Planning land trip to Denali with older parents

dinibo

I will be taking a cruise on the Princess Star at the end of August 2018 and am trying to work out a DIY land tour for myself, my husband and his sister (all in our 40's) and my mother and father-in-law (68, 74) and could really use some help. I have read plenty of other trip itineraries but none seem to match up well with our ragtag little group.

My FIL has mobility issues and can only walk a few blocks at the most so many of the items like hiking or even just extended strolling around a place for long are fairly limited, although if there were comfortable places for him to rest I am sure he would be ok just sitting and reading a book or something similar while we look around for a bit. My in-laws also are not typically touristy people so they wouldn't exactly be enthusiastic about some of the more cheesy tourist type activities that I normally love. Our agenda so far is looking like this:

Day 1 - Fly into Anchorage, pick up rental car (already booked) and stay overnight.

Day 2 - Drive up to Denali, stop for supplies & food to cook at home, check into condo booked in Healy

Day 3 - Visit Denali, likely the 8 hour park shuttle bus as they don't seem to want to do much longer than that.

Day 4 - Open. REALLY need help for this day. I had planned on a second bus day but they now say no way.

Day 5 - Drive back to Anchorage, drop off car, take Alaska Cruise Transfer shuttle bus to Whittier with stop at wildlife park.

Skagway - take white pass railroad

Juneau - whale watching

Ketchikan - lumberjack show & city tour

My in-laws are enthusiastic and specifically asked to do a land tour however they have very specific requirements that are making this so difficult for me to plan. They are not interested in spending any more money than possible so expensive things like plane rides do not interest them. They are unable to walk far so hiking would be out. (Driving to overlooks or other scenic areas might be an option however.) They are strict vegetarians and only eat super specific foods so fishing or similar food based activities would not interest them. I know they are very interested in animals and nature but other than the one day bus ride, which is all they are willing to do bus wise, I just don't know what to plan for them. My husband and I are the plan every minute, do all the goofy tourist things and pack your day full of activities types so trying to find a balance which will satisfy them without completely disappointing us is just overwhelming me. For the most part splitting up and doing our own thing is also not on the table.

So please help! I am looking for any and all suggestions. We will have a car so we can easily travel. Does anyone have any suggestions for things we could do around or even within a couple of hours of the Denali/Healy area which might fit the bill? In the past we have used driving tours like the Gypsy apps but I haven't been able to really find anything like that for this area.

Also just a couple of other questions if you don't mind-

Any recommendations on places to stop or visit on the drive up to Denali? I'd really like to break up the drive with a few stops if at all possible.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in Anchorage that would have a good price? We will have a car we are picking up at the airport so having a shuttles and close proximity are not terribly important.

Are there any decent options for vegetarian food in Anchorage? I'd like to talk them into eating out at least once and Anchorage seems like my best chance!

We were looking at the white pass railroad in Skagway as it seemed like something everyone could do but tbh I am a little worried I'm going to be bored. Can anyone give an idea of what to expect? How long does the total ride last? Is it worth it?

Thank you all so much for any help you can provide. I really appreciate it!

For Denali on day 2 you could all watch the free sled dog demo ... usually 10, 2 and 4pm.

River rafting ?

http://a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

But if you don't have any plans why not just cancel the 3rd nite in Healy ? You could still do the 10am sled dog demo, and maybe you could do a hike, but then drive on to Talkeetna (2hrs) to spend the night. It's a TINY village ... they could walk a little then stop at one of the many restaurants for a drink or snack and people watch.

As for the drive, Bells Travel Guide has a milepost guide to Denali. I put a link to the guide in the HELPFUL RESOURCES thread. (I recommend stopping at the Eklutna Spirit Houses and orthodox church just north of Anc ). Read some of the DIY trip reports to get some ideas on what worked for other people.

If you think you'll be bored with the RT train in Skagway, so the train one way and van the other. OR let them take the train one way and you can pick them up in a rental car for the return trip ..... gives you all a little break from each other.

p.s. for the price of 5 transfers to Whittier, couldn't you get a one-way AVIS rental car ? Then you could drive yourselves to the Wildlife Center as well as a few other interesting stops.

