Oceania VS Other Lines -- Prices

kelmac

First let me say, I love Oceania and I really love their cuisine. My first cruise was on the Regatta "Caribbean Pearls" Holiday cruise 2009.

I just booked the Marina for the Holiday cruise 2011.

We travel eight to ten weeks during the year and try to cruise three or four times a year. I'm semi-retired and my wife is a teacher; we make travel our number one priority and we do have to budget to make all this happen.

Having said all that -- here is what I notice:

-- Oceania is pretty expensive compared to mass market and premium cruise lines.(for good reason) Off-season and summer cruise prices are up there.

-- During the X-mas and New Year's season most cruise lines jack their prices as demand increases. Oceania is just the opposite -- seems their holiday cruises are a bargain compared to other times during the year.

Maybe Oceania's very loyal clientele avoid the holidays for a variety of reasons? (maybe a few kids onboard?; they always spend the holidays with family?; never fly during the hectic holiday season? Maybe the Caribbean is passe?)

Anyone else notice this?

Kel:)

We do not cruise on the mass market lines anymore so never noticed

Some other premium/deluxe lines are now the same or more $$ than O

Things in general are more expensive

Our gas was $1.10 L ($4.15 Gal) the other day for regular

I think the Holiday cruises seem to be mostly waitlisted so not sure on your comments there

Lyn

I think the crowd on the holiday cruises on Oceania is not the one we encounter off season. We have spoken to many who do not want children on their vacations so this may be one reason. We also never do the Caribbean

for lack of European charm and culture, prefer the Med and Baltic.

As for prices, since we don't look at very many other cruise lines due to smoking and children policies, we have only encountered the normal increases

for the cruises we book.:)

It is sort of hard to compare pricing on Oceania with pricing on "large ship" lines...

Better to compare it with Azamara, Regent, Crystal, etc.

The economies of running a "large ship" line are different...So are the pricing strategies...

In the case of holiday pricing, I don't think it's as much a case of those lines jacking up their prices at holiday time as much as it is of discounting prices the rest of the year...It is hard to fill up that many cabins year round...but they have a big demand over the summer...and over winter break (Think, families, childrens' programs, school vacations, etc.), so, whereas you'll find a cruise for, say, November or February fairly cheap, they have no trouble filling up ships for the summer seasons and less of a problem filling them over Christmas and New Years...Laws of supply and demand apply...

Oceania's demographic, demand and ship size is different...The ships don't fill or not fill based on school vacations...and it's easier to fill the fewer cabins...

Another difference is that most big ship lines repeat the same itinerary over and over...a Carnival or Royal Caribbean or Princess ship may spend entire seasons or entire years doing the same route EVERY week...Oceania's ships generally do a completely different itinerary every cruise...So, the demand is for each particular itinerary, not for whichever week one wants to do that repeated itinerary...Want to do the Istanbul to Athens Black Sea route? You need to do it the week they offer it...the next week the same ship is doing Athens to Barcelona, the following cruise, it's Barcelona to Dover...So, the demand is for the cruise, not the timing...People don't say "I am going Christmas week wherever they may be"...

It is sort of hard to compare pricing on Oceania with pricing on "large ship" lines...

Better to compare it with Azamara, Regent, Crystal, etc.

The economies of running a "large ship" line are different...So are the pricing strategies...

In the case of holiday pricing, I don't think it's as much a case of those lines jacking up their prices at holiday time as much as it is of discounting prices the rest of the year...It is hard to fill up that many cabins year round...but they have a big demand over the summer...and over winter break (Think, families, childrens' programs, school vacations, etc.), so, whereas you'll find a cruise for, say, November or February fairly cheap, they have no trouble filling up ships for the summer seasons and less of a problem filling them over Christmas and New Years...Laws of supply and demand apply...

Oceania's demographic, demand and ship size is different...The ships don't fill or not fill based on school vacations...and it's easier to fill the fewer cabins...

Another difference is that most big ship lines repeat the same itinerary over and over...a Carnival or Royal Caribbean or Princess ship may spend entire seasons or entire years doing the same route EVERY week...Oceania's ships generally do a completely different itinerary every cruise...So, the demand is for each particular itinerary, not for whichever week one wants to do that repeated itinerary...Want to do the Istanbul to Athens Black Sea route? You need to do it the week they offer it...the next week the same ship is doing Athens to Barcelona, the following cruise, it's Barcelona to Dover...So, the demand is for the cruise, not the timing...People don't say "I am going Christmas week wherever they may be"...

Hi Steve,

I get your point and I agree. Needs of the typical Oceania guest differ from your typical mass market cruiser.

In our case, we cruise every winter break to some where warm (living in the high desert + my wife's school schedule).

So, I'm always looking for a Holiday Cruise every year (well since 2002).

Some options next year:

--12 day cruise on Celebrity's Silhoette -- $2,279 inside cabin ($190 p/p per day)

--14 day cruise on HAL's Prinsendam -- $2,799 inside cabin ($200 p/p per day)

--14 day cruise on Coral Princess -- $2,349 inside cabin ($168 p/p per day)

-- 9 day cruise on RCCL's Allure of the Seas -- $1,999 inside cabin ($222 p/p per day)

--12 day cruise on Oceania's Marina -- $2,499 inside cabin ($208 p/p per day)

I booked the Marina for much less than the $2,499 amount; so we get to cruise a luxury line at mass market prices.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Seems to me that Oceania prices have risen to that of Seabourn, Regent & other luxury, all inclusive lines. Why someone would pay the same money for Oceania, as good as they may be, as they would for a Premium Line is beyond me. If I could get a Camry & a Mercedes at the same price, the choice would be easy. And I wouldn't have to tip the salesman!

All huge outside suites with stocked bar, open bars throughout, personalized service, no charge wine with meals, caviar, meals by world class chefs, no tipping etc. etc., all extras on Oceania, are included. It just boggles my mind. Oceania is either doing something so great that I can't grasp it, or they are on their way to pricing themselves out of business. There comes a point where moving to a luxury line just makes sense.

Seems to me that Oceania prices have risen to that of Seabourn, Regent & other luxury, all inclusive lines. Why someone would pay the same money for Oceania, as good as they may be, as they would for a Premium Line is beyond me. If I could get a Camry & a Mercedes at the same price, the choice would be easy. And I wouldn't have to tip the salesman!

All huge outside suites with stocked bar, open bars throughout, personalized service, no charge wine with meals, caviar, meals by world class chefs, no tipping etc. etc., all extras on Oceania, are included. It just boggles my mind. Oceania is either doing something so great that I can't grasp it, or they are on their way to pricing themselves out of business. There comes a point where moving to a luxury line just makes sense.

It also depends on your bar tab.

In our case it is $0 as we only drink soft drinks. However, we occasionally cruise with Silversea (and will try Regent and Seabourn as well in the future), but it definitely costs more than Oceania. We do it because we like to try different cruise lines and have enjoyed Silversea (service, food, cabins, etc). But it always costs more (at least for us) than Oceania and most of the time Oceania is just the perfect fit for us. Normally I cannot see paying Regent prices when I will not drink nor use their excursions as we prefer to do our own; and as you know, they may be included, but they are not free....

Case in point:

Seabourn has a cruise next September from Quebec City to NYC that is $452/pp/day. Oceania has a reverse itinerary a week later (longer and better) but the per diem price is $365. So the prices for us are not the same. If you drink close to $100/pp worth of alcohol each and every day, then they are the same.

Other times it may be Princess, for example, because of their itineraries (like circumnavigation of Australia that no other cruise line offers, AFAIK).

There is a cruise line out there to please everyone and cater to everyone's needs and preferences.

I guess it comes down to your needs/wants

we do not drink very much do not do ships excursions, do not eat caviar, my TA gives us pre paid Grats, we do not spend a lot of time in the cabin.

We like O for many reasons

It is a good thing we have choices it would be bad for us if all cruise lines were the same ;)

Lyn

...Seems to me that Oceania prices have risen to that of Seabourn, Regent & other luxury, all inclusive lines. Why someone would pay the same money for Oceania, as good as they may be, as they would for a Premium Line is beyond me. ...

That might be true if one is comparing, say, a penthouse on Oceania compared to a standard, basic suite on Regent, in order to get a similar size. But, a standard balcony cabin on Oceania is considerably less money than a standard suite on Regent for most itineraries. O's standard cabins are also quite a bit smaller than R's suites (although the difference is less on Marina), but if price is more important than adequate space (as it is to us), then Oceania is usually as much as half the cost as Regent (~$400 per diem vs. ~ $800).

I've never priced the other luxury lines, as I do not contemplate cruising on any of them regardless of the cost. Only Oceania and Regent offer the casual dress and smoking policies that I prefer.

The really nice thing about Oceania is that you can book a small cabin and get the great experience for less than a luxury line. But as stated previously, a PH on Oceania is pretty much up there with the lux lines without the tips and alcohol

Hondorner,

You should check the dress codes on Seabourn. They have become much more casual than they used to be.

Hondorner,

You should check the dress codes on Seabourn. They have become much more casual than they used to be.

Dress code is only part of it. Seabourn permits smoking in staterooms, on balcony on those ships that have them, and anywhere on deck including cigar and pipe smoking. That's a deal breaker for us.

Dress code is only part of it. Seabourn permits smoking in staterooms, on balcony on those ships that have them, and anywhere on deck including cigar and pipe smoking. That's a deal breaker for us.

For us, too, sadly so. They have a cruise next autumn which would make a perfect B2B with a Canada/New England cruise we have booked on the Regatta.

I wonder how much it would cost to charter that Seabourn voyage and fill it with nonsmokers (and rules favorable to non-smokers, of course, as well as dress codes we'd prefer)?

For us, too, sadly so. They have a cruise next autumn which would make a perfect B2B with a Canada/New England cruise we have booked on the Regatta.

I wonder how much it would cost to charter that Seabourn voyage and fill it with nonsmokers (and rules favorable to non-smokers, of course, as well as dress codes we'd prefer)?

I will let you know just how bad the smoking is (I hope not too bad), as we decided to book the B2B.

Hondorner,

What Seabourn permits and what actually takes place is not the same. In my 200 plus days on Seabourn I have only been bothered by smoke twice, once indoors and once outdoors. But if it is really an important factor you should definitely not sail with them because you are not guaranteed anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going on Oceania for the first time on the Marina Maiden Voyage. I am still confused about what is so special about it. It seems like you would really spend some money on extras compared to the other lines. I have been on about 60 cruises including Regent. I would say that Celebrity and RCL really have some great amentities for repeat cruisers and suite guests. I still don't understand what all the hype is about the CC class. You arrange your tours and dinning on-line before you leave. They apparently do not serve any refreshments in the lounge.

I am going on Oceania for the first time on the Marina Maiden Voyage. I am still confused about what is so special about it. It seems like you would really spend some money on extras compared to the other lines.

What other lines are you comparing to?

Celebrity & RCL charge for drinks, excursions, soft drinks not sure if they charge for cappuccino or is it a perk for repeat cruisers?

Lyn

Archived