Alaskan cruise questions...

nance1411

This sounds like the roundtrip itinerary out of San Francisco on the Grand Princess.

A great cruise. We've done it twice. The one thing I would suggest as a "don't miss." is the Alfredo's pizza parlor on Deck 6. This is a no charge sit down restaurant that offers a very relaxing dining experience. The minus is that the only menu items are pizzas. However, you can bring a salad from the International Cafe which is also on Deck 5.

Do you drink wine? Do you like to drink your own wine? Princess allows each adult to carry on one 750 ml bottle of wine. You may drink that bottle at your leisure in your cabin. If you would like to have that bottle with your dinner in the dining room or in one of the specialty restaurants, you can do so and you will be charged a $15 corkage charge. Actually, you can bring as much wine as you want. The excess beyond the "free" bottle(s) are subject to an immediate $15/per bottle corkage charge at the pier, but you can take those bottles to any venue and enjoy them with no additional fee.

Do you like crab? Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau is a regular with many cruisers. On our last cruise we were discouraged by the line extending out of Tracy's. It's not, exactly, a secret. We walked about 100 yards from Tracy's to Deckhand Dave's and had some awesome fish tacos.

Something just dawned on me, the two San Francisco R/Ts that I took had slightly different itineraries: one went to Skagway and one went to Icy Strait Point. I'd never been to Icy Strait Point, but I really enjoyed it. If you go there, give serious consideration to the Bear Search. It was awesome.

I'll let someone else give you some ideas.

We booked our first Alaskan cruise on Princess cruise lines for August 2018. 7 days at sea and 3 days on land. Has anyone else been on a similar cruise? We appreciate any comments, advice and recommendations.

You may need to get a little more specific as to questions. My one tip for Alaskan cruisers is LAYERS. No matter the time of year, weather can be variable so you need to be prepared for all types.

This sounds like the roundtrip itinerary out of San Francisco on the Grand Princess.

Very much doubt that, as a 7 day with a land extension generally is either north or south bound to or from Vancouver. The 10 day from SF is closed loop so you cannot add Alaskan land touring to it. Let’s see what the OP says.

Very much doubt that, as a 7 day with a land extension generally is either north or south bound to or from Vancouver. The 10 day from SF is closed loop so you cannot add Alaskan land touring to it. Let’s see what the OP says.

You are right, DR, I completely misread his post.

To the OP, my bad. Ignore the part about Alfredos, and, probably, Icy Strait Point. The other parts should be good, though.

You would get more advice by going to the Alaska board under Ports of Call. You can also look at trip reports there so you can see what others did on similar cruises.

3 days on land sounds short. Distances are large in Alaska. It takes around 8 or more hours to get from Seward or Whittier to Denali (the driving time is less than that, but the bus stops periodically for a break). A 3 day tour probably has only one night in Denali so you don't have a full day there to go deep into the park. You have one late afternoon / evening and one morning / early afternoon.

It is best to have at least 2 nights in Denali.

A great cruise. We've done it twice. The one thing I would suggest as a "don't miss." is the Alfredo's pizza parlor on Deck 6. This is a no charge sit down restaurant that offers a very relaxing dining experience. The minus is that the only menu items are pizzas. However, you can bring a salad from the International Cafe which is also on Deck 5.

Do you drink wine? Do you like to drink your own wine? Princess allows each adult to carry on one 750 ml bottle of wine. You may drink that bottle at your leisure in your cabin. If you would like to have that bottle with your dinner in the dining room or in one of the specialty restaurants, you can do so and you will be charged a $15 corkage charge. Actually, you can bring as much wine as you want. The excess beyond the "free" bottle(s) are subject to an immediate $15/per bottle corkage charge at the pier, but you can take those bottles to any venue and enjoy them with no additional fee.

Do you like crab? Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau is a regular with many cruisers. On our last cruise we were discouraged by the line extending out of Tracy's. It's not, exactly, a secret. We walked about 100 yards from Tracy's to Deckhand Dave's and had some awesome fish tacos.

Something just dawned on me, the two San Francisco R/Ts that I took had slightly different itineraries: one went to Skagway and one went to Icy Strait Point. I'd never been to Icy Strait Point, but I really enjoyed it. If you go there, give serious consideration to the Bear Search. It was awesome.

I'll let someone else give you some ideas.

Thanks XBGuy! We appreciate the restaurant suggestions, info on bringing wine, and amazing sites to see.

You may need to get a little more specific as to questions. My one tip for Alaskan cruisers is LAYERS. No matter the time of year, weather can be variable so you need to be prepared for all types.

Thanks wheezedr! we were wondering what types of clothes and shoes to bring.

We did a Princess cruisetour that was a few days longer than yours, and we loved it. The land portion was spectacular, and they took really good care of us.

Thanks Sea Hag! We’re ready for an amazing trip and would love to be pampered.

You would get more advice by going to the Alaska board under Ports of Call. You can also look at trip reports there so you can see what others did on similar cruises.

3 days on land sounds short. Distances are large in Alaska. It takes around 8 or more hours to get from Seward or Whittier to Denali (the driving time is less than that, but the bus stops periodically for a break). A 3 day tour probably has only one night in Denali so you don't have a full day there to go deep into the park. You have one late afternoon / evening and one morning / early afternoon.

It is best to have at least 2 nights in Denali.

Thanks! We wanted 4 days on land but our travel agent said due to late booking, only 3 day was available :-(