Sleeping in someone else's cabin ???

No it's not what it sounds like.

3 adults (2 parents and a grandparent) and 1 child want to go on a ship with a "kids travel free" program. Can the kid register as a free guest in the cabin of his parents but then actually sleep in the second cabin with the grandparent? The grandparent has to pay the single supplement anyway so why not let the kid sleep with her instead of with his parents?

Anyone see a problem with this?

3 adults (2 parents and a grandparent) and 1 child want to go on a ship with a "kids travel free" program. Can the kid register as a free guest in the cabin of his parents but then actually sleep in the second cabin with the grandparent? YES The grandparent has to pay the single supplement anyway so why not let the kid sleep with her instead of with his parents?

Anyone see a problem with this? NO PROBLEM. It's done all the time.

Have a great time!

We booked our two small grandchildren into our cabin to get a good rate, as we are Platinum, but they actually slept next door with their parents. Didn't even have to sort it out with the pursers' desk, our lovely steward just made up the dropdown and rollaway in our son's cabin instead of in ours:D

The TA confirmed what everyone on here said -- that the ship won't care. The only odd thing is that they may (at least initially) move a rollaway bed into the grandparents' room for the "third" passenger.

3 adults (2 parents and a grandparent) and 1 child want to go on a ship with a "kids travel free" program. Can the kid register as a free guest in the cabin of his parents but then actually sleep in the second cabin with the grandparent? The grandparent has to pay the single supplement anyway so why not let the kid sleep with her instead of with his parents?

Is the single supplement 200%? If so, why are you going through all this trouble? Why would you not just put the child in with the grandparent to start with and the couple in their own cabin?

I could understand if the supplement were less than 200%,

but not if it were. I know the ship doesn't care where people sleep, but the cabin steward who thought he was getting one person in a cabin might be surprised to find out oops , he has 2 but he gets tipped by the ship for only 1. (Auto tip will go to the original cabin steward, so the one serving the couple will get tips for 3.)

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We have booked our 4 year old into our friends cabin on past Princess cruise (at advice of travel agent) Friend was traveling alone so he was paying for two anyway (minus taxes and port charges). We paid his taxes and port charges and avoided paying for 3rd person in our cabin. Once onboard we went to the Purser's desk and moved our son to our room. They want to know where people are staying for emergency purposes. They are very happy to accomodate a room change. This is not "cheating" or a problem.

We are going on Holland/Westerdam in October and have booked my wife into a cabin with her father and my mother in law with me and my son, so that my in laws can get a past passenger discount. Once onboard we will switch. Again, all done at the suggestion of our TA. So, in short, don't worry and have a great cruise.

What about this: Two couples traveling together, one couple over 55, the other couple younger. They book the men in one room and the women in another, just so that both couples can benefit from the senior discount that only one couple qualifies for. On the cruise, each person stays with his/her spouse.

Kosher, or not?

It's fine---no one on the ship cares who sleeps where, or with whom! The "booking" regulations are entirely seperate from the actual "lodging" logistics!

When you check-in, just tell them who will be where--they do NOT care, and you'll get the correct keys and charge accounts from the "get-go".

We are going on Holland/Westerdam in October and have booked my wife into a cabin with her father and my mother in law with me and my son, so that my in laws can get a past passenger discount. Once onboard we will switch. Again, all done at the suggestion of our TA. So, in short, don't worry and have a great cruise.

benatty - Maybe I'm wrong, but I think when my DH and I (Mariners with Holland America) took my MIL and DIL on their first cruise, they were able to get the past passenger discount because they were in our party. In fact, I was sure of it until I started typing . . . :confused::confused: . . . now not so sure.

Anyway - HI from Centennial, your neighbor in the south suburbs! I like to see others from Colorado on CC.:)

We did the exact same thing on our last cruise. I agree with the above about them not caring where you sleep. but, we did have to wait in lines to adjust the room cards for charging on the ship and most importantly we had to re arrange the life jackets . The room attendant was very concerned (well appreciated) about having the proper size jacket with the child or adult in that room. Never even crossed our minds and thank God he thought of that ... Since he thought of that in advance, we didn't have to run around right before the drill to make the changes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Iris, we were not able to get the past passenger discount for my in-laws unless we split my wife and I up so that one of us was in their cabin, even though we booked the cruise together with my in laws through the same TA. Regardless, as everyone has mentioned, it is not that big a deal to switch the cabins once you board. We did it on our last Princess cruise and it took all of five minutes. My son was booked into our friends cabin and we switched him to ours after we boarded. We did find that the cabin steward for our friend was pissed off. We couldn't tell if it was a language barrier or that he would not get the tips for our son for the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
It's fine---no one on the ship cares who sleeps where, or with whom! ".

Just remember - What Happens on the Ship - Stays on the Ship ;)

So relax and spend time with your spouse and the grandparent spend some quality time with their grandchild

Also nice to see a fellow Colorado cruiser. We are just south of you in Highlands Ranch. One of my law partner lives in Centennial (just off Dry Creek - between Quebec and Yosemite).

Pretty close to us . . . we're at Dry Creek & Colorado.

Laura

Ok so we have 3 cabins booked and the kids(3) are one in each room. They want to change rooms to be with a certain group of grandparents and we want the youngest in our room. When do I change their rooms so their seapass card get's them in to the right room. At check in? Or do I get the TA to do it now??

I thought that they would have brought in Rhett Butler for the birthday surprise

• 2 weeks later...

I had this come up a few years ago in that we wanted to book two rooms, one for us parents and one for our two teens. The only cruise line that I could find that would allow it was RCCL and then we had to be sure to book adjoining rooms. I was afraid the room steward would rat us out if we did not do as instructed. I mean, who would want to find themselves in a room next door to unsupervised teenagers? We ended up paying a bit more in order to do as instructed, but I suppose that's the cost of being a responsible parent. Sigh.

What about this: Two couples traveling together, one couple over 55, the other couple younger. They book the men in one room and the women in another, just so that both couples can benefit from the senior discount that only one couple qualifies for. On the cruise, each person stays with his/her spouse.

Kosher, or not?

Once you board go to the pursers desk and get the right people in the right room. They probably do this every cruise. My last cruise we had 3 cabins with some very interesting booked arrangements. I think I was in a cabin with my son's fiancee, my wife was with our daughter's friend and our two kids were in a room together. Once on board we went to the pursers desk and they happily swapped us around to the correct rooms. I'm sure they do this all the time.

Archived