Southern girl's ? warm wear

LindaKE

Living in the deep south, I'm really ignorant about how to dress for cold weather other than to dress in layers. Since winter wear down here is jeans, I was surprised to read on another thread that jeans are not warm to wear in winter. We are going on our Canada / New England cruise in October, and I understand it will probably be quite cool, especially on the water. I get cold easily so am trying to figure out what to pack. I know I'll be taking a jacket, but what will keep me warmest in the way of pants and tops? I found a pair of flannel lined jeans on eBay last year (there's no such thing in stores down here) and ended up wearing them most of the winter, but they are really bulky to pack. Would a fleece suit with Cuddle Duds and a top be considered warm? I could wear it without the Cuddle Duds on the plane, so it would be less to pack. Would a nice fleece suit (pants without ribbed cuffs and button jacket) be acceptable to wear in the dining room the first night if luggage isn't delivered in time? It's NCL, so the dress code is more relaxed.

Being a Canadian, I can comment on our area. I suggest layers. Jeans, track pants, dress slacks sweaters, short sleeved tops that can be covered is fine. October here in the southern area is nice in October. We call it the Indian summer. Sometimes we wear shorts and sometimes not. The weather here can be very unpredictable. So in short bring comfy cloths but dress for all seasons.

Happy sailing. :)

I don't think you'll need flannel-lined jeans...it's not arctic weather---just cool!!!! You'll probably want a jacket, and bring some long sleeves to layer over a tee....

Don't forget, you can go INSIDE the ship--it has heat!!!!

Living in the deep south, I'm really ignorant about how to dress for cold weather other than to dress in layers. Since winter wear down here is jeans, I was surprised to read on another thread that jeans are not warm to wear in winter. We are going on our Canada / New England cruise in October, and I understand it will probably be quite cool, especially on the water. I get cold easily so am trying to figure out what to pack. I know I'll be taking a jacket, but what will keep me warmest in the way of pants and tops? I found a pair of flannel lined jeans on eBay last year (there's no such thing in stores down here) and ended up wearing them most of the winter, but they are really bulky to pack. Would a fleece suit with Cuddle Duds and a top be considered warm? I could wear it without the Cuddle Duds on the plane, so it would be less to pack. Would a nice fleece suit (pants without ribbed cuffs and button jacket) be acceptable to wear in the dining room the first night if luggage isn't delivered in time? It's NCL, so the dress code is more relaxed.

Hi Linda,:) I am in Jacksonville...the humidity capital down here:eek:

but I do own jeans....lots of them LOL....and I have gone to

Alaska twice and will be going again next month. Everyone has

their own views on what is warm and what is easy. I have jeans

that are very soft ..they are not bulky and for daytime I always

wear them on cold weather cruises.

Actually I want to do your itinerary one day....the ports sound

marvelous!:D

I also bring socks:) and I do the layering thing on Alaska too.

Hope you have a great time!

I'm from Canada but live in Florida now. My blood has cooled considerably so when we go "home" in the fall, I always have to plan for every possibility!

It could be beautiful and warm - mid 70s or higher. But it could be downright cold - freezing at night. If it rains you will find it really chilly.

We used to ski in jeans, but the problem is that they don't really warm your body much. They stop the wind, but that's about it. You could wear long johns or tights underneath jeans, that does help. But I don't bother with jeans much myself. I'd go with a twill, wool or flannel pant. Those track suits don't add that much warmth, and they're not very versatile. Wool is really fantastic - it looks nice, packs well and can handle many different temperature points. Wool pants work day to evening also.

For tops, bring everything from short-sleeved to long sleeved, to button down, along with some sort of jacket that breaks the wind. You can wear a jacket with a t-shirt on warmish days, or layer it all up if it is very cold. Make sure everything works well with many items as you don't want to carry too much stuff!

Three things that I find are absolutely essential for fighting the cold are:

- a scarf (wrap it around your head, around your shoulders, or your neck. A "pashmina" works well because you can wear it on the ship in the evening as a wrap.

- a pair of gloves --- oh my gosh but they can make a difference!

- a pair of closed-toed shoes. Leather is warmer than canvas.

If your feet, neck and hands are warm you'll be able to handle much cooler weather.

But as BABYPOO said, you could have almost anything at that time of year.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

As someone from the "deep South" also who had to live in NY for 4 years:

October isn't that cold, so don't worry unduly.

Jeans, by themselves are not that warm, but pair them with silk underwear (or Cuddle Duds) and/or knee socks and you'll be plenty warm.

