1-5 star Mariners: What "days" does HAL count??

localady

I had a confusing response, reportedly confirmed by Seattle, while on our last cruise about how HAL counts our cruise days.

My DH had well over 200 days by the computations HAL shows me online by our 3rd day of a 37 day, 3 segment cruise made with 2 separate reservations. HAL's online cruise day figure included days that were earned sailing as well as those that were from suite credits or onboard spending.

I enquired at the front desk about DH receiving his 4 star for the last portion of the cruise and was told that he was not near 4 star as they on count ON BOARD days, not the other suite or onboard spending-accured days. By that count he would have his 4 star at the end of the final cruise.

It really was silly so I didn't pursue it. But, I have to admit I am very confused. :rolleyes: So I ask my fellow cruisers, what days is HAL counting for the Mariner program, is it just sea days?? And if so, why are we even getting additional credits from HAL except to confuse poor souls like myself. :p

I had a confusing response, reportedly confirmed by Seattle, while on our last cruise about how HAL counts our cruise days.

My DH had well over 200 days by the computations HAL shows me online by our 3rd day of a 37 day, 3 segment cruise made with 2 separate reservations. HAL's online cruise day figure included days that were earned sailing as well as those that were from suite credits or onboard spending.

I enquired at the front desk about DH receiving his 4 star for the last portion of the cruise and was told that he was not near 4 star as they on count ON BOARD days, not the other suite or onboard spending-accured days. By that count he would have his 4 star at the end of the final cruise.

It really was silly so I didn't pursue it. But, I have to admit I am very confused. :rolleyes: So I ask my fellow cruisers, what days is HAL counting for the Mariner program, is it just sea days?? And if so, why are we even getting additional credits from HAL except to confuse poor souls like myself. :p

Well Sher, I think the HAL people misunderstood between the medallions (true sea days) and the mariner status (days, suites and spending).

4* mariners are NOT just sea days. That much I know. Dh and I are both 4* and not quite at 175 sea days - need I say anymore;);)

I think the confusion came from inquiring at the front desk. The only thing the ships award are the medallions. The 4* pins come from the mariner's society to the best of my knowledge. The ships don't have them. No excuse, but I think that's why you got the answer that you did.

Your 4* will arrive shortly if it was achieved in the mail:)

The person who said "on board" days was clearly wrong, but remember that you don't advance to the next level until 5 to 10 days after completing the cruise on which you reach the required number. This is apparently because it takes that long to do the accounting! :eek:

STAR program - POINTS based on days sailed, suite days, spending. Levels come into effect on the next cruise

MEDALLION Program -- strictly only DAYS count. Medallion awarded on the cruise that you achieve the level.

Sorry the Front Desk got it all wrong. The HAL website has this all explained under the Mariner program.

Yes, it sure appears they didn't understand my question. The front office answer was contrary to everything I'd read on HAL and here on CC, but the HAL front office Rep actually contacted me later as she had contacted Seattle and confirmed.

It wouldn't be the first time I had conflicting answers while onboard HAL ships and likely won't be the last! ;) :D

And if you log into "My Account" online (presuming you have one!) under Annoucements it will show an icon for your star level.

Dan

Thanks Dan-

DH is now in fact a 4 Star, he did in fact receive a pin after we returned home. By the end of our cruise, he would have been 4 Star just by seas days also. His online profile with HAL also now shows 4 Star.

Well Sher, I think the HAL people misunderstood between the medallions (true sea days) and the mariner status (days, suites and spending).

4* mariners are NOT just sea days. That much I know. Dh and I are both 4* and not quite at 175 sea days - need I say anymore;);)

I think the confusion came from inquiring at the front desk. The only thing the ships award are the medallions. The 4* pins come from the mariner's society to the best of my knowledge. The ships don't have them. No excuse, but I think that's why you got the answer that you did.

Your 4* will arrive shortly if it was achieved in the mail:)

I have to correct one thing kazu, they do have the '4' star pins on board. Several cruises ago, I notice my pin was not holding well so DH went to the concierge and they gave me a new one. Now I don't think they hand them out when you achieve your new star status, they let Mariners services mail them out.

I have to correct one thing kazu, they do have the '4' star pins on board. Several cruises ago, I notice my pin was not holding well so DH went to the concierge and they gave me a new one. Now I don't think they hand them out when you achieve your new star status, they let Mariners services mail them out.

No worries - I just knew they didn't hand them out on board:D:D thanks for the info;)

We got our Four Star Pins on board.

They were left on our bed the evening before the Mariners Party on the first cruise we took after they started the program. At that point, we already had well over 500 days. :rolleyes:

Both my wife and I became 4 Star Mariners on our Veendam cruise and were given our 4 star pins onboard at the Neptune Lounge. They did not give us the 4 star discount on that cruise. That will be on the next cruise in 10 days but we did receive the pins. As I learn more and more from the true veteran cruisers here I find out that consistency does not really exist aboard the ships.

For instance on both the Eurodam and the Veendam I was able to get cans of pop with my soda card. They charged me the can price but I did get the can. I just sat at the SeaView bar until the food and beverage manager made his rounds and asked them nicely if I could have cans instead. Both said absolutely. It may have had something to do with my wife's Weng Weng consumption...

You only advance to the next star level while on a cruise is when you are on a GRAND cruise all others you advance after you finish the cruise and mariner's society mails it to you.

We will become "5" star on our next GRAND cruise next year.

Following from Questions & Answers section on HAL web site.

Question: If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

Ray

You only advance to the next star level while on a cruise is when you are on a GRAND cruise all others you advance after you finish the cruise and mariner's society mails it to you.

We will become "5" star on our next GRAND cruise next year.

Following from Questions & Answers section on HAL web site.

Question: If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

Ray

Congratulations, Ray.

Enjoy your cruise AND your new Mariners Benefits. :)

Archived