Cuba Veendam

djhsolara

Copper, in the second image, is that a movie screen? And if so, is it still there? I don't remember seeing it in May, but I didn't spent a lot of time back there. I actually rather like the look in the first image, but water on unauthorized private tours of the ship is obviously not a good thing.

Just want to add my thanks for all of your helpful/useful info too, whether historical background, current ship's crew, company policy, and whatever else. I really miss your contributions to the board when you're at sea!

Copper, in the second image, is that a movie screen? And if so, is it still there? I don't remember seeing it in May, but I didn't spent a lot of time back there. I actually rather like the look in the first image, but water on unauthorized private tours of the ship is obviously not a good thing.

Just want to add my thanks for all of your helpful/useful info too, whether historical background, current ship's crew, company policy, and whatever else. I really miss your contributions to the board when you're at sea!

Evening Joekerstef; yes, that is in fact a giant LED movie screen. Veendam and Rotterdam VI are the only two ships that received the screen and they are still in place. When HAL first announced the SOE #2 upgrades in Aug 2008, all four "S"-class ships (plus the lead ship of the "R"-class, that being Rotterdam) were supposed to get the "Retreat Pool", Slice Pizzeria, aft bar, band stand, the LED screen and 31 new cabins on the butt however, after the many problems with the water in and out of the "poolette" (more so on Veendam than on Rotterdam) a decision was made to "can" the entire aft end project on the remaining three "S'es"

Thanks very much for the kind words! Take care and be safe!

Veendam Retreat Pool #1 - Did not work/water kept slushing out and making its way on an unauthorized private tour of the ship incl. the aft elevator shafts who were not amused

Best laugh of the day. Thanks Copper.

(At least they put that miserable plastic palm tree out of existence.)

I agree with several other posters - for a warm weather cruise such as a cruise to Cuba - especially in the summer - a ship with a dedicated second pool is a necessity. The Maasdam would have been the better choice. The Retreat on the Veendam just does not work. Having been on the same cruise to Bermuda as Sail7Seas last month, the Retreat was tolerable, but barely - and that is because we had three full days in Bermuda and did not spend any time there except for sea days.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankfuully, the movie screen was never used on the two Veendam cruises I took since it was installed. Who wants or needs more noise and it is likely they would have it sfreaming loud?Th at aft area has already been so destroyed, ImO, llast thing they need is a movie screen.

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you Copper 10-8. By the way I second others comments about the great information you share on these boards.

I read your comments about the Retreat to my husband and we had to laugh. We were on the Rotterdam on her first cruise out of dry dock with the poolette. Worse yet we had one of the new cabins on the deck below. We experienced water running down the walls in the halls, had a blow dryer permanently stationed outside our cabin door to try and dry the squishy carpet. I will take the Jacuzzis with the water corralled.

St Louis Sal

• 1 month later...

We are planning a Jewish tour of Havana on Veendam (Jan 22 cruise). I understand that there is another couple on this cruise considering the same. We've already consented to share the private tour. Can we get to know you either before the cruise or once on board. Reply and we'll try to get together.

My husband and I are looking into cruising to Cuba in Dec of this year. The itinerary is good but concerned about the ship, the veendam. Does anyone have any input?

Just off the Veendam last week. Crew is great, Capt (Irish) is outstanding, front office folks were excellent, food we good and not AC or plumbing issues. The only real downer is the lack of sea view pool.

I would sail on her again in a minute if it was doing a cruise that we wanted.