I agree that when the weather is really cold, nothing keeps you warm like wool. I wouldn't bother with the flannel lined jeans. Just get a nice pair of wool trousers; they don't have to be heavy. I used to be able to buy these even in south Georgia, so I can't believe you couldn't find them in Alabama.... If not, LL Bean used to sell some called "weekend wool" pants that are not too dressy and not too casual; that is, you could wear them all day and/or wear them to casual dinners.

October is the time to bring out the unlined leather ankle boots and socks! I love fall!

I find regular jeans warm enough in the dead of winter, so maybe I shouldn't be offering advice... (But I will anyway, of course! ;) )

My recommendation would be to invest in one nice, lightweight crew or v-neck sweater in a natural fibre like wool (which offers comfort in a wider variety of temperatures) and wear it over blouses and tshirts (or both). Again, a light windbreaker can also make a huge difference and isn't heavy to carry if you need to remove it. Then you can wear them all in the morning if it's chill and just take off layers during the day as it warms up. I'd also bring a collapsible umbrella and a big tote-type purse to carry it all! If you are going to wear a scarf and gloves, make it a fashionable woven scarf, and silk-lined leather gloves. Canadians are pretty polite, in general, but you might get some smirks if you wear a knit scarf and mitts and look like you are preparing for a dog-sled race! :D I work at a university, and many of the students wear flip-flops and shorts until the first snowfall. (here that's late November/early December) Mind you, they also wear pajama bottoms and fuzzy slippers to class, so we're talking about people with some funny ideas!

The pantyhose trick is one used by hockey players for low-bulk warmth under their padding!

If you take any sort of water tour, bundle up!

The hardest one is evenings. If you like to go for an evening stroll around the promenade and you are easily chilled, you might want to buy one of those big wraps. I can't think of what they are called...can anyone help out? They are sort of a cross between a big shawl and a cape. I made one from some website instructions...they called it a pareo, but I don't think that's right. Either way, it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.fashion-era.com/Coats_history/the_pareo_sewing_pattern.htm

It's something that can go day to evening, and if you can't find one in your local stores, you can make one with these instructions out of a lovely suit-weight wool or wool/cashmere pretty cheaply. (I used plates to mark the curves)

Thank you everyone, for the tips and advice. We do have one water tour at La Baie. That was my particular concern, because I know it is always colder on the water. I'm going shopping with your suggestions in hand. (We've got a back-to-school sales tax holiday this weekend, so it would be great if I can get that discount too.)

I would suggest buying silk long johns - if not the whole set, then just the top. You can buy them from L.L. Bean or Winter Silks. We live in SC and for our cruise to Iceland, Greenland, etc., the top was an ideal first layer under my silk/cashmere sweaters. I took the bottoms, but only wore them for one day. The best part about the silk ones is that they take up no space in your luggage. I also endorse pantihose if you don't want to invest in the bottoms. Believe it or not, they really make a difference. Socks, a hat and gloves are also essentials. You may not need them, but I was a Girl Scout - Be Prepared.

As someone from the "deep South" also who had to live in NY for 4 years:

October isn't that cold, so don't worry unduly.

Jeans, by themselves are not that warm, but pair them with silk underwear (or Cuddle Duds) and/or knee socks and you'll be plenty warm.

I agree that when the weather is really cold, nothing keeps you warm like wool. I wouldn't bother with the flannel lined jeans. Just get a nice pair of wool trousers; they don't have to be heavy. I used to be able to buy these even in south Georgia, so I can't believe you couldn't find them in Alabama.... If not, LL Bean used to sell some called "weekend wool" pants that are not too dressy and not too casual; that is, you could wear them all day and/or wear them to casual dinners.

I completely agree (a southern girl who lived in Ohio for two years and has had extended vistits to Buffalo, where DH's family lives).

The secret to staying warm is the underlayer. I LOVE cuddle duds. You can find them at Penney's and other department stores such as Belk's ro Dillard's.

Also, I vote for the wool pants as well. They are warm, but breathe so you don't get overheated. Lands End has them too.

Just looking online, the only washable pants I find are a blend with wool as one of the fabrics. Would a wool blend be warmer enough to make a difference?

I have some Cuddle Duds. Online I find silk long underwear listed as lightweight, midweight and heavy weight. Would one of three weights correspond to Cuddle Duds in warmth?

I'm not sure if these will be necessary, but here are my fav things to keep me warm during NJ's cold winters.. I LOVE earmuffs. I have cashmere burberry ones with shearling on the actual part that touches your ear. I imagine these may not be needed in October, but then again if the weather can be unpredictable.

And, I think that mittens are 100x warmer than gloves. So I would definitly pack a pair.

