Solo/Single Cruiser

daynejule

I have taken many cruises as a couple but now I want to cruise as a single/solo. My main thing is I do not want to share a cabin but I do want to eat with others. I'm running into discussions of being put off by myself or set up with just one other person. I love the discussion and social life of being at a table of 6. Any information I can get?

Free-style has a reputation for being very singles-unfriendly, typically families and groups who don't want to share with a single.

However, those NCL ships with a solo lounge are well-regarded, there's usually a meeting at 5 PM for those who want to dine together.

Note there is much discussion on the Special Interest- Solo board.

Edited by Dancer Bob

As a solo cruiser for quite a while now, I enjoy Anytime Dining (almost all cruise lines offer some variation) and asking to be seated at a large table.

Be aware, though, that on NCL, UNLESS you go to meet up at the singles lounge and go to dinner together, there are not that many people who want to share. Seems like on the solo cruisers board that is one of the complaints I read the most.

Other lines seem to still have more people willing to share tables. I personally don't care if I'm seated with other solos or with couples or families. I'm only looking for dinner table conversation, not a buddy for the trip!

Another option is to pick a fixed dining time (not on NCL but on other lines) and ask to be put at a table for 6 or possibly 8.

I have cruised solo my last three cruises on RC and had a good time. I prefer traditional dining and have been seated at a large table (my request when booking). It has worked out very well. Seated not just with couples, but had two sisters, two singles, family with two adult children, on different cruises. I also eat breakfast and lunch in MDR, if open, and again no problems asking for a large table to share.

Lots of single activities, depending on your age and interests.

Biggest drawback to cruising solo is the price, as most cabins are priced based on double occupancy. There are single cabins, but not many, and sometimes more expensive.

You didn't say what itinerary, price or cruise line you are considering, which could make a big difference.

I prefer fixed seating at a large table. I don't like the anytime concept because I don't want to do all the introductions every night with a group of strangers who I might never see again on the cruise. I like to get to know the same people over the course of the cruise.

You might want to try pricing out a Silversea cruise. Most mainstream lines charge solos 100% supplement so, with grats and drinks, it comes out pretty expensive.

Silversea has many cruises with only a 25% supplement (some with only 10%) and grats and drinks are included. You get so much else for your money that I think Silversea offers good value for the price for solos.

And the main reason I suggest you look at it is that they are very, very good at looking after their solos. It is so easy to meet the other solos and dine with them if you wish; it is also very easy to meet non-solo travelers and you will often be invited to dine with them too. Dining is open seating and if you turn up at the MDR on your own, the Maitre d' will be happy to seat you with others on a larger table - in my experience most Silversea pax enjoy meeting new people, solo or not.

Cruising solo for the first time in 18 days on NCL. I was able to book a balcony with all 5 extra perks with no solo supplement charge. I Have met many solos on my Roll Call and we're planning on making dinner arrangements together. Places like the Japanese steakhouse seat many at a table. It's a jumping off point.

Good Luck.

I have taken many cruises as a couple but now I want to cruise as a single/solo. My main thing is I do not want to share a cabin but I do want to eat with others. I'm running into discussions of being put off by myself or set up with just one other person. I love the discussion and social life of being at a table of 6. Any information I can get?

The issues you mentioned and many others are discussed in some detail at the Solo Cruisers board at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 .