I loved my parents (now gone), but I would not limit the enjoyment of my vacation if they expected me to babysit them on vacation for two weeks.

I suggest that you make your plans, tell your parents what they are and that they are welcome to tag along. That way they can choose what they want to do.

If they want to do something else, help them research whatever it is and wish them well.

Frankly- I strongly suggest SPLITTING up. They aren't that old that need 24/7 "togetherness" are they? You already have some slants in your port you are NOT doing what YOU want to include=- so I would INCLUDE it frankly?

I would think a RV would be a better choice compared to a "condo", which I wonder what really is in Healy? If you have the entire NOT shared space then leave them there, if they don't want to do anything. What you need to consider is, activities in Alaska usually take a large amount of time. There isn't much you can do in an hour. :) Have you looked at RV's? Don't be so quick to dismiss it- in your case, it's a superior option compared to being stuck compromising as significantly, as you are, on activities.

After Denali going to the Wildlife conservatory may not be "much". Was anyone interested in a Prince William Sound glacier tour? Absolutely spectacular, and grossly superior to what you see from your cruise ship. I'd strong suggest, again- split up.

Welcome to Alaska. But Man---That is tough to try and schedule without screwing up your own vacation travel. I would definitely take B.Q.'s advice. Cancel that car and condo. Get a reasonable R.V., small motor home would be best. Also, get yourself a copy of the "Alaska Milepost" give it to your parents to ponder over now and when you are here traveling around as well, you can change your mind after you get here if you hear about or see something you would rather do that is different than planned.

Having the motor home allows you to have a huge variety of options. If the folks are too tired or whatever to do this or that I'm sure, if you park the R.V. in a good location, they will have a great time by themselves while you are off doing your own thing.

Do not cancel the Whitepass Train trip. It isn't all that long and I bet your folks will love it, something to see almost every second, in my opinion I regard it as one of the top excursions in our State.

As far as vegetarian diet. My wife is a vegan although not a die hard one. Lot of quality dining places in Anchorage that are vegetarian "friendly". Check this out on Trip Advisor under restaurants in Anchorage by checking vegetarian block. Get back to us here when and if you find one that might be on interest. We give you the low down on it then, maybe.

Have you considered renting your FIL a scooter ? That might give him more options. I agree with skipping the last night in Healy and substitute Anchorage. Given their issues sightseeing more in Anchorage could work out much better. Museums, the big park, and a drive down the scenic highway to the south. Plus more food options

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For Denali on day 2 you could all watch the free sled dog demo ... usually 10, 2 and 4pm.

River rafting ?

http://a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

But if you don't have any plans why not just cancel the 3rd nite in Healy ? You could still do the 10am sled dog demo, and maybe you could do a hike, but then drive on to Talkeetna (2hrs) to spend the night. It's a TINY village ... they could walk a little then stop at one of the many restaurants for a drink or snack and people watch.

As for the drive, Bells Travel Guide has a milepost guide to Denali. I put a link to the guide in the HELPFUL RESOURCES thread. (I recommend stopping at the Eklutna Spirit Houses and orthodox church just north of Anc ). Read some of the DIY trip reports to get some ideas on what worked for other people.

If you think you'll be bored with the RT train in Skagway, so the train one way and van the other. OR let them take the train one way and you can pick them up in a rental car for the return trip ..... gives you all a little break from each other.

p.s. for the price of 5 transfers to Whittier, couldn't you get a one-way AVIS rental car ? Then you could drive yourselves to the Wildlife Center as well as a few other interesting stops.

Thanks for the link and the suggestions! That is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. I know there must be options, just have to figure them out.

I priced the bus transfer vs the car rental and to get a car big enough for all of us and our luggage the price actually came out cheaper, plus we don't have to worry about directions and I like the idea of a narrated tour. It also gives my husband a chance to take a break from driving and enjoy the scenery more. I know the wildlife center probably isn't that amazing but it seemed like a good way to break up the drive and was only a few dollars extra so why not I figure.

