Advice for Mom's First Cruise

smbyers

I have been on one cruise before, but I would like to take my brother and my mom on their first cruise. I would like to get a balcony or maybe even a suite and I'm looking at Carnival. I am looking for 3 different beds. I do not mind a sleeping on the sofa which usually can be used as a bed. I'm curious if anyone has experience traveling with 3 people and if there's enough room for each to have a bed in a balcony and/or suite room.

Also, my mom has a hard time walking long distances. I remember on the one cruise I was on (Carnival Dream), the walks were pretty long to get to dinner, the pool, etc. Any others have experience traveling with someone who has mobility issues?

Thanks

Have never sailed Carnival, so can't answer that question. For your mother, rent an ECV (scooter ). There are rental agencies that rent these just for cruisers. But you have to be careful about the size, if you'll be in a regular stateroom, as some won't fit thru the doorways, unless you have a handicapped accessible cabin.

Otherwise, get a cabin midship, so she won't have to trek from one end of the ship to the other too often.

You will have to book a cabin that sleeps 3. If you are all adults be sure your cabin has a sofa bed. The main bed (queen or king) will separate into 2 twins. If it is not set up that way when you arrive just ask your cabin steward to make the twins,

I know you will have wonderful time with your family on your cruise.

I have been on one cruise before, but I would like to take my brother and my mom on their first cruise. I would like to get a balcony or maybe even a suite and I'm looking at Carnival. I am looking for 3 different beds. I do not mind a sleeping on the sofa which usually can be used as a bed. I'm curious if anyone has experience traveling with 3 people and if there's enough room for each to have a bed in a balcony and/or suite room.

Have not cruised on Carnival, but on all four of the lines I have cruised on, there are standard balcony cabins that sleep up to 4. You can ask to have the twin beds either combined or separated, the sofa converts into a bed and if you needed a fourth, there is a bunk over the sofa that folds down.

So the question is not if you can each have a bed, but rather will the space in general be sufficient for 3 adults.

Also, my mom has a hard time walking long distances. I remember on the one cruise I was on (Carnival Dream), the walks were pretty long to get to dinner, the pool, etc. Any others have experience traveling with someone who has mobility issues?

Problem is that the facilities your Mom would probably be interested in on most ships are at both ends of the ship - restaurants at the stern, theater & spa at the bow and covered pools adjacent to the spa.

Many people with mobility issues thus either bring their own or rent electric scooters to get around on the ship and at ports of call. If you think this is a serious option for your mom, then you might also try to book an accessible cabin - probably for the same fare - with more room to accommodate wheelchairs or scooters. This would also help with the sufficient space for 3 issue.

Thanks

Finally, if the cruise is primarily for your mom, and she is older, you might wish to consider other cruise lines with older demographics - such as Holland America or Celebrity.

Have a wonderful cruise experience.

Certainly, there are cabins that sleep 3. Some have a sofa bed...some have a bunk/pullman. If you're good with sleeping on that, then go for it!

The "main bed" is 2 twins...they can be separated, so mom and bro can have their own space. Just look at the deck plans and see what sort of bedding is in each cabin. There is a "legend" on the deck plans that tells what kind of bedding is in each cabin.

Thanks

As you have already decided to cruise Carnival, you might get better answers by posting on the Carnival board. Not sure if it is itinerary and or ship that you are definite on, but you might want to compare ships/cruiselines, especially if you decide to go with a suite.

Cabins usually have a king-sized bed which cab be split and made up as two twins. The third person could use a sofa sleeper or Pullman, depending on the type of cabin you book. It has to be designated for three or more passengers. Deck plans will identify.

Renting a scooter or wheelchair might be helpful for your mother.

Three people in a cabin is doable, but you will have very little privacy, especially as far as the bathroom is concerned.