Cruise Ship Industry 'left Out In The Cold'

Kiwi_cruiser

Tuesday October 26, 2010

The cruise ship industry is feeling left out in the cold after plans for Auckland's 'party central' failed to address major upgrade needs for cruise ships berthing in the city.

Rugby World Cup Minister Murray McCully and Prime Minister John Key revealed the $9.8 million plans for Auckland's Queen's Wharf on Monday.

However the plans have failed to impress Cruise NZ, the advocacy body of New Zealand's cruise sector, as there was no provision for a new waterfront cruise ship terminal.

Chief executive Craig Harris told TV ONE's Breakfast that the current Princess Wharf terminal is too small and not fit for the purpose.

"It was built when we had ships with 600 passengers and now we have ships with 2500 passengers."

He said the industry was fed up with using the dilapidated old shed on Queen's Wharf as a standby arrival lounge for inbound passengers.

Harris said there are no adequate bathroom facilities, no adequate covered areas for passengers and the terminal is not cleaned up to a gold class standard.

He fears cruise ship companies will soon start questioning the credibility of Auckland.

Read more....

Source: TVNZ

Video:

May be it is the 'aftershocks in the Christchurch region that are the problem, still getting 3 or 4 good shocks a day, 8 weeks after the 'big one.' Have a look at NZ Earthquake site, GeoNet

Certainly tourism is down in the region.

That has nothing to do with Auckland's dismal cruise terminal.

In NZ at present there is More concern is for the Rugby World Cup (which despite what is said many of us kiwis couldn't care less about) than there is for a new CRUISE TERMINAL.

The NZ Rugby Union has historically been so arrogant and it troubles me when our politicians think more about these male dominated events, often at the expense of the rest of the community.

My deceased father coached and managed teams/grades under 21 years for 5-6 years, (some 25-30 years ago)

but unfortunately the money the Rugby Union has made in previous decades has not trickled down to the grassroots.

John Key (our PM) will keep pressing the Auckland Regional Authorities,for action in developing a new Terminal

as he in in charge of the TOURISM port folio.

Auckland is the point of entry into NZ for most cruise ships, I was there on Regal Princess in 2007. One would think that the NZ Govt would contribute to a new Cruise Terminal, after all, look how many NZ dollars they have saved by just about exterminating the NZ Defence Force.

Auckland is the point of entry into NZ for most cruise ships, I was there on Regal Princess in 2007. One would think that the NZ Govt would contribute to a new Cruise Terminal, after all, look how many NZ dollars they have saved by just about exterminating the NZ Defence Force.

They will but it has to be planned with Auckland Council etc and the timing is just not quite right,

You missed my point that Rugby World Cup at present is overshadowing everything else.

Our Prime Minister wants a new cruise terminal but he has to work with Auckland councillors etc

Oysterfiend, I agree with you..too much money put into Rugby Union and not enough into other pressing facilities that will BRING much needed tourism dollars in to NZ, i.e. the Auckland Cruise Terminal.

Good luck.

My question is to the various cruisers on here, many of who have been on more than 1 cruise.

Is the current terminal not up to scratch? Have you as a passenger thought that things are shabby/ should be better?

Or are the cruise companies trying to do a 'Warner Bros' on us? :)

Also, you have to remember that the number of people who play/ follow rugby in NZ are HUGE. Its considered one of the hallmarks of being a Kiwi (from an immigrant viewpoint). Cruising on the other hand is relatively new.

Maybe the best thing for Cruise Companies would be to give some powerful people a 'short break' cruise gift and then once they are hooked on cruising they will give the matter more serious thought :)

Ok that almost soudns like bribery! :( But what I am trying to say is, once it is personal, it might get more attention from the powers that be.

My question is to the various cruisers on here, many of who have been on more than 1 cruise.

Is the current terminal not up to scratch? Have you as a passenger thought that things are shabby/ should be better?

Or are the cruise companies trying to do a 'Warner Bros' on us? :)

Also, you have to remember that the number of people who play/ follow rugby in NZ are HUGE. Its considered one of the hallmarks of being a Kiwi (from an immigrant viewpoint). Cruising on the other hand is relatively new.

Maybe the best thing for Cruise Companies would be to give some powerful people a 'short break' cruise gift and then once they are hooked on cruising they will give the matter more serious thought :)

Ok that almost soudns like bribery! :( But what I am trying to say is, once it is personal, it might get more attention from the powers that be.

