Icy Strait: Chichagof Island hike or Spasski River Valley?

Michelle H

Hey guys, I'm looking at shore excursions on the Royal Caribbean Radiance for August, and for Icy Strait Point, I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the Spasski River Valley, Wildlife & Bear Search vs the Chichagof Island Wilderness Hike? I just want a fun, casual hike and to see some stuff. The Spasski one seems less of a hike though, it says you only walk like 800 yards which is less than 1/2 mile, so didn't know how cool of an excursion it was.

Also I'm doing this one myself, husband and son want to do the zipline, so not sure if one is better than the other for a solo person.

• 1 year later...

Do you know which local company offers the wilderness hike? And the spasski river tour & bear search?

I see hoonah travel adventures giving a wilderness and brown bear search.

Also did the guide on the wilderness hike also carry a rifle like on the spasski river tour & bear search?

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old, but if Michele H is still active here or anyone else can answer, I'm wondering if the Wilderness Hike takes you to the river.   Or must you go on the Spasski River Valley Bear Search to visit that area?    I am trying to make a decision between these two excursions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 10:55 AM, Michelle H said:

Hey guys, I'm looking at shore excursions on the Royal Caribbean Radiance for August, and for Icy Strait Point, I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on the Spasski River Valley, Wildlife & Bear Search vs the Chichagof Island Wilderness Hike? I just want a fun, casual hike and to see some stuff. The Spasski one seems less of a hike though, it says you only walk like 800 yards which is less than 1/2 mile, so didn't know how cool of an excursion it was.

Also I'm doing this one myself, husband and son want to do the zipline, so not sure if one is better than the other for a solo person.

We did a combination Spasski River bear search and then a whale watch. Getting to the river is an adventure. You walk through the woods on a small trail, then you walk along a boardwalk type trail to the river. All the time looking for bears. Both were great. We saw some, not many bears in the river and lounging around. After a little bit they all went back into the woods and never returned. The wale watch was spectacular. Our watch took us to the mouth of Glacier Bay where we saw lots of whales. One pod put on a bubble feeding show. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 1:59 PM, skrufy said:

Both were great. We saw some, not many bears in the river and lounging around. After a little bit they all went back into the woods and never returned. The wale watch was spectacular.

What month of the year did you do this excursion?