When is a "refare" a "cancel and rebook"?

There are any number of occasions outlined on this forum, of passengers asking for a "refare" from Princess and other cruiselines when prices drop prior to final payment. And I have done it myself on previous cruises.

This time I seem to have complicated the issue by booking (and paying already) for my airfare through Princess EZ Air months prior to final payment for the cruise. I booked the cruise in October last year and the air fare in November, for a cruise in September this year.

Recently I noticed a fare drop and rang to refare. NO GO! According to the Princess representative, because I had bought and paid for the air ticket, the only way to refare was to cancel and rebook, thereby forfeiting the FCD used for the deposit, cancelling the air ticket and forfeiting the money paid.

If I had booked the ticket separately with the airline directly, or with a TA, I wouldn't be in this position. I feel disadvantaged!!!

Anybody out there who has had similar experience, or a better outcome? Do I ask again on the off chance that a different representative will give me a different answer?

There are any number of occasions outlined on this forum, of passengers asking for a "refare" from Princess and other cruiselines when prices drop prior to final payment. And I have done it myself on previous cruises.

This time I seem to have complicated the issue by booking (and paying already) for my airfare through Princess EZ Air months prior to final payment for the cruise. I booked the cruise in October last year and the air fare in November, for a cruise in September this year.

Recently I noticed a fare drop and rang to refare. NO GO! According to the Princess representative, because I had bought and paid for the air ticket, the only way to refare was to cancel and rebook, thereby forfeiting the FCD used for the deposit, cancelling the air ticket and forfeiting the money paid.

If I had booked the ticket separately with the airline directly, or with a TA, I wouldn't be in this position. I feel disadvantaged!!!

Anybody out there who has had similar experience, or a better outcome? Do I ask again on the off chance that a different representative will give me a different answer?

with Princess Ezair they have a flexible and restricted air so if you booked a restricted air you cant cancel and rebook other wise you lose your air fare thats been paid for but if it was a flexilble air you should be able to

I also had an issue with Princess in regards to a refare. I have booked a cruise for January 2019 in March this year using my FCD as a deposit. Balance is not due until early November.

The fare increased by $220 but included a $300.00 on board credit - I would have been $80.00 better off - not much but a little extra towards my wines at dinner.

I rang reservations and was refused a 'refare'. They insisted I would have to cancel and rebook losing the small onboard credit from using my FCB. It was not worth the hassle.

I was very disappointed as I have been able to do this before on previous cruises but sadly the reservations consultant was adamant that it would not be done.

Oh well, not a lot in it and I still have a cruise to look forward to but it is a real dilemma as to how early to book. I am on a guarantee so it is not as if I had picked a particular cabin.

That's surprising, judithann423, although it could have been a "new bookings only" promotion.

But if the cruise isn't until January 2019 you should not have lost your FCD even if it did have to be rebooked. It's more than six months out from that cruise so your FCD should have been put back on your Princess account.

I suspect you got someone who didn't really understand refaring and FCDs. It might be worth ringing them again.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

But if the cruise isn't until January 2019 you should not have lost your FCD even if it did have to be rebooked. It's more than six months out from that cruise so your FCD should have been put back on your Princess account.

I once cancelled a cruise and asked for the FCD to be applied to another cruise, was told I couldnt use it as it was out of date and the money would be transferred to my bank account.......that two years goes by way too quickly!!

The FCD is good if it is on a booked cruise, but once cancelled, if the FCD is out of date cannot be reused, maybe this was the case.

Set yourself some rules to beat Princess at their game.

I have had the problem but always tend to win out because I never book my flights with Princess. Big mistake and it gives them complete control over your holiday. Instead book your own flights through your favourite airline and do it to make sure you earn airline points and credit card points if applicable. Screenshot the airfare as leverage to prove you are genuine about going on the cruise if necessary.

Be wary of various promotions that state "Only available to new bookings" this is Princess way of screwing you out of a re-fare be denying you a cheaper cruise. Be mindful of this trap and never pay for a cruise in advance. Never do that and always use the most minimum deposit if possible. Use the $100 future cruise credit and be prepared to lose it if the odds are in your favour of cancelling. I always pay on the very last day that the payment is due. That gives me complete control over Princess opposed to them having control over me.

