Veendam Boston to Bermuda

jode

I just returned yesterday from the Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Veendam. Once I finish laundry, etc I hope to write a review. Briefly this was our first HAL cruise in over 20 cruises and we enjoyed it. A lot of things that seemed to be a problem with others just did not materialize for us. Either we were lucky or they have resolved those issues.

Couple of quick notes: Be sure you are actually on the ship when it leaves port. Not running or "hoping" they will wait for you. The captain said people miss their ship every single week. Three people missed our leaving Bermuda and they didn't have their passports with them. The ship security entered their room, found their passports and left them with the person in the immigration office. The captain said those people were spending the night at the Grotto Bay Resort and flying home the next day - all on their dime. Very expensive lesson hopefully learned.

Gala night is a mixed bag - most had on shirt and long pants - shirt had a collar - some with ties but most without. A few tuxes and a few Scottish pants/jackets etc. They all looked very nice. Sadly two men were allowed in MDR with shorts on - seriously why this happens is a mystery. Why people feel the need to rebel by doing it and why it is not addressed by staff is not fair to others. Honestly - maybe it is me but what is the difference between shorts and long pants - both have a waist and a zipper - only pants have a little more material. This didn't spoil our cruise but I just find it odd that people would purposely flaunt rules about wearing long pants in the dining room. Spoke with an elderly gentleman who said he had on shorts when he boarded and was tired by dinnertime and wore them to the dining room on the first night on the assumption that first night and last night were ok. He was stopped and asked if his luggage had arrived. He said yes it had. He was then told that he had to put on long pants before entering the dining room. If he had not received his luggage then they would make an exception for the first night. So he did just that. He wasn't mad, didn't make a scene, just adjusted his attire to what was expected.

Took only one excursion as we have been to Bermuda about 5 times. It was the HAL glass bottom boat sunset cruise and well worth the cost. Very informative and entertaining!

If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Dd you happen to try dinner in Pinnacle? I hope they have a new Manager as last July, it 'needed work'.

Did they provide cruise logs ? I was disappointed to not receive one last year.

Dd you happen to try dinner in Pinnacle? I hope they have a new Manager as last July, it 'needed work'.

Did they provide cruise logs ? I was disappointed to not receive one last year.

We did not try any specialty restaurants mostly because I cannot eat the amount of food served and since the food in the MDR was so good (and already paid for with our booking) we didn't seen the need to pay extra only to have me eat half of my meal.

Not sure if this was the "cruise log" you referred to but on the last evening we received a heavy weight paper "log" of our trip - with miles, etc. (even the number of eggs used - 15,000 !) signed by the captain. It is a nice keepsake.

I was on this cruise also. Loved this cruise and am sad that they won't be doing this itinerary next year. I would love to do this cruise again.

I was on my balcony at noon on Thursday and I was surprised at the number of people still casually strolling up to the ship far past the all aboard time of 12:00. One couple ambled up the path in no apparent hurry at 12:40. I don't know if they were clueless or have nerves of steel! I sure wouldn't chance it.

I'm looking forward to your review so I can relive it all through your eyes!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did not try any specialty restaurants mostly because I cannot eat the amount of food served and since the food in the MDR was so good (and already paid for with our booking) we didn't seen the need to pay extra only to have me eat half of my meal.

Not sure if this was the "cruise log" you referred to but on the last evening we received a heavy weight paper "log" of our trip - with miles, etc. (even the number of eggs used - 15,000 !) signed by the captain. It is a nice keepsake.

Yes, souns like Veendam's version of Cruise log. Ha;ppy they are back to givin g it out I agree the MDR food was quite good.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Welcome back and good to hear you enjoyed your cruise so much.

I was on this cruise also. Loved this cruise and am sad that they won't be doing this itinerary next year. I would love to do this cruise again.

I was on my balcony at noon on Thursday and I was surprised at the number of people still casually strolling up to the ship far past the all aboard time of 12:00. One couple ambled up the path in no apparent hurry at 12:40. I don't know if they were clueless or have nerves of steel! I sure wouldn't chance it.