And last but not least, some shearling boots might be nice if you'll be outside a lot during the day. My Uggs are probably the warmest shoes I own. They're not my fav look, but they are warm.

Happy shopping & packing. Have a great cruise.

I would agree that jeans will be fine. We've had warm weather here in Wisconsin in October, and I would overheat in lined jeans! I always dress in layers--my black J Crew cardigan was the best purchase I ever made. I can wear it with jeans, but also with nice pants, or over a dress. A nice cashmere sweater is also perfect for that kind of weather. I also got a great black scarf/wrap at Target for about $13 that I love--I would highly suggest something similar. A waterproof windbreaker is also a must, and a hoodie/sweatshirt is also a good thing to bring. Finally, instead of nylons, you may think about wearing tights or leggings under your jeans if you want to wear something underneath. This way they can do double duty--you can wear the tights with a dress/skirt to dinner, or leggings when you're in your cabin.

It will beautiful up there when you go, and don't worry about being too cold. The tips you've received are excellent. Have a great time!

It's October, not January, so unless you are extremely cold-blooded, the cooler days will probably be about like your Southern cooler winter days. If you bring along what you wear on your colder winter days, it should be about right if the weather on the cruise is cool. (I'd leave the lined jeans at home though; regular jeans should be just fine for October.)

Do bring layers, gloves and a hat, especially for water excursions. For me, wool would be overkill for October, except possibly if you'll be outside in the evening.

Remember that you may have some warm to hot days as well; 70's and 80's are possible; Indian Summer can be very warm, so pack accordingly.

Before you end up having to bring a steamer trunk, what is the date in October for your cruise?

I admit there can be quite a difference between the temperatures at the beginning of the month and those at the end of the month.

I'd check the actual historical temperatures (in farenheit) at your ports of call for those actual dates in the last two or three years. Check the high and low. You'll feel the high temperatures from about 11 am until the sun goes down...the low temperature will be the middle of the night, and mornings and evenings will be somewhere in between.

If you let us know the dates, I'd be happy to look that up for you.

Our cruise in Oct. 9 to Oct. 16th, Boston to Quebec. I've looked up the average max. temps and found anywhere from mid fifties to mid sixties. While that gives some idea of what to expect, being on or very close to the water makes it feel colder than the temperature reads. I found this out the hard way on our Alaskan cruise where I froze everywhere but inside the ship. We are taking a water tour on the Sanguenay and maybe one other. Down here I wear a coat and am still cold when everyone else thinks it's cool wearing only long sleeves.

I can't speak for Canada but I can tell you about what I wear in cold weather. When it's really cold here in winter, I sometimes put tights on underneath my jeans/dress pants. That really helps keep the heat in. For casual, socks and closed toed shoes. For tops, layering is good. In winter/late fall, I may only need a t-shirt or I may need a t-shirt and a scarf. I may wear a top or sweater layered with a tank top. I may add a scarf. Hoodies or light jackets are good. I try not to pull out my jeavy coat until Thanksgiving if I can and can usually get by with a leather jacket or some other fall jacket. I usually have a pair of gloves and hats are good for when it's really cold (i.e. below freezing), but I wouldn't think early October would be that bad.

I do know that it all depends on what you're used to. One of my mom's friends from high school lives in the SW now. Her girls have always lived there. They came up here one time in August and were wearing sweaters and sweatshirts while I was wearing a t-shirt. (It was maybe 60 or 70). So I would say be prepared but you probably don't need to bring flannel lined jeans! Just throw a pair of tights or something in just in case.

Thank you everyone for all the advice and suggestions. I've been shopping and got 2 pairs of washable wool blend slacks and a wool sweater that will go with both. For when it's cold, like on the water tour, I've got cuddle duds (top and bottom), hose/tights for under the slacks, and a pashima. I plan to dress the slacks both up and down, so they will work for both day and night, and am trying to color coordinate so I don't have to pack the steamer trunk. I'm hoping that this plus some tops will cover my wardrobe for the cruise.

My daughter is loaning me some Isotoner gloves that she got for a trip to the Alps and was warm in. I'm still debating which jacket and shoes (definitely leather with closed toe) to take. It may be overkill to some of you, but I do get cold easily. I'm feeling much more relaxed now that I have a plan. Thanks again!

P.S. If anyone thinks of tips not mentioned, I'll welcome that too.

As far as a jacket, you may want to consider something with a zip in liner that you can remove or else plan on having a light jacket with a sweatshirt or sweater. I really do think that layers are the key, especially if you're not used to the climate.

Archived