Hop on Hop off buses

dorsetlad

We have done several of these tours whilst on a cruise and find them a good way to have a look at the port of call, and gain some historical facts. It is then quite easy to decide the parts you would really like to see, and hop off there.

We are considering using them on our forthcoming cruise in Athens and Malta. Any feedback from cruisers who have done either of these would be appreciated. I notice the Athens one includes a guided walking tour near the Parthenon. Sounds good, and at only 20€ per person for each of the ports, is good value.

Brian

If you've never been to Valletta then walking around is the best way to see the city. It's a small city, easily walkable from one end to the other in an hour even allowing time to window-shop :)

You'll also be able to set your own schedule - e.g. see the firing of the Saluting Battery at midday from the terrace, and then go for lunch afterwards at one of the many excellent cafes and restaurants nearby...

VP

We did hop on hop off in Malta on our first visit there though for the last visits we have stayed in Valletta

From memory there are two routes - one covering the north of the island and the other the south - we did plan to do both but didn't really have time

I enjoyed the tour that we did - we saw a lot of the interior of Malta and some lovely little towns like Mosta and Mdina. Lots of places to hop off.

Unfortunately it goes along the coast of the bit of Malta I hate - all the modern hotels and resorts but I suppose it has to do that to pick up passengers there and I guess some people like going there (just not me!)

Should also say that it didn't spend any time in Valletta itself - but that is very walkable and there is a noddy train

Edited by gadabout60

We did hop on hop off in Malta on our first visit there though for the last visits we have stayed in Valletta

From memory there are two routes - one covering the north of the island and the other the south - we did plan to do both but didn't really have time

I enjoyed the tour that we did - we saw a lot of the interior of Malta and some lovely little towns like Mosta and Mdina. Lots of places to hop off.

Unfortunately it goes along the coast of the bit of Malta I hate - all the modern hotels and resorts but I suppose it has to do that to pick up passengers there and I guess some people like going there (just not me!)

Should also say that it didn't spend any time in Valletta itself - but that is very walkable and there is a noddy train

Our visit to Malta is the middle Saturday on a 2 week fly cruise, so we arrive early morning and don't sail again until late evening, so we have around 12 hours on the island. That will give us plenty of time to do the bus tour, and also explore Valletta. We will probably do the south tour which goes to a pretty fishing village on the south coast, and the Blue Grotto. In the time we have, we should be able to spend a couple of hours at each of those places, and still get back to Valetta to explore, or even do the noddy train.

Brian

Hols4

Went on the hop on hop off bus last year from Valletta. Decided to get of at Mdina which

was nice but on trying to catch the bus straight back to the ship was told nearly all the buses go right round the coast which takes about 3 hours,so was told to wait at Mdina and a bus direct to the cruise terminal would be 10 mins. We had to wait nearly an hour and a half before a direct one came along. The drivers were unhelpful and rude to us when we asked the time of the bus we needed. So be careful if you get off somewhere!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hols4

Went on the hop on hop off bus last year from Valletta. Decided to get of at Mdina which

was nice but on trying to catch the bus straight back to the ship was told nearly all the buses go right round the coast which takes about 3 hours,so was told to wait at Mdina and a bus direct to the cruise terminal would be 10 mins. We had to wait nearly an hour and a half before a direct one came along. The drivers were unhelpful and rude to us when we asked the time of the bus we needed. So be careful if you get off somewhere!

I've downloaded the brochures for both the ports, and the timetables seem quite clear, and the map certainly gives the impression that they are round trips, and I could see no option to go out to a particular stop and then return to the ship. We had already envisaged completing the circuit when we had visited the places we fancied. As you say ,just be careful, and if all else fails, read the instructions.

Brian

Hols4

It didn't take 3 hours when we did it - can't remember how long but nothing like that.

It didn't take 3 hours when we did it - can't remember how long but nothing like that.

According to the brochure, the north route (which is the one that stops at Mdina), takes 3.5 hours for the full round trip. The south route which we intend to do is much shorter, around 2 hours.