If you notice a price drop then simply tell them you wish to cancel the booking. First demand a re-fare and show them your paid airfare as proof you are genuine and always play the line that Princess should be looking after their regular passengers more as they have demonstrated a continual history of paying for cruises and following through with the booking. To change the fare on serious loyal passengers is entirely unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Sure they have to run a business, but you have to balance a household budget and that takes the upmost priority in this case and their business must respect your right to balance a household budget and re-fare at all times.

I am in the process of cancelling a cruise booked for October this year due to a $1000 price drop. I will be emailing them more about a full cancellation due to their neglect of past passengers by only making the new fare available to new bookings. The difference could easily be spent on board in the way of drinks and on board spend but they do not see it this way.

Set yourself some rules to beat Princess at their game.

I have had the problem but always tend to win out because I never book my flights with Princess. Big mistake and it gives them complete control over your holiday. Instead book your own flights through your favourite airline and do it to make sure you earn airline points and credit card points if applicable. Screenshot the airfare as leverage to prove you are genuine about going on the cruise if necessary.

Be wary of various promotions that state "Only available to new bookings" this is Princess way of screwing you out of a re-fare be denying you a cheaper cruise. Be mindful of this trap and never pay for a cruise in advance. Never do that and always use the most minimum deposit if possible. Use the $100 future cruise credit and be prepared to lose it if the odds are in your favour of cancelling. I always pay on the very last day that the payment is due. That gives me complete control over Princess opposed to them having control over me.

If you notice a price drop then simply tell them you wish to cancel the booking. First demand a re-fare and show them your paid airfare as proof you are genuine and always play the line that Princess should be looking after their regular passengers more as they have demonstrated a continual history of paying for cruises and following through with the booking. To change the fare on serious loyal passengers is entirely unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Sure they have to run a business, but you have to balance a household budget and that takes the upmost priority in this case and their business must respect your right to balance a household budget and re-fare at all times.

I am in the process of cancelling a cruise booked for October this year due to a $1000 price drop. I will be emailing them more about a full cancellation due to their neglect of past passengers by only making the new fare available to new bookings. The difference could easily be spent on board in the way of drinks and on board spend but they do not see it this way.

when you book your own flights be better off flying in the day before in case of any hold ups and how often when you book your return flight and the ship runs late and you have to pay up front to rebook your flight and hope that your travel insurance will pay the bill but if you book your return flight with princess and any late running your covered and no stress for you

It didn't sound like that, cheznandy. judithann423 was told she would lose the OBC but not necessarily the FCD. Very strange!

Whoops read that wrong,

Probably best for the OP to call again and talk to someone else, something is wrong there.

with Princess Ezair they have a flexible and restricted air so if you booked a restricted air you cant cancel and rebook other wise you lose your air fare thats been paid for but if it was a flexilble air you should be able to

It was a restricted air fare, at an extremely good price, and I was aware that I couldn't alter the air part once I'd booked and paid. That was made clear to me by the Princess representative during the phone call when the booking was made. What I wasn't made aware of, was that the air ticket was fixed to the cruise, so I couldn't alter the cruise either.

In hindsight, I should have purchased the air ticket direct from the airline, whose price was the same as EZair. We are flying in 40 hours ahead of the cruise so the flight delay guarantee with EZair was probably not going to be necessary anyway.

I should be happy that I got a good deal on the air ticket, and I am going to have a wonderful 32 nights on the Golden Princess, and am all the wiser for next time.:)

Just a "heads up" to others who might find themselves in the same position.

Thanks for your replies, yes I think something was awry but for $80.00 I didn't see the point in arguing, cancelling, rebooking and holding my breath that it was all going to work out. If it was a bigger difference I certainly would have been a bit more assertive.

The fare has now gone up more than $800.00 so I will sit tight and keep mum and be happy knowing I have a cruise to look forward to.

Thanks again

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, as you've found unfortunately booking an air ticket with Princess locks in details of the booking as well, meaning it can't be modified without full cancellation.

Sometimes, if it is possible Princess staff may try to work around that limitation, but that depends whether an alternative approach is possible. To be safe, better to only book air when certain of going ahead.