Credit/Debit card required to complete Check-in on line

Mike D.

Just for grins this morning, I checked the vacation summary for an upcoming cruise on the Bliss. The last time I looked, the on line check-in was complete. But, this morning, it was only 80% done.

When I checked, a new requirement (at least for me) was added: The requirement to put in a credit/debit card (or cash) for on-board charges. I've always done this as I board the ship and my travel buddy does the same. But now, it appears, that the boarding docs won't print until the required info is provided.

I'm not complaining just noting the change and wondering if I've been singled out for "special" treatment.

Mike

I was wondering about setting up a credit card during the on line check in process. This is my first Norwegian cruise. When I sailed with Carnival last time, it was included in the on line check in. I just figured maybe Norwegian didn't do that. Maybe it pops up when you get to a certain number of days away from sailing? I would love to have all that kind of stuff done before the trip. I'll be anxious to know what we find out.

Karen

I was wondering about setting up a credit card during the on line check in process. This is my first Norwegian cruise. When I sailed with Carnival last time, it was included in the on line check in. I just figured maybe Norwegian didn't do that. Maybe it pops up when you get to a certain number of days away from sailing? I would love to have all that kind of stuff done before the trip. I'll be anxious to know what we find out.

Karen

Credit card setup on Norwegian is usually done during check-in at the terminal although a few people just recently, like the OP, are reporting a different process.

It's silly. Even if you designate a card during online check in, you still have to present and swipe the card at the counter. You save no time at all.

I talked to a NCL rep the other day about this, because I wanted to use my card on my daughter's room but it doesn't give me that option. He said for me to select the "cash" option and then change it when I get there. That way I could go ahead and print the online check in papers. Easy Peasy (I hope! ;-) )

It's silly. Even if you designate a card during online check in, you still have to present and swipe the card at the counter. You save no time at all.

No, with this new system and having your credit card one file there is no need to swipe it at check in just like what other cruise lines does.

True for some bookings and select ships ??? Not being done for the Escape and Gem sailing this month, 3 of the bookings made a while ago & completed, eDocs ready and nothing changed as we haven't sail yet. Made a last minute booking at 7 days, online checked in & eDocs ready at Day 6 - no requirement to provide/add credit/debit card to finish OLCI.

Have a new booking on the Escape this Fall but that's too far out for discussion purposes being 120+ days beyond and not inside the cancellation/penalty box, in case of changes, etc.

No, with this new system and having your credit card one file there is no need to swipe it at check in just like what other cruise lines does.

I do not believe that this is true, and either way, swiping the CC, does not slow things down. I have no intention of putting my CC information on a check in page. I have real concerns about NCL's security. If this appears on my sailings I will put cash and then change it at the pier at check in.

I do not believe that this is true, and either way, swiping the CC, does not slow things down. I have no intention of putting my CC information on a check in page. I have real concerns about NCL's security. If this appears on my sailings I will put cash and then change it at the pier at check in.

I totally agree with you! I indicated that I would be paying cash and will change it when I check in to a credit card! (y)

hmmm interesting as I was able to last week get my e docs for Bliss in 2 weeks and I did not check the use CC on file. Then again they just made changes to the intinerary and I can't make show reservations on line.

I think new ship has some issues unresolved for Bliss prior to Alaska.

You are so right ! Last year I signed in to our account and someone else’s information showed up- I mean the entire e-docs including passport number, date of birth , etc. It was not a similar name, reservation number or even the same cruise.

I called NCL and emailed the owner of the information. But the fact that I could see their home address along with all the other tidbits made me very spooked by the lack of security.

It stayed under my account for several days- I wonder who could see OUR info?

( and before anyone blasts me, I only looked through the document in effort to get contact info to notify the actual customer )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the NEW process. It was added to my “incomplete” checking for an upcoming cruise.