Live from Regatta June 12-19, 2018--Vancouver to Seattle family cruise

RachelG

Final thoughts

This was our 3rd Oceania Cruises, and my favorite thus far. We had great weather and interesting ports with good excursions and lots of wild life, but I am now used to the Oceania way of doing things. I would definitely sail again given the right itinerary, particularly if traveling with family.

Our group had everything from inside cabin to penthouse suite, and I could detect no difference in level of service with any. We chose the penthouse suite after learning our lesson on a previous cruise, trying to save money. My husband and I both work from the ship. He needs desk space. So we know to choose the more expensive suite.

The food is delicious, mostly all the same menu as on Regent, so we are good there. I still don’t like that Terrace is not self serve. It is really annoying to try to get my salad made right when I can’t do it myself. And since the buffets are self serve on Regent and Silversea, the excuse that it is for hygiene reasons just doesn’t fly. I don’t think Oceania customers have more germs than on the other two cruise lines.

The grand dining room food has gotten much better, IMO, and we really like lunch there.

Now that I have figured out the prestige drinks package is the way to go, I am ok there. I have noticed the pours are more generous for those with the prestige package, probably to save the server from having to refill so often.

The entertainment this time was very good, to outstanding. Really enjoyed the shows.

Excursions are very expensive in Alaska, whether ship excursions or private. I looked at both options for each port. Not a whole lot of difference, and I was able to get a private fishing trip for my husband and son for the same as a group trip with the ship would have been. Note that salmon fishing in Alaska and Canada is catch and release only this year.

Kids—there were a lot, but they were great kids, very polite, dressed nicely for dinner, didn’t make excessive noise.

There were a whole lot of inappropriately dressed people at dinner in the GDR though. Jeans, shorts, T-shirt’s that I might wear to mow the lawn. But I just tried to ignore them.

Internet was fast, a massive improvement over our First Oceania cruise, where I wrote on the comment card that if they didn’t improve things, I would never cruise with them again. I doubt my comment alone made a difference, but suspect that mine plus everyone else’s did, plus technology improves.

Crew was uniformly outstanding. We had one slow meal in GDR, but that was an outlier.

The included laundry thing is not that great. They did not do a good job pressing my husband’s shirts at all. I would probably only use for underwear, socks, jeans and workout clothes in the future. The laundry slip for included laundry is different from the regular laundry slip, so maybe there are two levels of service. We have included laundry on Regent and Silversea, and on those, the laundry slip is the same.

Bed was so comfortable I wish I could have taken it home. Bath towels are nice and thick, and amenities in bathroom are Bulgari for the suites. You do have to actually ask for more shampoo though.

That is all I can think of for now, but will be happy to answer any questions.

Perhaps if you were to be on a cruise where Noro raised it's ugly head you'd be more appreciative of the no-self-service policy in Terrace.

Most of us regulars are pleased that it is there. But I do understand where you are coming from! If you've never had a problem, then you assume (perhaps?) that there never will be one?

In recent years, that hasn't always been the case.

You mentioned wanting to make your own salad ... normally I would agree, but I can't say I've had a problem. I tell the server what I want in my salad, and that is what I get. If I want more of an item, or dressing, I ask for it. No problem.

Mura

Oceania has always had this no self service policy as far as I know, but still has Noro. Don’t really think it has decreased the incidence at all. My question is, if it is such a health risk, why does Regent (owned by the same company) allow self service? And why does Oceania allow self service a Waves if it is so risky? Not consistent at all.

Rachel, have you ever seen people pick up a roll (or anything else) and toss it back? Do you know if that person exercised proper hygiene after using the facilities? Many do not! Even on Oceania.

For me, it's not a problem to let the servers prepare my plate. If it is for you ... well, you have other options.

I do find it surprising that a sister line doesn't have the same procedures, though.

I'm not trying to start a war! Just to make some comments -- and I will bow out now.

Mura

Not trying to start a war either. Just stating that the inconsistent no self service rules make no difference in Noro incidence as far as I can tell. And yes, I have seen people pick up rolls and put them back down etc etc. I actually avoid things that you can pick up with your hand at buffets.

I have learned to tolerate the inconsistent no self service policy. It is just an annoyance.

Any engine-related problems as was the case on immediately preceding Regatta cruise(s)? Were any scheduled port stays adjusted because of an inability to maintain speed?

Engine was working perfectly and all ports were on time or ahead of time. The captain on board now is quite capable and one of my personal favorites.

We want on the Veendam in April, and in the Lido restaurant they had a server at the salad bar.

In the Lido rest. was the server only at the salad bar? is it a long line self serve cafeteria style?

Thanks for doing this review. A couple of things,

The included 3 bags of laundry service does not include pressing. Only wash, dry & fold. If you want things pressed a PH gets a couple of items included(can't remember how many) and then it would be a paid service.

I recently (a couple of weeks ago) disembarked in Seattle on Celebrity and we were toward the end of disembarkation and were off the ship and through customs well before 9am. And this was a 3k passenger ship, not a 650.

Not quite sure what was happening with your group.

Thanks for doing this review. A couple of things,

The included 3 bags of laundry service does not include pressing. Only wash, dry & fold. If you want things pressed a PH gets a couple of items included(can't remember how many) and then it would be a paid service.

Concierge get 4 free pressings so maybe PH get the same or more

I sent DH heavy cotton pants out & they came back looking like they had a light pressing under the free laundry bag deal

I usually use the laundry room :halo: