Five day to Canada

Jeffrey1950

Okay, so I admit it...I am hooked on the Queen Mary 2. After 12 great days on board last November and then 13 this year I am about to book the five day also in July. Well, seriously considering it, However, my one concern is I kind of have the impression that it is almost a totally different atmosphere on this particular cruise, can someone tell me from experience if this is true. Also is it one or two formal nights ?

My general impression is that shorter cruises have a younger demographic and that cruises in school holidays have a younger demographic. Moreover, some short cruises in holidays have a vibrant and lubricated "party feel", although I suspect that applies less to Cunard than, say, Carnival!

According to a 2017 dress code document I have downloaded, last year's voyage had one formal night and four informal nights scheduled. Unfortunately, the current dress code schedule available online doesn't go out as far as July to confirm what is planned for this year's voyage yet.

Regards, John

I've been on this cruise. It's in most senses a regular Cunard voyage. One exception was that there was only one sea day day to and from Canada, for two total. On the return, evidently everyone realized that it was the last chance to experience a Cunard Afternoon Tea. When the doors opened, it was a scrum (it looked like video when they open Wal-Mart on Black Friday).

Two formal nights, a production show or two, guest speakers. Recommended.

Having taken this 5-day sail three times, I'm done with it. It's not the typical QM2 experience due to the brevity of the trip and the mostly American "red card" passengers. It's a much younger demographic and these are people looking for a different kind of vacation and one that doesn't involve a lot of time off from work. They're just not into the Cunard ocean liner ethos.

If you want to fit in a QM2 fix but don't have a lot of vacation time, and you don't have to fly to NY, then that may work for you. But personally I'd rather spend my money on a TA.

I went once - my experience was that it was a bunch of people from Philly who decided to go "up market". I would apologize to those from Philly but they have foisted the Eagles on us..so we are even.

The oddest thing was that the British Pub was decorated in red, white & blue with American flags...in fact the whole ship was. :'):o That cracked me up. So did watching the Nathan's hot dog eating contest on the TV in the Golden Lion.

BUT I would go again in a heart beat because - it is the QM2 and I love her and it did not affect my enjoyment. And it was a blast to be in Boston on the 4th - great fireworks! But it was not a typical QM2 voyage. No matter - I will take her any time, any itinerary.

We have done this Independence Day Cruise several times both on the QM2 and the QE2 for the convenience of it living close to NYC.

Yes , a different crowd indeed . Many trying to sample a Cunard experience. Short r/t cruises , no matter what cruise line , attract a different type cruiser .

I always am amazed at Cunard celebrating our US Independence so well .

Those fireworks in Boston are far distance from the top decks of the QM2.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 4th of July cruise load is hardly is a crossing crowd. Nor even the leisurely cruise crowd. Being one of the hardly-ever NY to NY short voyages, leaving NY and back within days, easy to get on and off, there's a big attraction for the partying young and the NY local bridge and tunnel crowd. Being the 4th of July, the mood is very celebratory, if not "let's rock." "A Party Cruise." Cunard does its best with what it has to work with, get 'em on, get 'em off. but … for those unwilling to pay Grill prices on long voyages, it is a good time to go Grill. And for locals just liking Cunard, it's a quick 'n easy way to get on for a few days. I've done five, before giving up. The clincher was not too long ago, locked doors into the Queens Room for Tea caused quite a crowd, which literally ran into the room. Through the one open door. RAN! I went through a door to the side, got to a preferred table by a rail fronting a portside window. As waiters were serving, across on the level down one man actually stood up and banged on a plate with a spoon to get a waiter to come to his table, and come NOW! Too, usually there is only one black-tie evening. Bummer for those wanting a more formal ship experience. To "sample" the ship, or see it again, there can be better ways. On the other hand it it's a case of being on or not at all, well go on the 4th and just put up with the atmosphere you get.

This was also sold as part of a 12 day cruise from Southampton. We were hoping that the majority of the ship coming over on the TA would stay on so there wouldn’t be a large contingency of “short cruise” people getting on in NY and all that implies. Sounds like we may have been wrong. :(

This was also sold as part of a 12 day cruise from Southampton. We were hoping that the majority of the ship coming over on the TA would stay on so there wouldn’t be a large contingency of “short cruise” people getting on in NY and all that implies. Sounds like we may have been wrong. :(

Historially almost the entire ship changes over before and after the 5-day NY-NY sailing. If memory serves, in 2014, upon return to New York from Canada and Boston only 190 passengers were staying on for the return to Southampton. Many passengers from your side of the pond use this schedule to visit New York for 5 days and be able travel B2B.

With so few passengers remaining on the ship it certainly affects what tours Cunard will offer while berthed in New York.

Historially almost the entire ship changes over before and after the 5-day NY-NY sailing. If memory serves, in 2014, upon return to New York from Canada and Boston only 190 passengers were staying on for the return to Southampton. Many passengers from your side of the pond use this schedule to visit New York for 5 days and be able travel B2B.

With so few passengers remaining on the ship it certainly affects what tours Cunard will offer while berthed in New York.

That makes perfect sense.

My wife and took I the 5-day QM2 Canada cruise a few years ago. It was a completely different experience than the dozen or so other Cunard cruises we've taken. The service was sluggish, if not almost slovenly (we were in QG). The ship looked downright shabby. The entire crew seemed to have an attitude like --"they're American, they don't know the difference." They had no World Club events (too short a cruise for a cocktail party?). In Boston, there was a more than 2-hour-long immigration check on-board. In Halifax, the Cunard excursion was so bad and so poorly executed that we abandoned it halfway through. I could continue listing the problems . . .

I complained to Cunard afterwards; it took them months to respond, and when they did it was on Christmas Eve. About the shabbiness of the ship, the Cunard guy said that it was going into refit soon. I countered that, since Cunard knew it would be a substandard experience, why didn't they reduce the fares? No answer. But my biggest concern was that we had a 14-night Baltic cruise booked for the following summer, and I wanted a guarantee that Cunard Line hadn't declined beyond recognition. He said it hadn't.

The happy ending to all this is that the Baltic cruise was amazing, and we've since been on Cunard 2 more times (Mediterranean cruises), and they've been perfect. We have another cruise booked for May. So maybe my bad experience was a fluke, but I wouldn't rush to book a short cruise out of New York again.

Also, I didn't pay attention to the OP's screen name. If HaveDogWillTravel really takes their dog along on their travels the kennels are available only for transatlantic crossings. Cunard has veterinerary permits for the US, England, and Germany but not Canada or any other country.

Also, I didn't pay attention to the OP's screen name. If HaveDogWillTravel really takes their dog along on their travels the kennels are available only for transatlantic crossings. Cunard has veterinerary permits for the US, England, and Germany but not Canada or any other country.

My screen name was chosen when we were doing land based trips with the pups (75 pounds and 105 pounds so pretty big pups;)) We don't take them on planes or boats. But thank you for the information.

I am glad I found this thread. We ended up deciding to get off in NYC July 1st and drive up the coast to spend the week in Provincetown Cape Cod. One of my favorite beach weeks and we haven't done it for 6 years.

Trying to talk hubby into a quick July 4 trip but then thought better of it. We are used to doing b2b & enjoy the whole Cunard experience. Every year I consider this trip cause we live in ny but always change my mind. Think it's too short & hubby gets frustrated with all the red cards.

Sent from my iPad using Forums