of us. Aer Lingus has a price about $100, but it is equivalent to what we have in the US called basic economy. No checkin, no seat selection, no carryon....just you and a personal item.

I will continue to monitor the pricing....

You need to do a dummy booking to see what the final price will be with Ryanair, taking into account the cost for seat selection [which allows you more cabin luggage], overweight luggage penalties, etc etc. The end result may not be much different from Aer Lingus/BA etc, especially when you take into account the cost of getting to Stansted.

Personally I never fly with Ryanair after a horrendous and expensive experience when they cancelled a flight I was booked on, with no notice. However, as others have said, if things go according to plan, you should be OK. However, the check-in and gate staff can be draconian in their application of weight and size conditions - be warned !

You need to do a dummy booking to see what the final price will be with Ryanair, taking into account the cost for seat selection [which allows you more cabin luggage], overweight luggage penalties, etc etc. The end result may not be much different from Aer Lingus/BA etc, especially when you take into account the cost of getting to Stansted.

Personally I never fly with Ryanair after a horrendous and expensive experience when they cancelled a flight I was booked on, with no notice. However, as others have said, if things go according to plan, you should be OK. However, the check-in and gate staff can be draconian in their application of weight and size conditions - be warned !

We have something similar to Ryanair in US called Spirit Airlines. Not one person I know liked their experiences with this carrier. However, it seems like some people have had luck with Ryanair, at least the ones who responded to my post.

What happens when they cancelled your flight? Do they book you on something else for free?

There is a price difference between Aer Lingus, Iberia, BA vs Ryanair....when I multiply that difference by 7, it is a good difference.

We have something similar to Ryanair in US called Spirit Airlines. Not one person I know liked their experiences with this carrier. However, it seems like some people have had luck with Ryanair, at least the ones who responded to my post.

What happens when they cancelled your flight? Do they book you on something else for free?

There is a price difference between Aer Lingus, Iberia, BA vs Ryanair....when I multiply that difference by 7, it is a good difference.

The cancellation issue is a point of contention. When Ryanair cancelled 100s of flights last year, due to mis-management of pilot rotas, they at first only offered to fly you on the next Ryanair flight with available seats, which could have been 7 days in the future. After pressure from the authorities, Ryanair allowed passengers affected to book with other airlines, and then recoup the costs back from Ryanair.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

lifeasme123

Apart from the price difference have you taken into account the transport Costa in getting to Stansted and also the convenience factor? Ryanair fly to Ireland from Stansted and Gatwick.

For 7 of you it would probably be easier to get a reputable car service.

Sometimes it's not always price that is the deciding factor.

lifeasme123

Sometimes it's not always price that is the deciding factor.

Absolutely agree! It is the not the deciding factor for me. When I started this thread, it was to find out about Ryan Air. I also looked at the travel time between Windsor and Stansted, that is the deciding factor for me at this time. I like convenience without being gouged.

The company we booked with for our tours also offer airport shuttle service. They are charging us 95 pounds for the ride to Stansted.

I ran a dummy booking through the Ryanair website and on a random day in June, with two 20kg bags and a "Plus" booking, the fare is still under £50 from GTW to ORK. You should note that 50lbs is 22kg so you would need to be careful on that count.

Your choice of a Windsor hotel is another subject for debate and it would be helpful to know why you made that choice.

I ran a dummy booking through the Ryanair website and on a random day in June, with two 20kg bags and a "Plus" booking, the fare is still under £50 from GTW to ORK. You should note that 50lbs is 22kg so you would need to be careful on that count.

I am aware about the weight difference between 20kg and 50 lbs (US). Someone posted about a folding canvas bag which i think is a great idea. There are 7 in our group, but only 6 bags. Over the years, DH, DD and I have managed to travel with 2 suitcases. As such, we have DD luggage allowance for the Ryan AIr flight.

Your choice of a Windsor hotel is another subject for debate and it would be helpful to know why you made that choice.

On this trip, I do not want to do anything in London. We want to explore other areas: Bath and Stonehenge, or Cotswold. We will spend 1/2 day at Windsor Castle as well.

