Bayside Marketplace Miami

SweetPea0517

Does anyone know if Bayside Marketplace suffered from hurricane damage? We were thinking of spending time there the day before our cruise.

It looked like Tradewinds Bar & Grill would be a good place to hang out to eat, drink & watch the activities. Or if you have a better suggestion on where to eat. Would appreciate any feedback!

Edited by SweetPea0517

Miami and up the east coast really saw minimal damage. You see occasional houses that lost some shingles but no 'entire roof' rip off IME (I compare to Andrew where I lived in South Miami ... near Metro Zoo.) Lots of branches down but no total house wipe outs that I'm aware of.

The real problem was the evacuation and return. Don't get me wrong, the need to evacuate based on the projected track was 100% and I applaud all that did bug out. I was among them. But the trip out was brutal and the trip back worse!!!! Fuel shortages, food shortages and hours and hours of traffic moving 20 mph from Georgia to wherever ......

I only hope the experience does not make someone not bug out for the next 'big one' ...... false alarms can build false security and that can be dangerous ....

Miami and up the east coast really saw minimal damage. You see occasional houses that lost some shingles but no 'entire roof' rip off IME (I compare to Andrew where I lived in South Miami ... near Metro Zoo.) Lots of branches down but no total house wipe outs that I'm aware of.

The real problem was the evacuation and return. Don't get me wrong, the need to evacuate based on the projected track was 100% and I applaud all that did bug out. I was among them. But the trip out was brutal and the trip back worse!!!! Fuel shortages, food shortages and hours and hours of traffic moving 20 mph from Georgia to wherever ......

I only hope the experience does not make someone not bug out for the next 'big one' ...... false alarms can build false security and that can be dangerous ....

Correct, what was unprecedented was the evac, the issue is hurricane evacuations are never meant to have people go hundreds or even a thousand miles away. Unless you live in the Keys evacuations are meant to keep people away from water, not winds.

Miami, besides for a few hotels and buildings here and there is 100% fine and was pretty much completely back to normal about 10-days after the storm.

Bayside is a nice place to hang out and enjoy the views and drinks. I would suggest other places to eat though. Downtown Miami and Brickell have much much better options for dining. If you want to be close to Bayside I highly recommend Pollo Y Jarras and then walk over to Bayside for a drink.

Wish they would fix all the remaining cracked windows here along Brickell Ave. The backorder on the hurricane impact glass is crazy! They all have to be cut to order and weigh about 1000 pounds each pane for our building. Yes, we still have 220 cracked windows just in my building! Watch just when it all gets fixed it's hurricane season again!

I can still see one building with a blue tarp on it along South Miami. And the SLS Hotel still is missing the "LS" at the top facing east that got torn away.

The Ritz Carlton in South Beach still isn't opened again!

Besides that, you would never know that a hurricane came though the area. And Bayside was back to normal so quickly.

Bayside is a nice place to hang out and enjoy the views and drinks. I would suggest other places to eat though. Downtown Miami and Brickell have much much better options for dining..

Couldn't agree more!

I am checking out the websites for Largo & Pollo Y Jarras. I appreciate the suggestions on the restaurants, it is hard to figure out where to go when there is so many to chose from!

I like to have some general ideas on which way to head & some of our options so we are not wasting time there.

Thanks for everyone’s input & information!

Largo has a 3.5 rating on tripadvisor. So its probably a decent place, especially for Bayside. Pollo y Jarras has a 4.5 rating. As someone who lives five blocks from Bayside I can tell you I have been to Bayside about maybe eight times in the 3 years I have lived in Downtown. Pollo Y Jarras probably over 25 times. There are lots of other options too. I am not exactly sure what time they open though for lunch.

You could grab a drink at Bayside and then head to Pollo Y Jarras before going to picking your luggage and heading to the port. Walking around museum park and down to Bayfront is nice. If you want something for breakfast I suggest Café Bastille or B Bistro + Bakery. If you want to see something more local and a newer place check out Brickell City Centre.

A mix of Bayside place something local is not bad though, and Bayside may have the most options open to grab a drink before 11:00am.

Largo has a 3.5 rating on tripadvisor. So its probably a decent place, especially for Bayside. Pollo y Jarras has a 4.5 rating. As someone who lives five blocks from Bayside I can tell you I have been to Bayside about maybe eight times in the 3 years I have lived in Downtown. Pollo Y Jarras probably over 25 times. There are lots of other options too. I am not exactly sure what time they open though for lunch.

You could grab a drink at Bayside and then head to Pollo Y Jarras before going to picking your luggage and heading to the port. Walking around museum park and down to Bayfront is nice. If you want something for breakfast I suggest Café Bastille or B Bistro + Bakery. If you want to see something more local and a newer place check out Brickell City Centre.

A mix of Bayside place something local is not bad though, and Bayside may have the most options open to grab a drink before 11:00am.

We are planning on going to Bayside the day before we set sail. We will probably get to Bayside between 2-3 on a Friday afternoon.

We are not dead set on going to Bayside it was what I found that looked like a fun outdoor atmosphere. I am open to other recommendations, we like outdoor preferably waterside for drinks & food to spend the afternoon. South Beach is too far from where we are staying.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok having doubts of our plan for our pre-cruise day in Miami. Our hotel was switched to La Quinta West Airport so that puts us further away from Bayside. We are not renting a car.

Is there a better option than going to Bayside for outdoor atmosphere for eating & having a few drinks?

Is taking a taxi or Uber from the hotel to Bayside be much more than a 20 minute ride? When I map it that is about what it shows. We really don’t want to pay $50 each way in addition to what we pay at the restaurant.

Any input would be appreciated!

Ok having doubts of our plan for our pre-cruise day in Miami. Our hotel was switched to La Quinta West Airport so that puts us further away from Bayside. We are not renting a car.

Is there a better option than going to Bayside for outdoor atmosphere for eating & having a few drinks?

Is taking a taxi or Uber from the hotel to Bayside be much more than a 20 minute ride? When I map it that is about what it shows. We really don’t want to pay $50 each way in addition to what we pay at the restaurant.

Any input would be appreciated!

I am not a big fan of Bayside to get dinner as the dinning options are far superior outside of Bayside. Bayside a tourist market with chain restaurants. So if you want better food options I would check out options in Downtown and Brickell or Miami Beach and you can enjoy Lincoln Road.

Bayside is an easier on-stop shop though, but you are already in Downtown in Bayside so you could eat in Downtown/Brickell and still go to Bayside and get around walking or using the free metromover.

As for just advice on Bayside. Yes, the drive should not be bad, especially on a weekend or later in the evening. Around 25-mins seems about right. But it depends on time of day and if there are any events in Downtown. Probably a bit more on a weekday. I would think an Uber would be around $25.00. I see you said South Beach is too far, it would probably be another 10-mins driving and $10.00 Uber. Bayside and South Beach are about 3-4 miles apart.

There are no other options closer to your hotel. Its out west by the Airport in a very local area. There certainly no water front spots. The only two other spots closer are Dolphin Mall or Doral City Center. Doral City Center is not that large and is mostly just places to eat and nothing more. Dolphin Mall is a large outlet mall.

Stick with your plan of going to Bayside, but if you have lots of time check out all of Downtown Miami/Brickell its all walkable and easily seen/getting around using the Metromover, which is free.

I would again suggest Miami Beach too, its not that much farther.

You seem to have much of the day as you said you are going there at 2-3pm. I can't imagine spending the afternoon and evening just in Bayside. Feel free to get around Downtown Miami/Brickell area too, especially for dinner. Bayside is in Downtown.

• 7 months later...