Brian

Our visit to Malta is the middle Saturday on a 2 week fly cruise, so we arrive early morning and don't sail again until late evening, so we have around 12 hours on the island. That will give us plenty of time to do the bus tour, and also explore Valletta. We will probably do the south tour which goes to a pretty fishing village on the south coast, and the Blue Grotto. In the time we have, we should be able to spend a couple of hours at each of those places, and still get back to Valetta to explore, or even do the noddy train.

Brian

The fishing village is probably Marsaxlokk, lots of very good fish restaurants, pretty boats and usually a quayside market selling Maltese lace, embroidered goods and other crafts. The Blue Grotto is lovely, but please be aware that if the sea is choppy/there is a big swell the boats may not go out. They are just little boats with outboard motors and the cliffs/rocks around the grotto are scary. We did this trip when we were staying on the island, our boat did go out in rough conditions but struggled and it got quite hairy. Boats that set off after us were equipping their passengers with life jackets - not for us! It was an adrenaline-filled trip - I have an enduring memory of my little boy sitting in the prow and laughing his head off as the waves came up and drenched him!

• 2 weeks later...

We were last in Malta in 2013 for 2 weeks land holiday and did all 3 hoho routes. One to Gozo, north and the south. As part of the ticket then there was a cruise on the valletta harbour free on presentation of the hoho ticket.

We are going again later this year both for a 3 week trip and again a few weeks later as part of a cruise. My recent research doesn't advertise the free cruise on the harbour. I agree re the blue grotto, it can be very rough. I do enjoy the old town of Mdina and there is a palace that has a lovely afternoon tea at a very reasonable price. Its the only old palace in Mdina and also has an art gallery area. Love Valletta and the upper baraccka sp? gardens.

We have done several of these tours whilst on a cruise and find them a good way to have a look at the port of call, and gain some historical facts. It is then quite easy to decide the parts you would really like to see, and hop off there.

We are considering using them on our forthcoming cruise in Athens and Malta. Any feedback from cruisers who have done either of these would be appreciated. I notice the Athens one includes a guided walking tour near the Parthenon. Sounds good, and at only 20€ per person for each of the ports, is good value.

Brian

We did the HOHO bus in Athens last year.

Can't remember the price off hand but I booked it in advance, there were 3 different one waiting in the car park as we got off.

We used the Red one.

it does 2 circuits the 1st stops at the bottom of the Acropolis where you can either go up to the top. Or you can do as we did and go in side the Museum. It's free but you need a ticket just get one from the desk. There are clean toilets there and a café on the 3rd floor I think that if you go out on the balcony you get a nice view at the Acropolis.

Then come out and head for the bus stop you can then either return on the same bus or take the second bus and do the other circuit.

Well worth doing both if you have the time.

MIL and FIL or going there on there cruise in June and I am trying to persuade them to do both.

Re driving in Malta

DON"T DO IT!!!!!

We hired a car once and never since. The Maltese are as bad if not worse than Italian divers, they don't drive on the left or the right, they drive all over the roads and the roads are generally in bad condition with lots of pot holes.

We have relatives in Malta (DH is Maltese origion) and they told us not to drive. When we did have the hire car we ended up leaving it at the accommodation and took the bus everywhere.

Malta is essentially a barren rock, you would be better to just walk around Valetta. The HoHo bus was very disappointing, crowded with quite a few people standing without seats on the top deck. No one got off at any stop with us, as there was little to see (South Circuit). I would avoid and stick to walking, it's a lot safer.

Good to know about hiring a car

Jody - not sure I agree with you - i thought the north tour was very interesting with some lovely little towns

I do like mooching about Valletta though

Malta is barren and rocky but there are many nice fishing villages to walk through, Mdina which is beautiful and the beach resorts in the north have nice promenades to walk around. Valetta is a beautiful city and a scenic sailaway. When we went, they were doing discount price on the hop and off tours for around £10 per person