Toscana

marylizcat

We have only cruised with Oceania once before and I cannot really remember much about Toscana, so perhaps you can help me.

I believe that it is customary in Italy to have both a pasta/risotto course and a main course. Now I realise that if we order both courses, they will let us have them. However, we don’t want two large courses. Do they automatically just bring a small portion of the pasta or do we have to specify that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It may be customary but ordering from each course is way too much food, even in appetizer size portions.

I just order soup, either pasta or risotto in small portion, then an entrée.

We have only cruised with Oceania once before and I cannot really remember much about Toscana, so perhaps you can help me.

I believe that it is customary in Italy to have both a pasta/risotto course and a main course. Now I realise that if we order both courses, they will let us have them. However, we don’t want two large courses. Do they automatically just bring a small portion of the pasta or do we have to specify that?

It is best to specify exactly what you want, they are very accommodating. Don't forget to ask for a small taste of parmesan from the wheel at the front entrance.

It may be customary but ordering from each course is way too much food, even in appetizer size portions.

May be too much for you but not for others. Why not let them decide for themselves?

I didn’t suggest that I was going to order from each course!

Thank you. Looks like we should specify small size then.

Please don't get too invested in emotionally in a small portion actually appearing on your plate when served. You will ask and your waiter will relay your request, but the line cooks are the folks who will -- or won't -- make that happen. Enough cruisers treat the pasta course as their main plate that we've found the line cooks are on auto-pilot when it comes to portion size. And that size is generous! Consider it a bonus if a small portion arrives at your table.

Toscana is our least favourite restaurant and I avoid eating there unless I get invited by the GM etc. That said - they are very good about bringing very small portions (Italian size portions really) if you ask. And living on 45 mins from Italy I can tell you that it is normal in Italy to have an antipasto dish or salad, then a pasta or risotto and then a main course with - if ordered - "contorni" or side dishes (like potatoes, vegetables etc). Then cheese and dessert. you do not have to have all this but with small portions it is possible...as long as you do like the Italians and really eat only one main meal a day!

JUST ASK

If they can do smaller portions they will

but the waiters do not always read your mind well

Why so rude and aggressive? No need to shout. Or perhaps you don’t realise that capitals are considered shouting on the internet. And I think I had already got that message anyway!

If you read my original question, you will see that I was enquiring whether or not they follow normal Italian practice automatically. Clearly they do not and it is necessary to ask.

I recall on our MSC cruise (an Italian line), we always ordered all seven courses. People who ordered just three courses were always complaining about the small portions. They did not understand that they were intentionally small.

But Oceania is an American line, not an Italian one. I get that. And I will remember not to ask any more questions, at least not on this board.