Ryan air have gotten way better now than a couple of years ago. I fly with them several times a year. I live in Cork so do the Stanstead flight regularly.

There has been some inaccurate information given. There is no difference in cabin allowance between the different ticket types. Everyone is entitled to one cabin bag and a handbag/duty-free bag.

The prices displayed on all European website includes all taxes and airport charges (it is against regulations to not show these charges up front).

What you don't see in the Base price are the add ons.

When you chose your flights there are usually 3 options give. Low fair (no extras included) , flexi (you can make changes to your booking ) and plus fair , the most expensive (includes 1 checked bag, choose your seat and priority board) (I just booked this fair last weekend Cork to Stansted in August ).

No matter what fair you choose you all get cabin luggage and handbag in cluded.

Now if you choose the lowest fare you can add as many bags as you like to the hold but you pay for each individual bag. You usually have a choice between 15kg and 20kg. They are strict on the weight. You also can purchase choose your own seat, price varies though out plane (usually cheapest at the back ) and finally you can get priority boarding. Now these prices go up and down as Ryanair at times offers specials on these too.

As you are already checking luggage there's no point in getting priority boarding. People choose this so they can ensure there cabin bags go on with them. If you really must sit together for the hour flight then you can chose your seats ($10 pp). Personally I don't bother unless the seats are on sale.

So what happens in Cork airport is that the ground staff asks for volunteers to put their luggage in the hold. In your case you go yes, she then puts a luggage tag on your case and there is someone by the plane stairs who will take your case (sometimes they ask you to put it on a trolley, more likely to happen in Stansted).

You all ready have to wait for bags so why bother with hassle of getting bags on plane.

Now I haven't seen anyone weighing bags by the door in a few years now. But they are ruthless on the plane. No coats or handbags in over head bins. If there is no room for your bag in a over head bin they will take them and put them in the hold.

This is my comprehensive guide for Ryanair Cork to Stansted flights.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Ryan air have gotten way better now than a couple of years ago. I fly with them several times a year. I live in Cork so do the Stanstead flight regularly.

There has been some inaccurate information given. There is no difference in cabin allowance between the different ticket types. Everyone is entitled to one cabin bag and a handbag/duty-free bag.

The prices displayed on all European website includes all taxes and airport charges (it is against regulations to not show these charges up front).

What you don't see in the Base price are the add ons.

When you chose your flights there are usually 3 options give. Low fair (no extras included) , flexi (you can make changes to your booking ) and plus fair , the most expensive (includes 1 checked bag, choose your seat and priority board) (I just booked this fair last weekend Cork to Stansted in August ).

No matter what fair you choose you all get cabin luggage and handbag in cluded.

Now if you choose the lowest fare you can add as many bags as you like to the hold but you pay for each individual bag. You usually have a choice between 15kg and 20kg. They are strict on the weight. You also can purchase choose your own seat, price varies though out plane (usually cheapest at the back ) and finally you can get priority boarding. Now these prices go up and down as Ryanair at times offers specials on these too.

As you are already checking luggage there's no point in getting priority boarding. People choose this so they can ensure there cabin bags go on with them. If you really must sit together for the hour flight then you can chose your seats ($10 pp). Personally I don't bother unless the seats are on sale.

So what happens in Cork airport is that the ground staff asks for volunteers to put their luggage in the hold. In your case you go yes, she then puts a luggage tag on your case and there is someone by the plane stairs who will take your case (sometimes they ask you to put it on a trolley, more likely to happen in Stansted).

You all ready have to wait for bags so why bother with hassle of getting bags on plane.

Now I haven't seen anyone weighing bags by the door in a few years now. But they are ruthless on the plane. No coats or handbags in over head bins. If there is no room for your bag in a over head bin they will take them and put them in the hold.

This is my comprehensive guide for Ryanair Cork to Stansted flights.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

kerryincork - once again thank you! Did you find Stansted easy to navigate? LHR is a nightmare! Gatwick has only one flight between Gatwick and Cork, so that is why I am looking at Stansted.

The ticket price I looked at is $56 and that includes the check luggage (20kg), priority boarding and seat selection. The lower priced one is $34. We figured for another $22 we can the extras.