I'm looking forward to your review so I can relive it all through your eyes!

Oh I am now very steamed about late strollers to the ship knowing when it is to leave. I am not sure if you attend the captains q&a on Friday. My husband and I did and it was very informative and the captain very chatty and down to earth. One of the last questions was "does anyone miss the ship" and the captain replied "every week" and went through the procedure this week when three people didn't make the ship as it left Bermuda. It is quite a process as they did not have their passports etc. They had to spend the night at a hotel in Bermuda and fly back to Boston. No sympathy there from me. But what really upset me was that a woman reprimanded the captain in front of everyone for leaving the poor passengers in a "foreign" island. And made things worse by telling him that if he does not have the patience to wait for passengers then maybe he is in the wrong job. Seriously? I think those people who literally missed the boat are taking the wrong vacation. I felt so bad for the captain to have his hand slapped by this ignorant woman but he was gracious and acknowledged that he understood what she was saying. It does take all sorts of people and opinions but I could have done without hers!

Oh I am now very steamed about late strollers to the ship knowing when it is to leave. I am not sure if you attend the captains q&a on Friday. My husband and I did and it was very informative and the captain very chatty and down to earth. One of the last questions was "does anyone miss the ship" and the captain replied "every week" and went through the procedure this week when three people didn't make the ship as it left Bermuda. It is quite a process as they did not have their passports etc. They had to spend the night at a hotel in Bermuda and fly back to Boston. No sympathy there from me. But what really upset me was that a woman reprimanded the captain in front of everyone for leaving the poor passengers in a "foreign" island. And made things worse by telling him that if he does not have the patience to wait for passengers then maybe he is in the wrong job. Seriously? I think those people who literally missed the boat are taking the wrong vacation. I felt so bad for the captain to have his hand slapped by this ignorant woman but he was gracious and acknowledged that he understood what she was saying. It does take all sorts of people and opinions but I could have done without hers!

I intended to go to the Captain's Q&A, but unfortunately missed it. The nerve of that woman! She clearly doesn't have much cruising experience to make those kinds of statements. Kudos to the Captain for the way he handled this. If it were me, I would have been tempted to take her down a peg or two. Maybe it's a good thing I missed this, that would have really upset me, too.

I've always wondered about the logistics when someone is left behind and can't catch up at the next port. Not only making last minute reservations for a flight and hotel but having someone pack up all my belongings and the valuables that were left in the safe. That last bit alone keeps me on schedule that last day.

Is there not going to be any HAL cruises to Bermuda in 2019?

No. Venice has recently restricted the size of ships there and the Veendam fits their criteria so they will be sailing out of Venice next year.

The on board CC's are not always entirely accuate in the information they provide. They often think they know mor e than they do and I have leaned to 'second guess what they say. I think they mean well but are p lain wrong too often.

As to HAL and Bermuda, in 2019, Time will tell.

Probably Depends how good the proftis have been on the Bermuda cruises the last several years.

I Have been docked in Hamillton And at the Dockyard and I would return if docked again at the Dockyard. I was just fine when we docked there.

Perhaps, HAL may choose to send a larger ship there if they leave Veendam in Europe for Venice.

Seeing how badly Veendam has been chopped up, a larger ship might be good idea.

Ship does NOT have to dock in Hamilton, iMO.

I've done both so really ca n compare the experience

Edited by sail7seas

We were also on the Veendam to Bermuda last week and thoroughly enjoyed the ship and the island. My first and, until now, only HAL cruise was to Alaska 9 years ago. We liked it, but since then we've cruised only with Celebrity because we found the food more interesting and the buffet and MDR service more efficient than on HAL. But after last week, I'm looking for more opportunities to cruise on the Veendam and possibly other HAL ships if they're as good as the Veendam. HAL has really improved its food, service, and on-board activities to the point where I give it the edge over Celebrity, though ultimately we decide on a cruise based more on itinerary than any other factor. We really liked Canaletto and went twice, though we also enjoyed the MDR food and could have easily gone there instead for our last night. Neither the menu nor the high upcharge at the Pinnacle appealed to us.

~Maya