Carnival website pet peeve

cfr70

When browsing for cruises, they used to just list the itinerary of ports/sea days next to a little map showing the route. You could see everything, whole itinerary and route at one easy and quick glance. Now they show each itinerary day as this huge picture box that takes up half my screen with each port and dock times in teeny white letters over a big island picture.

Then to make matters worse, you have to scroll down to view each day of the sailing because each day is a different picture. It's highly annoying and forces me to open a 2nd tab so I can view the itinerary on a separate travel website that still shows everything at a glance.

Why on earth did Carnival think this was a good change?! It makes browsing for cruises more difficult and I hate it. I wish they would at least give the option to switch back to list view for itineraries but they don't. :(

I don't like their new lay out either.

Glad i'm not the only one. How they came to the conclusion that a gigantic, screen filling picture of each itinerary day is more efficient over.....

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

....is beyond my comprehension!

Carnival farmed out their web design overseas and there appears to be little or no oversight now by corporate. The answer to your question as to "why" is to save money by moving jobs overseas.

I wasn't aware of this. I thought the web design was made right here by their corporate offices. I can't imagine the cost savings of something like web design would be significant enough to farm it overseas. But I guess it must be.

And speaking of websites, am I the only one that keeps inadvertently going over the "Research" word above on THIS site while maneuvering, activating the drop down menu that covers the whole screen?! Is this a new thing because I never noticed it before.

WHY do these "web designers" purposely update sites only to make them frustrating and unpleasant to move around on?! :(

And speaking of websites, am I the only one that keeps inadvertently going over the "Research" word above on THIS site while maneuvering, activating the drop down menu that covers the whole screen?! Is this a new thing because I never noticed it before.

WHY do these "web designers" purposely update sites only to make them frustrating and unpleasant to move around on?! :(

You are not alone and this was done apparently under the guise of an improvement. It's a distraction to say the least. Please share your thoughts with the admin. I do and they are often responsive.

You are not alone and this was done apparently under the guise of an improvement. It's a distraction to say the least. Please share your thoughts with the admin. I do and they are often responsive.

Good advice and i'll do that. Another culprit of this "improvement" is Amazon. No matter what you do, that annoying drop down menu activates on their site too. I don't know who thought this was a good thing.

When I do a cruise search, I put in basic criteria into the 4 little white boxes....sometimes only 2, like date and Caribbean.

Then I get maybe 8 boxes, showing each ship, with a small circle underneath with the port stops. I can then choose eastern or western, whatever. Other times I use date and originating port like MIA or FLL in December and then get a sample of cruises to choose from with that same port of call circle in each box. If I don't like those, or want more choices, I hit the very bottom button (show more) or change my criteria a bit.

As far as the annoying top button "reasearch" here on CC, if I hover the mouse over it , the screen gets that menu, and as soon as I move the mouse off it, the drop down disappears.

Amazing 1st world problems!

When I do a cruise search, I put in basic criteria into the 4 little white boxes....sometimes only 2, like date and Caribbean.

Then I get maybe 8 boxes, showing each ship, with a small circle underneath with the port stops. I can then choose eastern or western, whatever. Other times I use date and originating port like MIA or FLL in December and then get a sample of cruises to choose from with that same port of call circle in each box. If I don't like those, or want more choices, I hit the very bottom button (show more) or change my criteria a bit.

As far as the annoying top button "reasearch" here on CC, if I hover the mouse over it , the screen gets that menu, and as soon as I move the mouse off it, the drop down disappears.

Amazing 1st world problems!

You apparently misunderstood my gripe. Which is that Carnival used to display the itinerary and port stops in list form, which in my opinion, is much easier to view and comprehend over diagrams, circles, and giant pictures.

And yes, the drop down menu disappears when moving the arrow off it, but the interference has already occurred which caused annoying disruption and distraction to navigating.

Also, by calling it "first world problems", you're implying the insignificance of it, yet you still took the time and effort to dedicate 3 paragraphs to it yourself! :)

You apparently misunderstood my gripe. Which is that Carnival used to display the itinerary and port stops in list form, which in my opinion, is much easier to view and comprehend over diagrams, circles, and giant pictures.

And yes, the drop down menu disappears when moving the arrow off it, but the interference has already occurred which caused annoying disruption and distraction to navigating.

Also, by calling it "first world problems", you're implying the insignificance of it, yet you still took the time and effort to dedicate 3 paragraphs to it yourself! :)

The circle shows the port stops, sorry if your mind doesn't recognize them. I was pointing it out to for others who might be reading this thread. So far, doesn't seem to be that many interested.

The circle shows the port stops, sorry if your mind doesn't recognize them. I was pointing it out to for others who might be reading this thread. So far, doesn't seem to be that many interested.

