Service Dog

CrusinBrusin

I am taking my small service dog on her first cruise this Dec. I have someone in the Bahamas helping me with the paperwork. I'm concerned about her going to the potty. I have pee pads at home IF she needs them. But on the cruise I'm not so sure what she will be comfortable with.

I know when we are outside she only wants to potty on the grass only.

I saw, on a Carnival ship, a potty place probably for a dog. It was a good size square (for big dogs) near the bow on the deck outside the atrium. It had straw in it.There are no chaises or chairs here so passengers might walk by but no would would sit anywhere near it.

I have seen Seeing Eye dogs on ships and was told they had a place just for them to uses as a potty.

I am taking my small service dog on her first cruise this Dec. I have someone in the Bahamas helping me with the paperwork. I'm concerned about her going to the potty. I have pee pads at home IF she needs them. But on the cruise I'm not so sure what she will be comfortable with.

RC has a little astroturf type grassy area on the outside promenade for service animals.

You can also post on the Disabled Cruise Travel Forum for tips from members who also have a service dog.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?190https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?190

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a HUGE thread. I recommend that you read through it, OP. There is a ton of great information here.

Cruisin - as said please come post your questions here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728&page=966

10 years and almost 1000 pages of replies - you don't have to read the whole thing just ask and someone with knowledge about traveling with Service Dogs will jump in with the answers - the best and nicest people on Cruise Critic.

Depending on the cruise line, it could be mulch, straw, etc. It is placed in an out of the way spot, usually where passengers don't go. I wouldn't bring pee pads, because you would not want your dog to use them in the cabin nor would the next person using that cabin. You should call the cruise line and find out what they use and make a similar one at home and train your dog to use it. You might be surprised how easily your dog will pick it up, because I'd bet he/she was trained to use something similar when he/she was trained for her/his task.