I am a KIWI through and through and RUGBY for me is NOT a hallmark of being a kiwi.

My County's essence goes way beyond what any rugby game can offer.

I take offence to that- and I would hate to think that is how immigrants perceive us all.

If that is the case I am SADDENED:mad:

I have only docked in Auckland once. This was for a port of call. I had no issues with the berthing there - the position is VERY convenient. Admittedly, the building at the berth is a big old warehouse style thingie - but it did the job (we just walked through it).

Unless Auckland becomes a turnaround port, I think it would be a waste of money to build an advanced modern terminal.

Barry

I have only docked in Auckland once. This was for a port of call. I had no issues with the berthing there - the position is VERY convenient. Admittedly, the building at the berth is a big old warehouse style thingie - but it did the job (we just walked through it).

Unless Auckland becomes a turnaround port, I think it would be a waste of money to build an advanced modern terminal.

Barry

I agree Barry, maybe Auckland berth is adequate, do they ever have more than one cruise ship in at a time ? I doubt it. Therein lies the answer.

Instead of a new cruise terminal, NZ should buy some fighter aircraft, they have none.

I agree Barry, maybe Auckland berth is adequate, do they ever have more than one cruise ship in at a time ? I doubt it. Therein lies the answer.

Instead of a new cruise terminal, NZ should buy some fighter aircraft, they have none.

Thats incorrect or was until just recently- we do have some in a warehouse somewhere- the fact that they are now useless to us is another issue.

It seems to bug you that our Labour Government ran our military down.

Many NZ 's are equally unhappy about this- hopefully the National Govermnent will take some notice of the FORCES concerns.

Be mindful we have a population of slightly over 4 million.

Australia's population is 22 million plus.

A tidy up of the Cruise terminal area wouldn't go a miss and hopefully more ships will come down our way.

I'd love for there to be more options to sail out of Auckland.

Oysterfiend, I agree with you..too much money put into Rugby Union and not enough into other pressing facilities that will BRING much needed tourism dollars in to NZ, i.e. the Auckland Cruise Terminal.

Good luck.

Yes ,

It really irks me that we are all perceived as Rugby,Racing, Beer drinking oinkers.

I have no problem with the beer drinking,

but the rugby and the racing - I can pass on that.:)

We are surrounded by sea and did buy some new Naval ships from Australia, but they keep breaking down. Perhaps once we get them up and running we could look at the air force.:rolleyes:

And Yes the present Auckland Terminal is adequate for the moment, but we must look to the future.

It copes with what it has to do , but does not provide enough area to service the ever increasing number of ships that use Auckland as a turnaround point.

Present wharf facilities can handle up to 3 cruise ships , and on several occasions we have had 2 at the same time.

Queens Wharf then comes into play, and this is the one they are looking to upgrade,and go charging into the future with confidence.

Oysterfiend & Kiwi Kruzer/Cruiser, don't be too hard on me, just stating the facts, remember the Anzac Spirit, go the Wallabies, go the All Blacks, and a new cruise terminal at Auckland too, one day. We all have the US of A to guard us from the foe.

God Bless New Zealand !

Oysterfiend & Kiwi Kruzer/Cruiser, don't be too hard on me, just stating the facts, remember the Anzac Spirit, go the Wallabies, go the All Blacks, and a new cruise terminal at Auckland too, one day. We all have the US of A to guard us from the foe.

God Bless New Zealand !

A lot of Anzac spirit was lost when the Labour Government ground down our Forces.

It may be a fact but we don't need to be needled about it.

Our guys do their bit overseas considering their numbers.

We have a new Government now so we shall have to wait and see.

As for the USA- we all want them when we are in need but we don't like be bullied by them.

We actually love all the Aussies and Americans that have been travelling over to NZ this year.

We have had so many of them come into our accommodation business this year-

Keep on coming- we don't mind your tourist dollar.;)

We are coming to Aussie twice next year- 3 and Half weeks in Brisbane and Coolangatta, May

and then again in August September- Western Australia.

We have been very frequent travellers to Australia in the last 17 years and have certainly done our bit for the Aussie Economy over the years.:)

Wouldn't it be great for us if we could start a WINTER cruise in AUCKLAND and end it in Auckland that didn't go to the Islands- instead of having to fly to Sydney.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be great for us if we could start a WINTER cruise in AUCKLAND and end it in Auckland that didn't go to the Islands- instead of having to fly to Sydney.:rolleyes:

Agree on that one:)

What we need from NZ are more cruises like this .

