Seaside Review - January 6th Sailing

xmarksx

xmarksx - I'm sailing in Seaside's YC very soon (second on MSC; first in YC). I read that you didn't interact much with your butler during your cruise. I don't have a clear understanding of the (workload) differences between the cabin stewards and the butler and therefore, I'm not certain as to what I should expect - can you help?

xmarksx - I'm sailing in Seaside's YC very soon (second on MSC; first in YC). I read that you didn't interact much with your butler during your cruise. I don't have a clear understanding of the (workload) differences between the cabin stewards and the butler and therefore, I'm not certain as to what I should expect - can you help?

I can try to explain but some of it is a bit mysterious to me as well. The two cabin stewards, they worked as a duo, were responsible for cleaning the cabin. Pretty much what any cabin steward does. The butler is responsible for assisting with other cabin items, shoe shines, unpacking/packing if you want it, delivering room service and I think he did the evening chocolate delivery (maybe minibar too?)

This was our third cruise with a butler, once with Celebrity and another with Silversea, and we had the least interaction with this one. Not necessarily a criticism because A) We didn't use room service and don't need assistance with the other listed stuff and B) Much of what the butler did with Celebrity and Silversea is handled by the Yacht Club concierge. For example, booking shows.

I can try to explain but some of it is a bit mysterious to me as well. The two cabin stewards, they worked as a duo, were responsible for cleaning the cabin. Pretty much what any cabin steward does. The butler is responsible for assisting with other cabin items, shoe shines, unpacking/packing if you want it, delivering room service and I think he did the evening chocolate delivery (maybe minibar too?)

This was our third cruise with a butler, once with Celebrity and another with Silversea, and we had the least interaction with this one. Not necessarily a criticism because A) We didn't use room service and don't need assistance with the other listed stuff and B) Much of what the butler did with Celebrity and Silversea is handled by the Yacht Club concierge. For example, booking shows.

Thanks for proving your review and answering questions! If you don't mind, I have one as well. You mention that the Concierge booked shows. I thought I had read that you had to do that on your own. It would be nice if I could have him or her do that, particularly if they can do multiple days ahead of time. Thanks

Thank you very kindly for your prompt reply! I didn't realize we would have 2 cabin attendants. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. DH & I are looking forward to ours.

Thanks for proving your review and answering questions! If you don't mind, I have one as well. You mention that the Concierge booked shows. I thought I had read that you had to do that on your own. It would be nice if I could have him or her do that, particularly if they can do multiple days ahead of time. Thanks

My question too.:confused:

Thank you for your detailed review!

One question - can you access the YC Dining (LeMuse) from the cabin area of 18th floor, or only from the YC lounge where I have seen a picture of a double staircase leading up to the restaurant?

Hi JAGR,

Another good question and one I can answer. I had read the same information you reference and was surprised when I heard the Yacht Club concierge suggest to passengers that they make reservations. Yes, you can make them with the YC concierge but not individual seats. Also, unlike Celebrity, there is no designated area for YC guests. Not having gone myself I cannot say much more but as I understood it the reservation just guaranteed you would receive a seat in the theater.

Hi JAGR,

Another good question and one I can answer. I had read the same information you reference and was surprised when I heard the Yacht Club concierge suggest to passengers that they make reservations. Yes, you can make them with the YC concierge but not individual seats. Also, unlike Celebrity, there is no designated area for YC guests. Not having gone myself I cannot say much more but as I understood it the reservation just guaranteed you would receive a seat in the theater.

Thanks again for all your info.

Thank you for your detailed review!

One question - can you access the YC Dining (LeMuse) from the cabin area of 18th floor, or only from the YC lounge where I have seen a picture of a double staircase leading up to the restaurant?

Hi Trina,

On Seaside you can access dining both from 18 and the lounge on deck 16. The dining room is on deck 18 so all you have to do is walk a short distance, literally a few steps away, for dining. Also, you can access it from the lounge on deck 16 via the staircase you reference. There is an elevator that you can access 18 and 19, near the concierge area as well.