I have gone back and forth on the condo and the number of nights. We are actually staying at a place with 3 bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room so I feel ok calling it a "condo". We found it on VBRO and it seems to get great reviews and had exactly what we were looking for for a really great price. I don't suspect we could find the same for one night somewhere else so I'd like to try to make it work. With my in-laws dietary restrictions having somewhere were they can cook their own food and we all can have our own space at the end of the night really works for us.

The lumberjack show is one of the cheesiest things I have done in Alaska.......

LOL, that is exactly my thought on the matter but it is actually the only thing they actually said they wanted to do. I'm going to take one for the team and try to enjoy it!

Have you considered renting your FIL a scooter ? That might give him more options. I agree with skipping the last night in Healy and substitute Anchorage. Given their issues sightseeing more in Anchorage could work out much better. Museums, the big park, and a drive down the scenic highway to the south. Plus more food options

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am pretty sure he would be too proud for something like that but it certainly might simplify things. I also don't know how much it would help with hiking or similar activities and could be difficult to transport. Good thought though.

Welcome to Alaska. But Man---That is tough to try and schedule without screwing up your own vacation travel. I would definitely take B.Q.'s advice. Cancel that car and condo. Get a reasonable R.V., small motor home would be best. Also, get yourself a copy of the "Alaska Milepost" give it to your parents to ponder over now and when you are here traveling around as well, you can change your mind after you get here if you hear about or see something you would rather do that is different than planned.

Having the motor home allows you to have a huge variety of options. If the folks are too tired or whatever to do this or that I'm sure, if you park the R.V. in a good location, they will have a great time by themselves while you are off doing your own thing.

Do not cancel the Whitepass Train trip. It isn't all that long and I bet your folks will love it, something to see almost every second, in my opinion I regard it as one of the top excursions in our State.

As far as vegetarian diet. My wife is a vegan although not a die hard one. Lot of quality dining places in Anchorage that are vegetarian "friendly". Check this out on Trip Advisor under restaurants in Anchorage by checking vegetarian block. Get back to us here when and if you find one that might be on interest. We give you the low down on it then, maybe.

Thanks for the info! I didn't think about Trip Advisor for restaurants but that is a great idea. I feel like with this trip all my normal planning abilities are short circuiting! :)

Glad to hear you like the railroad. I think we will stick with that one as it will be very doable for everyone. If it is short hopefully we could even drop my FIL off afterward at the ship and squeeze some other things in around port.

I am so tempted by the motor home idea but I just know I couldn't sell that one. I can't help but think of the episode of Frasier where they rented an RV! I love my family but I just don't see that one happening! ;)

Frankly- I strongly suggest SPLITTING up. They aren't that old that need 24/7 "togetherness" are they? You already have some slants in your port you are NOT doing what YOU want to include=- so I would INCLUDE it frankly?

I would think a RV would be a better choice compared to a "condo", which I wonder what really is in Healy? If you have the entire NOT shared space then leave them there, if they don't want to do anything. What you need to consider is, activities in Alaska usually take a large amount of time. There isn't much you can do in an hour. :) Have you looked at RV's? Don't be so quick to dismiss it- in your case, it's a superior option compared to being stuck compromising as significantly, as you are, on activities.

After Denali going to the Wildlife conservatory may not be "much". Was anyone interested in a Prince William Sound glacier tour? Absolutely spectacular, and grossly superior to what you see from your cruise ship. I'd strong suggest, again- split up.

I appreciate where you are coming from but this is the only family vacation we have ever taken as a group and honestly probably ever will. Originally my husband and I planned the trip and when his parents found out they decided to join in. In 20 years this is the first pure vacation I have ever seen them take. They are sort of the definition of workaholics and I want to try to push their boundaries but respect them at the same time. His father isn't in great health and I know my husband and his sister in particular want to spend some quality time with him on this trip while he is still mostly able to get around. I'm just trying to find ways to make the best of it for everyone. Suggesting that we all split up for more than a few hours would probably not been seen as very sensitive to the underlying nature of the trip. I figure there must be compromises out there, I just have to figure them out!

