Homesickness while on World Cruise

Go-Bucks!

As I've been planning for my world cruise, I've been thinking about how long I'll be gone from family, home and familiar routines. I'm very excited to be making this bucket list voyage, but am wondering if anyone has had some homesickness set in after awhile. I'm very independent so I don't think it will be a problem for me, but am curious what experienced world cruisers have felt.

Only honest and truthful answers, please, from those who have actually taken a world cruise. ;)

I loved my first world cruise so much that I would have stayed on for another 118 days when it was over.:D;)

I did follow a blog of someone who got homesick. That person is a CC member and hopefully will come by here and tell their own story.

The good news is that there are lots of ways to stay in contact with family while away.

We use Face Time to video with our children and grand children and make use of e-mails and also telephone calls not on video.

We bring with us photos of the family and hang the photos on the wall.

We love to see our family and know we will at the conclusion of the World Cruise.

We have also had some family members join us for a segment of the World Cruise or another voyage right before or right after the world cruise.

Keith

We've just returned from a 46 night cruise. I wasn't homesick, but I was aware of beginning to feel institutionalised. The other problem was the accursed electronic communications and financial protections. I had made arrangements with my Bank for my absence and was assured there would be no problem after my security device died the day before the cruise ... After over 1.5 hours on the phone, the problem was resolved and I was assured that I would be able to access my account ...

In the Caribbean, in 30 degree + temperatures with a flaky internet connection 'Please enter a code from your security device ...' No access to Bank account for the rest of the cruise! But when I got home, I had THREE new security devices! 'If you can't spell 'Banker', viewers, just write 'Moron' - we'll know what you mean' (as Hughie Green might have said on 'Opportunity Knocks').

Thx for all the answers. I'm sure there'll be so many new adventures that will keep me busy and excited. I definitely won't be homesick for my bed, though - my mattress is awful and I loved the luxurious Oceania bed on my Cuba cruise last week!! :hearteyes:

I definitely won't be homesick for my bed, though - my mattress is awful and I loved the luxurious Oceania bed on my Cuba cruise last week!! :hearteyes:

And the fact that someone else changes your sheets, washes them, and makes your bed doesn't hurt either!;);p:D

While so many of us enjoy being away for such along time in all seriousness for some it does not work.

My wife and I met someone a few years ago who after 30 days went home. It just wasn't for her.

Most people who we know who do take these long world cruises love it though.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have a strong "less is more" philosophy, so all we have to do is lock our Condo door and leave. (We have no children, no pets, not even house plants anymore). What family we have is spread all over the US and we only see each other every few years -- so no problem there.

I'm sure we will have very few "missing home" problems on our 87 day adventure, however, having said that, we come from a New Mexico culture that eats red and green chile dishes about 70% of the time. No chile based meals on Cunard, so that will be a huge challenge. I'm trying to find sauces, or condiments I can bring along to lessen the withdrawal (it is an addiction around here -- think endorphin rush);p

I'm sure we will get through this!

Enjoy!

Kel

• 3 months later...

My husband and I did the full world cruise on the QM2 in 2016 We were never really homesick since we love being on a ship and adore sea days I know we missed our daughter but since she lives in NYC and we live near Washington DC we don;t see her that often anyway

• 4 weeks later...

We travel for 6 or 7 months every year, either in our RV or cruise ship. No regrets, as we try to find the time to Skype every week. Yes, on a cruise ship it is challenging, but just watch the crew if in a new port - they always know where to find free wifi.