For me, I liked being on 16. I walked down almost every evening for a drink while I waited for my wife and daughters to get ready for dinner.

One thing I forgot to mention and it's worth noting. I learned on our last sea day that the butlers served a formal tea every afternoon. I have done formal teas on Celebrity and MSC's put the Celebrity tea to shame. The butler pushes around a tea cart with a variety of very good loose leaf teas to choose from and they brew it for passengers individually in pots. The wait staff also deliver scones, cookies/biscuits and sandwiches on nice three tiered serving plates. My only regret is that I didn't learn about it earlier in the cruise.

One thing I forgot to mention and it's worth noting. I learned on our last sea day that the butlers served a formal tea every afternoon. I have done formal teas on Celebrity and MSC's put the Celebrity tea to shame. The butler pushes around a tea cart with a variety of very good loose leaf teas to choose from and they brew it for passengers individually in pots. The wait staff also deliver scones, cookies/biscuits and sandwiches on nice three tiered serving plates. My only regret is that I didn't learn about it earlier in the cruise.

What time is formal tea? That sounds wonderful! I don't want to miss that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What time is formal tea? That sounds wonderful! I don't want to miss that!

Well now, I wish I could answer that question. It was definitely after lunch and before dinner but... I had a couple of the super nice rocket fuel drinks they make in the lounge (and a couple at the pool earlier). For some reason I cannot remember. :o

Well now, I wish I could answer that question. It was definitely after lunch and before dinner but... I had a couple of the super nice rocket fuel drinks they make in the lounge (and a couple at the pool earlier). For some reason I cannot remember. :o

Lol! No worries! It is now on my radar so I will look for it. Thank you again for all the answers. Your review and responses are much appreciated!

My guess is ... 5pm.... that's when the Brits have tea time. :D

Thanks for the report, Mark.

We are new to MSC, and I’ve seen in several threads where folks are asking for recommendations on waitstaff. This is confusing. Can you request certain waiters in the YC? If so, do you have to do so every night? Thanks!

Thanks for the report, Mark.

We are new to MSC, and I’ve seen in several threads where folks are asking for recommendations on waitstaff. This is confusing. Can you request certain waiters in the YC? If so, do you have to do so every night? Thanks!

Sorry, that's one I cannot speak to. We just took the waiter they gave us each night. I do believe they try to continuously place you in particular areas though.

Hi JAGR,

Actually, that's all we would want.

We usually sit in the back so we can sneak out if we don't care for the show.

Mark, thank you for all your information. Could you tell us about the shopping on board? Did you venture out of the Yacht club area much? My husband seems to think we won't want to leave the Yacht club that often.

Thanks Again.

Shopping is similar to other ships with a higher end shop that sells handbags, usual clothing for men and women, another MSC shop, a Swarovski shop, a very large duty free shop and a selection of medium priced watches.

Also, every day they do a discount sale for a specific feeding frenzy shopping item. For example, cheaper handbags one day, watches another day, a selection of jewelry and other similar items another. If you have participated before then you know what I am talking about. Tables roped off until XX time when they let everyone attack.

As for venturing out, I can see your point and it's easy to camp in the Yacht Club. Some reasons. The chocolate, gelato, crepes, bars, entertainment. The outdoor areas are really pretty also, especially the bridge overhangs.

I really enjoyed your review thank you! Great job at answering all the questions as well. I'm sailing on SEASIDE in the YC on Saturday and your review has really helped boost my anticipation! As you know, reviews all around on the ship haven't been great.

Thanks as well for the tip on afternoon tea. I really enjoy this on Cunard and it will be interesting to experience it on MSC.

One more question for you ... at the pier for embarkation did you find the YC "tent" easy to locate and was check-in and getting on the ship easy and fast? Was your cabin ready right away?