Bayamo on Escape

taylortime05

Specialty dining on NCL is an extra cost. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I know this. I bought the 4 dinner package. I was looking for people that have eaten at Bayou to see if they think it is worth an extra 15.00 up charge. I know it is subjective but just looking for some feedback. Thanks

If you're not sure you want to spend $15, think about spending $7 at Pincho Tapas Bar, which is absolutely amazing! All the small plates you want for the $7 if you're using one of your SDP credits. My favorite food on the Escape!

Hi,

I've purchased the 4 specialty dining package on Escape Nov 25th. I'm trying to decide if Bayamo is worth the extra 15 up charge. Have you eaten there and is it worth the up charge?

We're going the second week in October. I'll post our impressions. My DSIL and DBIL have instituted a ban on food photos, though. A written description will have to suffice. ;)

If it helps, we liked the menu enough to make it one of our must visit specialty restaurants.

It was my favorite meal, on any cruise. I had the fish and friend had the wagyu sirloin; both were exceptional.

I was sorry I didn't go there my first Escape cruise and waited to try it on my last night of my second cruise.

It was definitely worth it!

Hi,

I've purchased the 4 specialty dining package on Escape Nov 25th. I'm trying to decide if Bayamo is worth the extra 15 up charge. Have you eaten there and is it worth the up charge?

Why would anyone pay fifteen dollars for a specialty restaurant in addition to having paid for a dining package. That is crazy!
Some people received the dining package as a promo and only paid the 18% on the package.

Some people received the dining package as a promo and didn't even have to pay the 18%.

In either case, it isn't "crazy" to pay $15 to try a higher end restaurant. If using OBC, there's no reason to NOT go to Bayamo.

Just as another poster said, it was my favorite meal I've had on a cruise. First time, we didn't have a dining package. Next cruise, I have the dining package free and am I'm planning to pay the upcharge to dine at Bayamo again.

So, I would say yes, but "worth it" is subjective.

Why would anyone pay fifteen dollars for a specialty restaurant in addition to having paid for a dining package. That is crazy!

Why would anyone pay to eat at Ruth's Chris when Outback Steakhouse is so much cheaper? Why would anyone buy a BMW when a Honda will also get you where you need to go? Why would anyone sail in a balcony when an inside gets you on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find paying the upcharge from our SDP a great use of my OBC. We don't need it for shore excursions. We have the UBP. I'm happy to use my OBC to enjoy Bayamo and Food Republic.

Food is subjective. I loved Bayamo and will be reserving it again as soon as the reservations open for our December Escape. I definitely thought it was worth the $15 above the dining package/promo. My mom is 88 and not an adventurous diner and it wasn't her favorite meal. Her swordfish was dry and upon seeing it, they immediately offered to take it away but mom declined. I thought the appetizers were wonderful -- we tried 2 each and shared. I had the waygu beef -excellent! And we ordered one dessert to share and they brought us three.

Pincho looked wonderful but the amount of salt in many of the temptations forced me to skip that option. It will be hard to pass up again this cruise.

We are lucky to live close to Jose Garces' east coast restaurants but if his land restaurants aren't an option for you - this is a great way to try his food. Also, it will never be as affordable

Enjoy your cruise!

Any sense of how difficult it was to get a reservation at reasonable times (I.e., not 5pm or 9:30pm) at Bayamo? Not 100% sure I want to go but am wondering if it would be a problem to wait until I'm on board to decide.

If you make your reservation on day 1, you should be fine. Bayamo isn't as popular as it should be...probably because of the dress code and upcharge.

I knew there was an upcharge but wasn't aware of a dress code. I need to check it out.

On Escape, Bayamo and Le Bistro are "Smart Casual". All other restaurants (including the Haven restaurant) are "Cruise Casual". The actual dailies for Escape are slightly different from what is below (from NCL website). On Escape, shorts are fine in all MDR and other restaurants. (Shoes and shirt must be worn)

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.