Muster stations

A very important issue was brought up in another thread. There currently is no way to determine the location of muster stations as related to staterooms.

What are everyone's thoughts on this issue?

Glad everyone is OK this is your worst nightmare at sea, a middle of the night emergency.

It brings back to me a problem we had on RCI, we have two family cabins next door to each other and our children were in one they were 21 and 12. Despite being next door to us our muster stations were on different sides of the ship. I went to guest services to request a change of muster station for either them or us, they flatly refused. Can you imagine that situation happening and having to see your children go off from you?

I told them it was unacceptable and that if the worst happened my kids would be with us. Thankfully, it didn't happen to us, but if you travel on RCI (and other lines for all I am aware) with family it may be worth considering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like a lot of others, I followed this sub-topic on the Grandeur thread (I think someone mentioned "whiplash" trying to keep up). As long as the cruise line allows non-adults (on the same booking as adults) to be in adjoining cabins, the reservation system needs to have some method of identifying muster station zones to the booking agent to avoid families (regardless of age, really) being split up into different muster stations just because their cabins fall on a station dividing line.

I think the fault is in their allowing non adults to be in adjoining cabins. 21+ no exceptions

Yes, and not wanting to take this off-topic, but other lines do not allow that, at least not as far as the booking goes. If people swap cabins afterwards, I think it's at their own risk even though we have done it several times.

People are forgetting that muster stations are a worst case scenario. It sucks to be separated, but it is not a necessity to be together.

Thank you Wingates for starting a thread on this. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

YOU ROCK!

People are forgetting that muster stations are a worst case scenario. It sucks to be separated, but it is not a necessity to be together.

True enough.... but if the RCI res system contained muster zone info (which cannot possibly change that often), people could be informed of that at the time of booking and make a decision accordingly. Who knows? Most people might definitely say "hey, it's worst case so I want those two cabins regardless of muster station assignment."

P.S. As someone already said, thank you for starting this new thread.

True enough.... but if the RCI res system contained muster zone info (which cannot possibly change that often), people could be informed of that at the time of booking and make a decision accordingly. Who knows? Most people might definitely say "hey, it's worst case so I want those two cabins regardless of muster station assignment."

P.S. As someone already said, thank you for starting this new thread.

I agree, we travel exclusively with family and friends. I would prefer to have them with me if things were going "down"

Yes, and not wanting to take this off-topic, but other lines do not allow that, at least not as far as the booking goes. If people swap cabins afterwards, I think it's at their own risk even though we have done it several times.

actually Carnival will allow it. I have a client family of 5--3 teenage boys & parents--sailing in a month with Carnival. They allowed us to book with the 3 boys in their own cabin--had to be within 3 cabins of parents. They will only allow this with teenagers if their parents are on the cruise.

actually Carnival will allow it. I have a client family of 5--3 teenage boys & parents--sailing in a month with Carnival. They allowed us to book with the 3 boys in their own cabin--had to be within 3 cabins of parents. They will only allow this with teenagers if their parents are on the cruise.

If only there was a zipper-mouth smiley.

A very important issue was brought up in another thread. There currently is no way to determine the location of muster stations as related to staterooms.

What are everyone's thoughts on this issue?

Ok, I'll bite. You know this how? Did you call RCI? The muster stations are the same every week for all cabins on all 22ships, have you ever looked at the back of your cabin door? Have you ever seen the signage in the passageways?

Things have changed then on CCL since we last booked multiple cabins. Regardless, I'm thinking most parents would not want their teenage children sent to separate muster stations if (in wingatesl's words) things went "down."

Ok, I'll bite. You know this how? Did you call RCI? The muster stations are the same every week for all cabins on all 22ships, have you ever looked at the back of your cabin door?

No, I started an argument with poet123, and wanted to help cleanup the thread by moving it here.

It is not about biting on anything. It is an important topic. The muster stations are the same always, but families can be divided by them very easily.

We are just making people aware of the fact.

If only there was a zipper-mouth smiley.

