What is there to do NEAR the port of Civitavecchia, Italy ~ other than go to Rome?

kerrykobik

:confused:How many of the above sites are open to the public on Mondays? Our only port day in Civitavecchia is a Monday. The Etruscan ruins really appeal to me but my hubby is more interested in the Roman buildings. I’m trying to decide what’s going to be the best plan of action whilst we are there. Many thanks.

The Etruscan tombs in Tarquinia and the Etruscan museum are both closed on Mondays, if that's what you mean by Etruscan ruins.

Most of the sites I name in Rome in the post you quote are open on Monday.

The "Mouth of Truth" is located in the front portico of a church and open 9:30 to 5:30 every day.

The Baths of Caracalla are open 9:00 am to 6:15 pm on Mondays.

The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill are open on Mondays, as are all sites at the Vatican (the Scavi under St. Peter's require special reservations, however).

The Castel Sant'Angelo is open on Monday from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm.

The Borghese Gallery is closed, but the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj is open on Mondays for a similar experience.

The two ancient Roman museums I mention are, unfortunately, closed on Mondays.

The Etruscan tombs in Tarquinia and the Etruscan museum are both closed on Mondays, if that's what you mean by Etruscan ruins.

Most of the sites I name in Rome in the post you quote are open on Monday.

The "Mouth of Truth" is located in the front portico of a church and open 9:30 to 5:30 every day.

The Baths of Caracalla are open 9:00 am to 6:15 pm on Mondays.

The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill are open on Mondays, as are all sites at the Vatican (the Scavi under St. Peter's require special reservations, however).

The Castel Sant'Angelo is open on Monday from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm.

The Borghese Gallery is closed, but the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj is open on Mondays for a similar experience.

The two ancient Roman museums I mention are, unfortunately, closed on Mondays.

So much info thank you, we are first timers at this type of holiday as I’m sure you can tell. It’s exactly what we needed. :D

So much info thank you, we are first timers at this type of holiday as I’m sure you can tell. It’s exactly what we needed. :D

As you are doing your planning, feel free to ask if you have specific questions.

Also -- if you're looking for hours of various sites anywhere, I've found using Google is really easy (and pretty accurate for the most part although I sometimes double check): Just type in: (name of place or site) opening hours and you'll get a little box on the right with that info and sometimes a Google map showing the location.

For those interested in the Piazza Bocca della Verita – there is much to see in this area for fans of ancient Rome such as myself. The incredible bronze Hercules of the Forum Boarium (now housed in the Capitoline –Palazzo dei Conservatori) was found here. This was the site of the ancient cattle market (Forum Boarium) and contains two well preserved temples: Temple of Hercules Victor & Temple of Portunus.

One can also view the Arch of Janus adjacent to Santa Maria in Cosmedin (in whose portico stands the Bocca della Verita, aka the Mouth of Truth).

Nerd alert: Inside the sacistry/gift shop of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, one can view the fragment of the Epiphany – one of the very rare remaining mosaics from the old St. Peter’s Basilica.

From Santa Maria in Cosmedin, it is but a short 5 - 10 minute stroll to the Teatro di Marcello (an ancient open air theater inaugurated in 12 BC by Augustus).

For those interested in the Piazza Bocca della Verita – there is much to see in this area for fans of ancient Rome such as myself. The incredible bronze Hercules of the Forum Boarium (now housed in the Capitoline –Palazzo dei Conservatori) was found here. This was the site of the ancient cattle market (Forum Boarium) and contains two well preserved temples: Temple of Hercules Victor & Temple of Portunus.

One can also view the Arch of Janus adjacent to Santa Maria in Cosmedin (in whose portico stands the Bocca della Verita, aka the Mouth of Truth).

Nerd alert: Inside the sacistry/gift shop of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, one can view the fragment of the Epiphany – one of the very rare remaining mosaics from the old St. Peter’s Basilica.

From Santa Maria in Cosmedin, it is but a short 5 - 10 minute stroll to the Teatro di Marcello (an ancient open air theater inaugurated in 12 BC by Augustus).

dogs4fun, I much enjoyed a tour I booked through coopculture site that included entry into those two temples on the Forum Boarium. The tours were conducted in Italian (which I was able to understand most of, thanks to four years of Italian lessons) but the true delight was in just being able to do an inside visit. Something to consider on a next visit... ;)

P.S. I did not know about the mosaic from the original St. Peter's basilica. (Many times I've wished -- silently -- that it had never been 'upgraded'.)

We toured the ruins at Ostia Antica, which I believe is not far from Civitavecchia, about an hour away. When there, we encountered a private guide and for a reasonable price she gave us a wonderful guided tour w descriptions of the purpose of each ruin and of life in roman times. I do recommend Ostia Antica.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We toured the ruins at Ostia Antica, which I believe is not far from Civitavecchia, about an hour away. When there, we encountered a private guide and for a reasonable price she gave us a wonderful guided tour w descriptions of the purpose of each ruin and of life in roman times. I do recommend Ostia Antica.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ostia is indeed wonderful. The problem with doing it from Civitavecchia is that unless you rent a car or book a private driver, you have to take the train to Rome and then backtrack to Ostia -- in which case one might as well just go into Rome for the day.

I much enjoyed a tour I booked through coopculture site that included entry into those two temples on the Forum Boarium.

Oh, lucky you - I would love to visit the inside of either (preferably both). Unfortunately, tours conducted in Italian would be a deal breaker for me as my Italian is VERY limited.

Many of the responses on here are recommending 'sights' but for those who are interested just one train stop away - 5 mins (in the direction of Rome) is Santa Marinella which has a lovely sandy beach.

Many of the responses on here are recommending 'sights' but for those who are interested just one train stop away - 5 mins (in the direction of Rome) is Santa Marinella which has a lovely sandy beach.

We are actually staying in Civitavecchia overnight before our cruise in November and I did see this area which looks like something my husband and I would like. I do have a question for anyone who has stayed in Civitavecchia overnight or been there for the day. My husband and I enjoy renting bikes in various areas of places we stop at (Rome, Barcelona, Alicante) and it has been a great way to explore. Has anyone ever rented bikes in Civitavecchia and if so, who did you use? We rented bikes to ride the Appian Way last year while we were in Rome and we had a great time on a Sunday last May.