Handicapped room

juliet

Has anyone been in one of the handicapped staterooms on the Royal Princess? My husband sometimes needs his wheelchair and sometimes can walk. We're thinking of either getting a handicapped balcony room or a mini suite.

Any help would be appreciated. Is the mini suite worth the money?

Has anyone been in one of the handicapped staterooms on the Royal Princess? My husband sometimes needs his wheelchair and sometimes can walk. We're thinking of either getting a handicapped balcony room or a mini suite.

Any help would be appreciated. Is the mini suite worth the money?

Handicapped room has a much better set up to accommodate maneuverability. In my opinion, much better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Handicapped rooms have roll-in showers for those who need them. The doors are wider in order to accommodate a wheelchair. There is also a fold-down ramp to get onto the balcony although we have found them to be quite stiff to operate. My son is a disabled vet who must use a wheelchair at all times (broke his neck in the Army) so we have seen the inside cabins he books and we were once automagically upgraded to a Caribe deck HC balcony on Crown when nobody had booked the cabin. We found a week or so before we sailed. We were upgraded from an inside to the HC balcony. Loved the room but would obviously have given it up in a heartbeat if someone actually needed it.

Thank you for your reply. God bless your son and please thank him for his service.

Handicapped rooms have roll-in showers for those who need them. The doors are wider in order to accommodate a wheelchair. There is also a fold-down ramp to get onto the balcony although we have found them to be quite stiff to operate. My son is a disabled vet who must use a wheelchair at all times (broke his neck in the Army) so we have seen the inside cabins he books and we were once automagically upgraded to a Caribe deck HC balcony on Crown when nobody had booked the cabin. We found a week or so before we sailed. We were upgraded from an inside to the HC balcony. Loved the room but would obviously have given it up in a heartbeat if someone actually needed it.

Had a handicapped club class mini suite on the Regal. My husband broke both his legs and shoulder and we needed the room and the bathroom.It was fabulous and huge. Wheel in shower and ramped to the balcony. The cabin was close to the mid elevators. The closet had a lowered rack so he could actually get in and pick out his clothes. The room was convenient to everything.

The accessible cabins offer 3 main advantages for passengers with mobility issues. The entrance door is wider to allow most wheelchairs through. The main room space is larger in order for a wheelchair to turn around without hitting anything and the bathroom is larger with no step-up.

If someone has disabilities that don't require these benefits, then they don't really need an accessible cabin.

If you need a wheelchair in your stateroom and/or to enter or leave your stateroom, then you probably need an accessible stateroom. Other staterooms may not have enough room to maneuver the wheelchair in the room, and the doors may not be wide enough for the wheelchair.

If you need a wheelchair to travel long distances but you can walk around the room and in and out of the room, then you may not need an accessible stateroom. It really depends on the specific person.

If you don't need an accessible stateroom, you may still have problems with a non-accessible mini-suite. Accessible staterooms have walk-in showers. Non-accessible interior, exterior, and balcony staterooms have (small) walk-in showers. Non-accessible mini-suites have a shower in tub. Full suites generally have separate tubs and walk-in showers, but there are some exceptions - you should check the details for the specific ship and suite.

DW has mobility problems with her knees but does not need a wheelchair. We do not need an accessible stateroom. However, she has problems stepping over the side of a tub into a shower in tub - she definitely needs a walk-in shower. The worst shower she had was a full suite on the Ocean Princess - it did not have a separate shower and the sides of the tub were very high. She could not take a shower in that suite unless we were in port and I was there to help her. We have learned only to book staterooms with a walk-in shower - no non-accessible mini-suites.

Using a shower in a tub is no more difficult than getting in or out of bed. Put a towel down on the edge of the tub, sit down, turn, put 1 leg into tub, put other leg into tub.

However, it is a different matter if the tub does not have the shower in it, but is only a tub.

Why do you think the tub would have water in it?

Yes, I have done this same maneuver myself as I have arthritis and difficulty in walking, standing, and bending my knees. On a ship there is always something to hold onto in the shower. It would be unsafe for anyone if not.