LOL

Things have changed then on CCL since we last booked multiple cabins. Regardless, I'm thinking most parents would not want their teenage children sent to separate muster stations if (in wingatesl's words) things went "down."

unfortunately things are inconsistent on every cruise line!! I am so sure you are correct about the muster station issue. To be honest, I have never thought about this. Very interesting topic!!

Blatant plagiarism! No one wants to be stuck with a bunch of strangers. No one wants to worry about their kids stuck with a bunch of strangers.

I was just saying that when it does happen, you will be relieved that they are on a lifeboat.

I had never thought about this but it is important. RCI needs to add the muster station to its reservation system so that passengers can "see" if there are different muster stations. Or create a file for each ship that can be referenced easily. My family has 10cabins in a row on our sailing in the Brilliance. And I would like to know what the stations are Before final payment. It might affect who gets which cabin.

I had never thought about this but it is important. RCI needs to add the muster station to its reservation system so that passengers can "see" if there are different muster stations. Or create a file for each ship that can be referenced easily. My family has 10cabins in a row on our sailing in the Brilliance. And I would like to know what the stations are Before final payment. It might affect who gets which cabin.

Please call and let us know if they answer!!!!

Blatant plagiarism! No one wants to be stuck with a bunch of strangers. No one wants to worry about their kids stuck with a bunch of strangers.

I was just saying that when it does happen, you will be relieved that they are on a lifeboat.

Perhaps I misunderstood you.... but you did say if things went "down" you would want your family/friends with you. :confused:

No, I started an argument with poet123, and wanted to help cleanup the thread by moving it here.

It is not about biting on anything. It is an important topic. The muster stations are the same always, but families can be divided by them very easily.

We are just making people aware of the fact.

Then I take it you did not call:rolleyes:

I agree -- ideally a cruiseline would be able to provide a customer with all pertinent cabin information during the booking process, so that families can make informed decisions. Looking on a deck plan, there's really no way to tell where the divisions are. I would assume that connecting cabins are assigned to the same muster station, and I would assume that if you can figure out where the fire doors are that's probably a likely place for a muster station change. I would also assume that currently, the average booking agent when you call Royal Caribbean doesn't know any more about the muster station locations than I do!:eek: That seems to be something that should change.

I guess I wonder how well it would work in practice, given all the recent threads about booking agents not even having correct cabin configuration information.:rolleyes:

I've only been on 2 other cruises but both have been with a group of friends. We stayed on different decks yet we were assigned the same muster areas on both cruises....both times we were booked by a T A. I hope the same will happen in October when we sail. Though I hope there's never the need, as one person said, in an emergency it's nice to have the people your with close by.

Perhaps I misunderstood you.... but you did say if things went "down" you would want your family/friends with you. :confused:

I would like them with me, I do not require it. I would go through that event hoping that they made it onto a lifeboat.

Then I take it you did not call:rolleyes:

No, I am not calling. I am not concerned with it.

We are talking about a situation where most people have an urge to go grab their luggage. I know what really happens. As long as they are on a lifeboat, I am as content as one could be in the situation. That means being worried and worried, and worried, and worried, and worried.

I would like them with me, I do not require it. I would go through that event hoping that they made it onto a lifeboat.

OK.... understood. I'm not sure I (just me talking) would want to place my faith in "hope" in that situation however so I would really want to know if my family would be separated by muster station assignments when I booked so that I could pick different cabins.

OK.... understood. I'm not sure I (just me talking) would want to place my faith in "hope" in that situation however so I would really want to know if my family would be separated by muster station assignments when I booked so that I could pick different cabins.

Nor would I. That is the reason I find it such an interesting topic. It is something that is obviously the passenger's responsibility, that has not (aside from a booking requirement) been described as such. I don't have faith in anyone other than myself in a situation like this. I do understand that I am not in control of this situation though and will adapt.

I think they should provide the information, but I also understand that there are no better chances for anyone if I were to get involved. That is why I know that my child's would be as safe with anyone.

That is not hope.

Archived