New to cruising - Holland America East or West Caribbean Cruise?

Hi, I am thinking of booking our first cruise! I have seen two cruises the new HAL Statendam. I like the idea of a new ship as I work in hospitality myself and you get rather fussy!

My question is, there are two 7 night cruises, one in Jan which is Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, San Juan, St Thomas and Half Moon Cay) and one in Feb which is Western Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, Ocho Rios, George Town, and Cozumel). We are unsure which to go to.

I expect both are great! We like culture and history, beaches with snorkelling, and would be a bit nervous of ports with lots of pan handlers etc. Any advice gratefully received. Also, any views on the new ship, no reviews available yet as it hasn't sailed!

ON the western, only Jamaica will have the "panhandlers"... HMC is the private beach, so it's just like being on the ship. GC is the richest island in the Caribbean...no "panhandlers" and Coz....if you aren't shopping, you won't be bothered.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have gone ahead and booked the Eastern Caribbean on Holland America on the new Statendam, based on dates as much as anything! Very excited! First cruise, so there's a lot to take in - excursions, dining times, etc, but all in all very pleased we have taken the plunge. Thanks again for the advice :)

I would also have suggested the eastern itinerary. And if you are like the rest of us, this will only be one cruise of many. Being waited on at every turn is addicting and I would like to thank people like you who make our vacations enjoyable.