Escape vs Epic: Which is better?

Jj343434jj

Epic is the only ship we have ever been on that had natural light in the toilet and shower areas. LOVED that.

There are plenty of ships with natural light in the bathroom and an actual bathroom door...including Epic.

So smart in design and function.

The idea is sound (no pun) but the execution is poor. The translucent doors allow light, sound, and odor to get through.

There's a reason why they immediately abandoned the idea on future ships.

If I may add an additional query to the original poster :

Which ship has a better spa atmosphere / adult pool area ?

I've been on 5 different NCL ships at this point and to me, the best Spa has been Epic and Escape. Epic edges out as the best of the best because of the private aft deck in the spa. I loved just lounging on the day beds out there. Escape has more "rooms" to experience and a ton more heated stone loungers though.

To second the vote, we believe the Epic has the better entertainment, but the Escape is better laid out to maximize the expanse for wandering throughout the ship as well as the non-European style bathrooms. When I left the Epic, I think I hit every floor and nook, including the "secret" stairwells. On the Escape, the week was up before I realized I had not been able to accomplish the same amount of wandering---and it was not because of the occasional crowds on the pool deck.

If you have no kids or young kids, try the Epic if the itinerary is suitable, but older kids will prefer the Escape and will not care about difference in entertainment. Enjoy.

I can't really compare cabins as we had a balcony on the Escape and an inside on the Epic, but I don't find the Epic bathroom a problem when travelling with my husband. I can see how it would be an issue with friends. For those who say the 'bathroom smells' are an issue, I have one word for you: VIPoo. The essential travel item for any hotel room or ship cabin ;)

I like both ships but the pool deck on the Epic is better in terms of layout. I really didn't like how you had to walk through the buffet on the Escape when trying to navigate the pool deck from the aft stairs. I like the additional option of the Chinese restaurant on the Epic but Food Republic on the Escape is great- although not free like the Chinese. On the Escape there are many more windows and views of the sea. Ropes course on Escape vs climbing wall on the Epic- I think ropes course wins. We loved both shows on the Epic (Burn the Floor and Priscilla), we didn't like After Midnight on the Escape but loved For the Record.

So... I like both ships. But if I had to choose it would probably be the Epic.

There are plenty of ships with natural light in the bathroom and an actual bathroom door...including Epic.

Staterooms with natural light are the higher category rooms. I have never had a standard balcony cabin with natural light pouring into the bathroom. With the door closed, it is really dark in there.

I've been on 5 different NCL ships at this point and to me, the best Spa has been Epic and Escape. Epic edges out as the best of the best because of the private aft deck in the spa. I loved just lounging on the day beds out there. Escape has more "rooms" to experience and a ton more heated stone loungers though.

Agree....the Epic spa (fee based) is the most wonderful glorious spa I have ever seen in all of my 40 cruises. It beats out all the mega ships on all the other mass market cruise lines. The only mass market line I haven't been on is Disney.

The Waterfront is probably my favorite feature on any ship I’ve experienced... so for now BA and BA+ (Escape) class ships reign supreme.

Add in one of the best beer menus at sea with the DBH, and the Escape and soon-to-be Bliss rise to the top.

I've been on both. I agree that in general the Escape wins. The big, really big, exception is if you are a Haven guest. The Epic wins over and over for so many reasons.

Mainly for me the Posh, Haven sundeck which has it's own bar, nice seating and plenty of space. The sundeck on the Haven Escape is horrible, it's an after thought squeezed into a corner of an upper sundeck. There isn't nearly enough seating, it turns into a chair hog situation, I'd say there are probably only 25 lodge chairs for 200 plus Haven guests! There is no bar up there and waiting for servers to go 2 floors down is a long wait. This tiny area is shared with the only smoking area in the Haven. It is divided by a glass partition but it's tiny so, smoke is everywhere. The Escape packs more people into the Haven and the courtyard is glass enclosed. The glass enclosed thing sounds good but it really isn't. The huge amount of glass and metal makes the whole area very echo'y. One or two kids and the noise just bounces all over the Haven. By design, the courtyard is really loud. Then the sundeck situation sucks.

The Escape Haven doesn't compare at all with the Epic Haven.

Cruised on both, and liked both. We preferred the Escape (which we have booked for the 3rd time), but we would do either again.

Epic has a better pool deck. It is very open. You can lay in one spot and see both pools, the bar, the outdoor dining, the band, and the ends of the slides. Escape is very closed off and chopped up.

Epic has a better Spice H2O adult area. It has a pool whereas Escape's only has a water feature (albeit a cool one.) Epic also has a mini buffet out there and Escape doesn't.

Escape has better restaurants and bars. We love The District Brewhouse, Food Republic, and 5 O'Clock Somewhere bar. None of these are on Epic.

Escape has the ropes course which is a blast. There just seemed like there was more to do than on Epic.

The Waterfront is probably my favorite feature on any ship I’ve experienced... so for now BA and BA+ (Escape) class ships reign supreme.

Add in one of the best beer menus at sea with the DBH, and the Escape and soon-to-be Bliss rise to the top.

The waterfront on the newest ships really is cool. If Epic had a waterfront I might not sail on anything else because to me there is a lot to like about Epic.

Joe