ms Noordam in Juneau July 13, 2017

Scrapnana

Noordam will make an early arrival at 0800 to the CT dock. She is scheduled to leave at 1800.

Also in port are Norwegian Sun (0700-1315) at the AJ dock, Infinity (0730-2000) at the AS dock, and Crystal Serenity (0900-2200) at the FKL dock.

There is a 90% chance of rain with morning rain turning into cloudy with showers in the afternoon. High will be 60F/16C and low will be 53F/12C. Sunrise will be at 4:11 am and sunset at 9:54 pm.

The PTZtv webcam can be found at http://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/ .

I can't quite figure out what they are doing - Sun keeps asking for more room [i'm guessing to swing around] but as far as I can see - she's not in the harbor yet. Noordam is way out in the middle - kind of lined up with the CT dock - but not moving laterally towards it.

I can finally see Sun's funnel and she is approaching and has an earlier docking time [7am]. Copper - if you see this - does that make a difference in harbor ettiquette?

Perhaps waiting for Infinity. I don't think they would care about NCL at the distant dock but they seem to usually dock at AS before CT.

Not quite sure why they would be so early. Possibly a medical emergency that might have been offloaded via the pilot boat.

Roy

Perhaps waiting for Infinity. I don't think they would care about NCL at the distant dock but they seem to usually dock at AS before CT.

Not quite sure why they would be so early. Possibly a medical emergency that might have been offloaded via the pilot boat.

Roy

Maybe they are waiting for Infinity, there's no reason not to move now.

Maybe the early arrival is just trying to be ahead of the fog or for extra time if it was thicker than usual.

All of this is just guessing - but she is here in port - so that is one less potential problem averted.

Roy

Morning all; your last statement would make the most sense Roy as to why she's here three hours early - still pure speculation on my part. It wouldn't necessarily be via pilot boat since the vast majority of SE Alaska pilots are already on board and actually stay with the ship for several days and I've never seen a pilot boat in Juneau. But it could have been via Coast Guard boat or, even via Allen Marine boat if she, in fact, had a medical disembark on board who required immediate advanced care at a shore-side facility

Maybe they are waiting for Infinity, there's no reason not to move now.

Maybe the early arrival is just trying to be ahead of the fog or for extra time if it was thicker than usual.

All of this is just guessing - but she is here in port - so that is one less potential problem averted.

Since Infinity has Alaska Steamship dock, it would be easier for her to move in there while CT behind her is unoccupied by Noordam.

Since Infinity has Alaska Steamship dock, it would be easier for her to move in there while CT behind her is unoccupied by Noordam.

I would think especially since Infinity is coming in Starboard to rather than turning around.

Line gun?

Roy

Copper - I asked a question in #8 about harbor ettiquette between arriving cruise ships and their assigned arrival times.

That was a line gun shot from Infinity

Arriving traffic, by scheduled time and dock location, has priority. Other ships need to give way to them

That was a line gun shot from Infinity

Arriving traffic, by scheduled time and dock location, has priority. Other ships need to give way to them

So, even though there was a lot of polite talk between Noordam and Sun pilots, because Noordam was much too early, she was always going to give way to the earlier scheduled ship. Same with Infinity - even without the docking location being thrown in also.

Thanks for the info.

So, even though there was a lot of polite talk between Noordam and Sun pilots, because Noordam was much too early, she was always going to give way to the earlier scheduled ship. Same with Infinity - even without the docking location being thrown in also.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, 'cause otherwise, you would have seen her alongside CT dock already although she would have had to pay O.T. to the linehandlers

Yes, 'cause otherwise, you would have seen her alongside CT dock already although she would have to pay O.T. to the linehandlers

Another good reason.

Capt Albert had mentioned in his blog that all cruise ships at one Alaska port arrived together - when the port officially opened and they didn't have to pay the line crews OT. It was something about if early you got the stevedores and OT payments. So all the ships wait.

Another good reason.

Capt Albert had mentioned in his blog that all cruise ships at one Alaska port arrived together - when the port officially opened and they didn't have to pay the line crews OT. It was something about if early you got the stevedores and OT payments. So all the ships wait.

Isn't Captain 'Appie' on Noordam right now?