Wahine disaster -50 years ago today

There are many ceremonies being undertaken today across the city. It is ironic that the weather here in the capital is wet, cold and very windy. Fitting I guess for a 50 year commemoration

There are many ceremonies being undertaken today across the city. It is ironic that the weather here in the capital is wet, cold and very windy. Fitting I guess for a 50 year commemoration

In other words just like it was on that day. I remember very scary winds which took a power line down outside our metal gate. I had to jump over the concrete wall to get into the house.

My Father was a police recruit doing his training in Wellington at the time of the Wahine Tragedy. All the police cadets were called in to help with the incident. Years later he said the event had a profound effect on him, the biggest being retrieving people from the water who had lashed themselves to debris and they had nothing to cut them loose, some unfortunately perished. From that day on he always carried a pocket knife, unless he was travelling overseas. When he passed away 16 years ago I made sure he had a Swiss Army knife in his pocket at his funeral.

Sad day in NZ maritime history