Silversea Explorer Nome to Seward August 13-25, 2018-live

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:02 AM.
Tulsa OK
8,444 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Stumblefoot
Very cool! Is there a lot of polar cod in those seas that are attracting so many walrus?
The walrus eat clams, and they love to hang out in this location because it is relatively shallow water with. Lots of clams. We saw the shells all over on the beach.

Will try to post more pics today. Internet kept giving me a failure signal yesterday.
Tulsa OK
8,444 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by lkbside
Great write up Rachel. Sounds like everything is going well - lucky you to have seen those bears.

That's interesting that you had so many mosquitos at the hot springs landing - we didn't have any there, or really anywhere thankfully.

If there is a mosquito anywhere, it will find me. There were millions, but fortunately my skin was mostly covered by clothing so no bites. One guy had a really cool mosquito jacket and hood. Lots of people had mosquito netting over their heads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2,067 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by RachelG
The walrus eat clams, and they love to hang out in this location because it is relatively shallow water with. Lots of clams. We saw the shells all over on the beach.

Will try to post more pics today. Internet kept giving me a failure signal yesterday.
Thanks for the explanation Rachel! I didn't think about the water being shallow. Completely makes sense now.

BTW... loving your pics! I especially like the one with George and the three dancing girls where the brunette was looking at him while you caught George laughing. It was so cute! Would have loved to been a fly on the wall to see what you said to capture him laughing like that.
Tulsa OK
8,444 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Stumblefoot
Thanks for the explanation Rachel! I didn't think about the water being shallow. Completely makes sense now.

BTW... loving your pics! I especially like the one with George and the three dancing girls where the brunette was looking at him while you caught George laughing. It was so cute! Would have loved to been a fly on the wall to see what you said to capture him laughing like that.
I think I told him something like “ snuggle up with the girls so I can get a good picture”.
2,067 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by RachelG
I think I told him something like “ snuggle up with the girls so I can get a good picture”.
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usa
3,483 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
On our trip we did bring mosquito netting hats which also had insect repellant in them. My DH chided me for buying such items, as he felt they looked ridiculous but later he was happy to don it, they were worth every penny. The mosquitoes swarm all over you as you said! Hope you don't get bitten.
Sunshine Coast -Australia
2,652 Posts
Joined May 2011
Wow.great experiences captured with wonderful pictures.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alexandr Pushkin- 1988 - 3 day Bicentennial Tall Ships Cruise
SIKUMI - August 2006 - 8 day Inside Passage Alaska
ATHALA II - 2008 - 8 day Galapagos cruise
ORION - July 2009 - Broome to Darwin
SILVER EXPLORER (PA II) - August 2010 - Arctic
ORION - December 2010 Antarctica- Mawsons Hut
SILVER SHADOW - May 2011 - Incheon to Anchorage
SILVER WIND-July 2012-Black Sea
SILVER CLOUD -November 2012 Bridgetown-Amazon-Bridgetown
SILVER EXPLORER-March 2013.Capetown-Accra.
SILVER EXPLORER-September 2014.Sapporo-Lautoka
ORCAELLA-December 2014.Mandalay-Bagan
SILVER CLOUD- June 2015. Copenhagen-Archangel-Copenhagen
SILVER EXPLORER - September 2015 Nassau- Cuba-Guayaquil 24 days B2B
CALEDONIAN SKY April 2016 Japan Cherry Blossom Cruise 13 days.
SILVER WHISPER August 2016 Stockholm/SPB/Copenhagen/Southampton B2B 18 days

*** FUTURE CRUISES ***

SILVER MUSE 2/2/2019 Sydney to Auckland

Tulsa OK
8,444 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Daveywavey70
Would I be ok in my beekeeping suit do you think?
That would work well. George has one, just a little too bulky to pack.
Tulsa OK
8,444 Posts
Joined May 2006
August 17, 2018–Cape Kuyveveem, Chukotka Peninsula, Russia

After another totally smooth night of sailing, we awoke to a bright sunny day. With practically no wind and temps in the 40s, it was perfect for zodiac cruising. We went out in 2 groups. Since we were second, we had time for a leisurely breakfast, then I got some steps in on the hamster track while George worked out in the gym.

At 9:30, it was our turn to board the zodiacs to explore the granite and basalt cliffs that are prime nesting areas for all kinds of birds. I am not a big bird person, but I do know what puffins are and there were thousands nesting on the cliffs. There were also cormorants, harlequin ducks (in the water), a bunch of different gulls, kittiwakes. Very noisy with lots of flight going on.

There were several sea caves, plus a big rock arch that we were able to explore. This is only possible if the sea is fairly calm, so we were lucky.

After an hour and a half on the water, we headed back to the ship. The afternoon included a couple of lectures about marine mammals and Russian history as we sailed back to Provideniya to clear Russian customs on our way back to the US.

Just as we arrived at Provideniya, a dense fog bank started rolling it. It definitely makes me appreciate modern navigational equipment. You could barely see from one side of the bay to the other.

The captain’s welcome is tonight, a bit later in the cruise than usual as we have just been so busy. It is one of my favorite menus, and I have already decided what I am having—the little egg rolls, the artichoke appetizer, and venison. We are to dine with the expedition program coordinator, so i am sure George will be putting in a word for long hikes. Then we have to have face to face inspection with the Russian officials again after dinner, strange time for a customs inspection.
Tulsa OK
8,444 Posts
Joined May 2006
Turns out they were able to do the Russian inspection before dinner. And my venison was as yummy as I anticipated.

Here are a couple of zodiac pics from yesterday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Albany, NY
5,404 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Beautiful scenery, and weather!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017 (review)

Future bookings - come join us!
Silver Wind - #2828, Copenhagen to Tower Bridge - Sept 2018
Silver Cloud Expedition - #1918, Reykjavik to Reykjavik - August 2019
Silver Cloud Expedition - #1001, Ushuaia RT with South Georgia - January 2020

Past: All trip pictures are now in my SmugMug galleries, HERE
Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)
River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09