"smaller balcony" on Anthem

our online check in just opened up for our November cruise on the Anthem. We have a superior ocean view cabin with balcony. In brackets it says smaller balcony. Has anyone had or seen these cabins? How much smaller is the balcony compared to your average one? This is the first I've seen any mention of it being smaller. Thanks in advance!

Looking at the Anthem deck plans I'm seeing that all the D balconies except for the D1 and the accessible D's feature the "smaller" balcony, which means that the vast majority of the balconies on the ship are "smaller" with a very few having a slightly larger balcony (but not a giant balcony) due to an angle. The really larger balconies are categorized as D1 and they charge more money for them.

I wouldn't worry about it. You booked a guarantee and you are getting what almost everyone else in your category is getting.

you could have been assigned a DO balcony

I am looking at maybe booking an X GTY and am hesitant because with my luck I would get the 75% obstructed veiw

Edited by jonbgd

This is our first time doing a guarantee, I feel for the price we paid we still are getting good value. It was a fair amount more if we picked a cabin. Was just wondering if there was a drastic feel to the size difference. As long as both of us have a chair and a little leg room we will still be happy. It's still a smaller balcony on a cruise ship, life is good!

There's another thread on this subject. Smaller balcony seems to be showing up on many confirmations. I'm booked in cabin 10250 which has a larger balcony for category D and my confirmation also says smaller balcony

Yeah - this popped up in my cruise planner last week. Before it just said Superior blah blah Cabin 12***, now it has (smaller balcony) on it. Looks like it means our balcony will be 55 sq. feet not the 68 sq. feet. Not a huge difference to me - we too booked the Balcony GTY and got a D5;)

We get on when OP gets off so our check in isn't open yet:(

I'm thinking that on Anthem, a "smaller balcony" is really a regular size balcony (which I had on this class of ship - two D8's), and the "larger balcony" would be the D1's which you have to pay more money for. As far as I know, the D2-D8 balconies pretty much the same, and there aren't any that would be called "smaller".

We booked a guarantee and got a D0. It was 75% obstructed and over the smoking area, but we were able to move to anther D0 that was "only" 50% obstructed and in a better locatation. We were going to downgrade to a window or inside cabin, but it was only $50 cheaper, and we figured it was worth just staying with the D0. Still, we didn't care for it at all and wouldn't book the guarantee or a D0 again - we'd either spring for the D2-8 or get an inside/window.

We booked 4 balcony guarantees for the December 16 Anthem cruise at a crazy good price and ended up with D4s, 2 connecting, one room in between then two other balconies next to each other on deck 13. I was nervous about the "smaller balcony" thing on our reservations but feel much better now. We can live with occasional pool noise, but so glad to have not been assigned DOs. We were assigned our rooms within 30 minutes of booking!

Yeah - this popped up in my cruise planner last week. Before it just said Superior blah blah Cabin 12***, now it has (smaller balcony) on it. Looks like it means our balcony will be 55 sq. feet not the 68 sq. feet. Not a huge difference to me - we too booked the Balcony GTY and got a D5;)

We get on when OP gets off so our check in isn't open yet:(

We are on deck 12 too, it would be too funny if it was the same cabin!

• 4 weeks later...
There's another thread on this subject. Smaller balcony seems to be showing up on many confirmations. I'm booked in cabin 10250 which has a larger balcony for category D and my confirmation also says smaller balcony

I am booked in cabin 11250 (right above yours) and had the impression it was a larger balcony too. Let me know once you've sailed how it turns out to be!

I am booked in cabin 11250 (right above yours) and had the impression it was a larger balcony too. Let me know once you've sailed how it turns out to be!

I'm in 10250 in October. I'll let you know how it is.

It has to be some RCI computer glitch. My reservation now says "smaller balcony" as well even though I know it is a bigger balcony.

I'm in 10250 in October. I'll let you know how it is.

It has to be some RCI computer glitch. My reservation now says "smaller balcony" as well even though I know it is a bigger balcony.

Great! Thanks so much! I am sailing March 2017! Mine too says "smaller balcony", but I paid the same price as a standard balcony so I guess I can't be too upset if it is not any bigger than the standard, or in the words of RC "smaller". It just looked bigger than the others on the ship map so I thought I was maybe getting a good deal! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

our online check in just opened up for our November cruise on the Anthem. We have a superior ocean view cabin with balcony. In brackets it says smaller balcony. Has anyone had or seen these cabins? How much smaller is the balcony compared to your average one? This is the first I've seen any mention of it being smaller. Thanks in advance!

My info just showed that also and wasn't there before. I called c&a and they told me I have a regular size balcony

• 11 months later...

When we booked our cruise on Anthem we did D8. They had deluxe balcony cabins too - larger balcony but the rooms themselves were smaller. We booked the non-deluxe, cheaper and prefered a larger cabin over a larger balcony.