Day 4 in Denali...definitely do the dog demo, it’s free. The visitor center is nice as well as the grounds around it. Would they be ok hanging out at the visitor center area for an hour or two? If so mobile members of the group could take one of the short circular hikes that start there. DH and I enjoyed that very much. You can do one leg of it in a hour or so. I think from the Healy area there is river rafting or ATV tours... would they do that? or be ok hanging at the condo while the rest of the group did that in the afternoon, so part of the day easy activity at the dog kennels and part of it more active so everybody gets something? The Princess Lodge near the main gate to Denali has nice grounds for walking and a big deck to look at the scenery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What time does your flight arrive in Anc?

If it's late afternnon, here's a suggestion that will give you and DH an Alaska adventure, and still be of interest to the inlaws. Instead of overnighting in Anc, pick up the car and drive to Matanuska Glacier to overnight. The next morning you could do an ice trek while the in-laws relax in a lodge overlooking the glacier. Have lunch then head to denali. (As you drive past Wasilla, buy your non perishables at Walmart, Safeway, or FredMeyer. Groceries near denali are very pricey.)

What time does your flight arrive in Anc?

If it's late afternnon, here's a suggestion that will give you and DH an Alaska adventure, and still be of interest to the inlaws. Instead of overnighting in Anc, pick up the car and drive to Matanuska Glacier to overnight. The next morning you could do an ice trek while the in-laws relax in a lodge overlooking the glacier. Have lunch then head to denali. (As you drive past Wasilla, buy your non perishables at Walmart, Safeway, or FredMeyer. Groceries near denali are very pricey.)

We haven't booked flights yet but I will definitely look into that! Thanks for the suggestion!

Day 4 in Denali...definitely do the dog demo, it’s free. The visitor center is nice as well as the grounds around it. Would they be ok hanging out at the visitor center area for an hour or two? If so mobile members of the group could take one of the short circular hikes that start there. DH and I enjoyed that very much. You can do one leg of it in a hour or so. I think from the Healy area there is river rafting or ATV tours... would they do that? or be ok hanging at the condo while the rest of the group did that in the afternoon, so part of the day easy activity at the dog kennels and part of it more active so everybody gets something? The Princess Lodge near the main gate to Denali has nice grounds for walking and a big deck to look at the scenery.

Very good suggestion! I think a hour hike would be very doable. I will definitely check out the dog demo too. I think my FIL would actually be just fine staying back at our condo for a few hours but I wouldn't want to be gone for an extended time. Short 1-2 hour hikes are a great idea.

My DH and I did a DYI

Alaska trip that was meant to be an exploratory trip for a later one in our motorhome. We rented a car in Anchorage and stayed in B&Bs all the way up to Fairbanks and back to Anchorage. The condo idea is great, the RV is not since it sounds like you have no experience with one and 5 adults in a "small" one can be really tight. My suggestion is two nights in Healy, and on the way back possibly stopping in Talkeetna for lunch, and visiting the Iditarod headquarters in Wasilla before returning to Anchorage. We are now in our 70's and still RV(nixed the long trip to Alaska, though), cruise, do land tours, and DIY travel with flights and rental cars. We have to limit our excursion length a bit, but fortunately neither of us has mobility issues. My advice is to limit your "do your own thing" to the port excursions, since your in laws can easily make their own plans that fit their interests and needs independent of you. And if your excursion choices coincide, that would be great, too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I am planning a trip for myself and my mother. Mom is 74 and also has some mobility issues, so I understand your dilemma.

Here is a site that might have activities you or your in laws would enjoy. https://www.blackdiamondtourco.com/

Mom got excited about the covered wagon ride.

Also, as someone mentioned, look up Healy and Denali National Park on TripAdvisor. The company I linked above has been reviewed there. I cannot recommend since I haven't used them, but I do know of their existence, and you asked for info. Hope it helps.

Finally, don't take the entire burden of planning on yourself. Present the group with some options and let them help you. I agree if spending time together is important, you will want to do as many things as you can with each other, but I believe there may be times when your in laws are ready for down time that you might be able to go do an activity or have an adventure separately as well.