I believe this is Sold Out, and the Wait List is about to close.

If someone from P&O Australia is reading this board .....

Please , please , pretty pretty please , put on more cruises that do this itinerary.

Pacific Pearl, Sunshine Odyssey

P118 ex Auckland Return

15th May 2011

cruise_37_1257456401.jpg

Day Port Arrive Depart

1 Auckland, New Zealand 4.00pm

2 At Sea

3 Norfolk Island 8.00am 5.00pm

4 At Sea

5 At Sea

6 At Sea

7 Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia 8.00am 4.00pm

8 Yorkeys Knob, Cairns, Queensland, Australia 8.30am 6.00pm

9 Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia 8.00am 5.00pm

10 Townsville, Queensland, Australia 8.00am 4.00pm

11 At Sea

12 Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 8.00am 6.00pm

13 At Sea

14 At Sea

15 At Sea

16 Auckland, New Zealand 7.00am

A lot of Anzac spirit was lost when the Labour Government ground down our Forces.

It may be a fact but we don't need to be needled about it.

Our guys do their bit overseas considering their numbers.

We have a new Government now so we shall have to wait and see.

As for the USA- we all want them when we are in need but we don't like be bullied by them.

We actually love all the Aussies and Americans that have been travelling over to NZ this year.

We have had so many of them come into our accommodation business this year-

Keep on coming- we don't mind your tourist dollar.;)

We are coming to Aussie twice next year- 3 and Half weeks in Brisbane and Coolangatta, May

and then again in August September- Western Australia.

We have been very frequent travellers to Australia in the last 17 years and have certainly done our bit for the Aussie Economy over the years.:)

Also a lot of Kiwis left NZ for Australia because of your previous Govt.

Hopefully your new Govt can turn things around. I also see that your GST has now gone to 15%, ouch!

Please , please , pretty pretty please , put on more cruises that do this itinerary.

P118 ex Auckland Return

15th May 2011

cruise_37_1257456401.jpg

Day Port Arrive Depart

2 At Sea

4 At Sea

5 At Sea

6 At Sea

11 At Sea

13 At Sea

14 At Sea

15 At Sea

With it all sold out its a good thing that we will be eating PRAWNS in Brisbane and Coolangatta for most of May,2011.

A cruise to Melbourne and Tasmania from Auckland and back appeals to me but Not during the middle of summer because we are too busy then.

I looked at the one from Sydney 1st march 2012 but in reality with our time share week we can spend three - 4 weeks around Melbourne and Tassie for far less.

Haven't been to Tasmania for about 12 years and would love to go back.

Or go to Different islands!, there is only so many time that you can go to Mystery Island, Lifou, and Isle of Pines.

Port Vila and Noumea are OK, as they are big enough and have lots to do on them.

Although I will give P&O some credit as from Auckland they are going to Pentecoste on the 30 May 2011, but that's the last port of call and they are going to Lifou, Port Vila and Noumea before Pentecoste.

And it would be nice if they did some more Tonga and Fiji Cruises like this one

oysterfiend, I guess you have not heard, but your going to have to fly to Australia in Winter 2012 to do a cruise, as P&O are not sailing from Auckland in Winter 2012 :(

P118 ex Auckland Return

15th May 2011

cruise_37_1257456401.jpg

Day Port Arrive Depart

2 At Sea

4 At Sea

5 At Sea

6 At Sea

11 At Sea

13 At Sea

14 At Sea

15 At Sea

That's a nice itinerary, we did that back in February 2008 (We did not call at Norfolk Island although) on the Pacific Star's last cruise, we had a lot of fun!.

Or go to Different islands!, there is only so many time that you can go to Mystery Island, Lifou, and Isle of Pines.

Port Vila and Noumea are OK, as they are big enough and have lots to do on them.

Although I will give P&O some credit as from Auckland they are going to Pentecoste on the 30 May 2011, but that's the last port of call and they are going to Lifou, Port Vila and Noumea before Pentecoste.

And it would be nice if they did some more Tonga and Fiji Cruises like this one

oysterfiend, I guess you have not heard, but your going to have to fly to Australia in Winter 2012 to do a cruise, as P&O are not sailing from Auckland in Winter 2012 :(

That's a nice itinerary, we did that back in February 2008 (We did not call at Norfolk Island although) on the Pacific Star's last cruise, we had a lot of fun!.

They just don't get it-Lets have more cruises from Auckland in the winter and something new.

Tonga would be great

Archived