You apparently still don't understand even after I explained to you. I'm talking about list form of the itineraries along with the days and the times spent at each port, the way Carnival used to display them on their page.

EX:

Sunday- MIami

Monday: At Sea

Tuesday: St. Thomas 8am - 5pm etc etc etc.

In my opinion this display format is much more efficient and easier to read over pictures and diagrams with just the names of the port stops going around a little circle. Some people, like myself like to know how long the ship is in port which the cute little circle doesn't show.

You seem to disagree and that's fine. However, your little slam on my mind not recognizing the circles you described was uncalled for. I'm well aware of them and it's exactly what I was venting about.

I dislike the design too. I prefer the older search layout and style which Princess (part of CCL) still uses. You fill in your search criteria on one screen and you scroll through the results and you don't have to select items to view general cruise info. I think they would have better website performance if you can see all the general info and not select an item so your PC doesn't have to reach out to their server with each of your selections when you are just trying to view general info.

I dislike the design too. I prefer the older search layout and style which Princess (part of CCL) still uses. You fill in your search criteria on one screen and you scroll through the results and you don't have to select items to view general cruise info. I think they would have better website performance if you can see all the general info and not select an item so your PC doesn't have to reach out to their server with each of your selections when you are just trying to view general info.

Yes! I have't sailed Princess, but just went over to the site to have a look. The way they display cruise details is exactly how Carnival used to show it and it's so much easier to have all the information easy to see at a glance on the same screen like that. Even with the little route map on the side.

You can see the days and times in each port in a nice list with no huge pictures to scroll or little circles. I wish Carnival went back to this format again. It's just so much more convenient.

Carnival's new cruise-search layout is so lousy I go to a different site (think "vee tee gee") to browse for ships and itineraries...then I come back to Carnival.com to book it. I've found it's a lot easier to search for a specific port (say Amber Cove) on itineraries elsewhere than trying to use Carnival's site.

You are not alone and this was done apparently under the guise of an improvement. It's a distraction to say the least.

I've found that it can be more than just a distraction: accidentally mousing over "Research" also pops the page back to the top sometimes, as well as displaying the annoying pop-up menu. Truly annoying when you're reading halfway down a long thread.

Please share your thoughts with the admin. I do and they are often responsive.

Ummm, how? I didn't see a link to share website feedback, nor could I find the "test forum" or an admin feedback forum as part of the Boards.

Ummm, how? I didn't see a link to share website feedback, nor could I find the "test forum" or an admin feedback forum as part of the Boards.

Read the second announcement here on the top of the main Carnival page of this forum. It explains the changes and it says you can leave comments there.

You apparently still don't understand even after I explained to you. I'm talking about list form of the itineraries along with the days and the times spent at each port, the way Carnival used to display them on their page.

EX:

Sunday- MIami

Monday: At Sea

Tuesday: St. Thomas 8am - 5pm etc etc etc.

In my opinion this display format is much more efficient and easier to read over pictures and diagrams with just the names of the port stops going around a little circle. Some people, like myself like to know how long the ship is in port which the cute little circle doesn't show.

You seem to disagree and that's fine. However, your little slam on my mind not recognizing the circles you described was uncalled for. I'm well aware of them and it's exactly what I was venting about.

It's well known that people learn and understand similar concepts differently. You are more comfortable with your list, I can understand the circle. I am not slammimg you although we disagree.

It's well known that people learn and understand similar concepts differently. You are more comfortable with your list, I can understand the circle. I am not slammimg you although we disagree.

Yet another insult on my intelligence. What you're implying by the bold statement above is that I don't understand the very same thing that you're looking at, which you do understand. Wow. Nowhere did I ever state that I didn't "understand" the concept of the circle. My gripe is that the circle you seem to love so much gives less information than the list format.

How can you glean which days of the particular sailing the ship visits the ports on by looking at the circle? How can you glean what times of the day the ship is docked in the port by looking at the circle? You can't for either query because the circle doesn't give that information...because it's just a circle with port stops in it and nothing more.

I'm sure you'll come back with another little dig at my mental capacity for lack of "understanding" but I will not respond. I suspect you're being argumentative just for the sake of it.

I have yet to even pull up that fare viewer. I always get a error message, and quit trying. I too look at another site first to see what it says the price is, though its often wrong.

the night i decided to book, i could see a price, and the guy i was talking to couldnt find the price i could book online at. I had decided to wait and book the next day with my Carnival agent, but the guy said he could only get to the price by signing into my acct, not as a agent. We knew the rate was there but he couldnt get to it and book it for me. lol. just if he pretended to be me and got into my acct?? very odd.

The site obviously has a few issues.