Sailing Past Head Light Lighthouse?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:07 AM.
#1
Fl
989 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Does anyone know if cruise ships sail past the Head Light Lighthouse when pulling into or out off Portland. I think it would be a different picture of it from sea instead of land. If not, maybe some of the other lighthouses in the area?

If it makes a difference, we’ll be arriving from Boston and leaving heading to Bar Harbor.

Thanks

Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#2
Maine
13,332 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Yes, this is one of the things I recommend all the time, as opposed to getting on a bus or taxi for the 20 minute ride to Fort Williams Park to see the Head Light. About 45 minutes prior to docking time (and you can ask real nice at guest services the night before if they could call the bridge and confirm) would be best to be on deck, on port side. The ship sails close by the Head and you get a totally different perspective from most stock photos. You can also likely see Rams Ledge light on the other side of the ship (starboard), which is a stone lighthouse from 1905 built on a tiny ledge of rock, with a rickety pier as access. Going out you'll sail close by, but it may be dusk or dark by then. You can also see Spring Point Light and Bug Point Light (Portland Breakwater Light) on the port side as you enter the harbor itself, both are very short, unimpressive lighthouses.
#4
Fl
989 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Great, thanks for the responses. We actually have an aft cabin so I hope to get some great photos.

Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#5
100 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by Dcoy
Great, thanks for the responses. We actually have an aft cabin so I hope to get some great photos.

Don
We also have an aft cabin for our 9/16 cruise on the Serenade. Hoping to get some great shots, probably still in my jammies. 😏
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
9/2018. RCI Serenade: Canada/New England
12/2013. HAL Westerdam Eastern Caribbean
4/2007. RCI Serenade Panama Canal
7/2006. RCI Empress Bermuda
6/2004. RCI Voyager Western Caribbean
8/1998. RCI Rhapsody Alaska
#6
Maine
13,332 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
In my opinion, the best shots would be when the ship is almost abreast of the light, and you may not get as good a shot with the ship going away, if trying from an aft balcony. Even going to a forward observation area, will give better shots (with Cushing Island, South Portland, and the Portland skyline in the background) than from an aft looking back towards the light and just ocean in the background.
#7
Fl
989 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by chengkp75
In my opinion, the best shots would be when the ship is almost abreast of the light, and you may not get as good a shot with the ship going away, if trying from an aft balcony. Even going to a forward observation area, will give better shots (with Cushing Island, South Portland, and the Portland skyline in the background) than from an aft looking back towards the light and just ocean in the background.
Thanks for the info. I may forward and my wife can stay on the balcony. We can cover the opertunity at both angles.

Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#8
Fl
989 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Tillie43
We also have an aft cabin for our 9/16 cruise on the Serenade. Hoping to get some great shots, probably still in my jammies. 😏
We’re on the Serenade 9/17 next year. Let us know how your photos turn out.

Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature